1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*HP EliteBook 8530p/w Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Elite Cataphract, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dz2k

dz2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my hdd is a seagate ST9250421AS 250gb 7200rpm. its possible that your hdd is the original and has more storage.
    you are likely to need hp drivers from their site to clear the exclamation points in the device manager.
    f20 is the encrypted bios i think.
    what processor did you get in the unit?

2. MadGirlDisease

MadGirlDisease Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got an x9100 3.6 ghz Extreme.

Now if I only had 64-bit Windows 7 disks. I thought I did, in a retail box with both 32 and 64 bit, but after installing it, and being unable to activate, I looked more closely and found that they are for upgrades from Vista only. Gah!

I have a w7 clean installation disk, but it's 32-bit. I was really looking forward to 64-bit with all that memory. I guess I can buy a retail key.

If I have the serial number and coa, is it somehow possible to get a recovery disk from HP, or would any recovery need to be from the recovery partition? I suppose they would need some proof that I actually owned the device, and didn't just have the numbers.

This may not be the original HD. It didn't have anything that looked like a recovery partition when I checked, which is why I went ahead and initialized the disk before installing w7.

3. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The BIOS version you want to avoid is F.20, unless of course you know for sure you won't want to go back to an earlier version, or use a modded BIOS.

Regarding the hard drive, in my experience HP laptops mostly come with Seagates and Hitachis, but of course HP (as most other manufacturers) will use different component vendors, so the WD could well be the original. You can check to see if there are HP labels on the drive (showing the part number as 6+3 digits) - if there aren't, then it's an aftermarket replacement.

You can get Windows 7 SP1 disc images here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html
    Note that you'll need a product key to actually activate, though.

4. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
  5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Another good tell is to look at the manufacturing date on the hdd. If it's newer than your laptop, it's not original ;)

6. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Yep. I does appear to be an after market upgrade, a 7200K rpm WD Scorpio Black. And there's no indication of HP branding on it, which I've been told would probably be there if it was shipped that way.. does that sound right? EDIT: Doh! It was just a few posts above where I first read that.

7. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Thanks again for this. It saved me 63 dollars... I was about to buy a download only version online.

So I've now installed w7 and am setting it up. Have gotten all the updates, which added a number of drivers that brought out some of the HP-specific features, and upped the screen resolution to 1920x1200, way too small for most work, but will be really nice when I hook it up to a second monitor.

I think I'm going to like this "old" notebook, at less than half of the cost of new models that require too many compromises.

I've been looking for the setting for the touch pad, but haven't been able to find them. The scroll zone on the right doesn't seem to be enabled, all it does is move the cursor.

And I still haven't figured out what the middle button does, or how it works... I'm guessing that it does something similar to what a scroll wheel does on a regular mouse... but the setting s seem to be hidden somewhere. Any clues?

Thank you!

8. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No problem, glad I could help.

Yeah, older business-class laptops are great value for the money. I wouldn't want to give up my 6930p (same generation as yours, except 14" model) either.

Did you install the touchpad drivers? If so, go to Control Panel -> Hardware -> Mouse -> Device Settings, you should be able to configure both the touchpad and trackpoint from there.

If you haven't installed the touchpad drivers, you can get them from the HP Support Center:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) downloads for HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation

Alternatively, you can get slightly newer drivers straight from Synaptics:
    Drivers | Synaptics
    Those enable, among other things, multi-touch gestures like two-finger scrolling.

The most common use is probably to enable scrolling with the trackpoint when the middle button is pressed. But check out the touchpad settings as explained above, you can bind any of a number of different functions to it.

9. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Thanks, Indrek for that information.

I downloaded that Synaptics drivers from HP, and they seemed to install ok. Then when I clicked the "Mouse" panel in CP, (under Devices and Printers) I would get an error from "Synaptics Pointing Device" saying "Control Panel Extension is incompatible with Driver Version." When I closed that message, I was taken to the Synaptics Mouse/Trackpad panel, in what seemed like a working state. Then exited and tried again, but got the same message.

A search for that phrase shows that it's not uncommon. But before pursuing any of the solutions, I thought I'd try the downloading the more recent one from Synaptics. So I uninstalled the HP version. IIRC, as that completed I got a message that said I needed to reboot, and then added something to the effect that if the pointer was unavailable to exit windows using the keyboard reboot using. Sure enough, my mouse (trackpad) was frozen.

I rebooted and installed the Synaptics version and rebooted. This time, after rebooting, there was a "welcome"-like dialog from Synaptics offering to take me into the panel. Instead, I went in through Control Panel, and again got that message when I clicked the mouse link. And again, I was able to enter the Synaptics panel (though I didn't actually do anything in it.)

Does any of this mean anything to you? The info I've found on it points to a a problem with one of the .cpl files, but I thought I'd ask before I start poking around at that level.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it more closely, the Mouse Properties looks like it might not be for the 3-button track pad. There are options for 2 devices: Synoptics TouchPad V7.0 (with a photo that shows a 2-button pad), and a TouchStyk V2.0 (with a photo of a touch stick.) The title of dialog says Mouse Properties (Evaluation Copy.) This is the one I got from Synaptics.

10. dz2k

dz2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    after getting cosmetic repairs done last month, my middle touchpad mouse button stopped opening Internet Explorer tabs. Therefore, I uninstalled the current driver and installed the Synaptics TouchPad Driver (International) from the hp site. I have no error messages. as you stated, There are options for 2 devices: Synoptics TouchPad V7.0 (with a photo that shows a 2-button pad), and a TouchStyk V2.0 (with a photo of a touch stick.) you can go to the device settings tab, settings, and buttons to configure the middle button of the touchpad and the 3 buttons above the touchpad. now the middle button above the touchpad opens IE tabs..lol.

11. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To make settings for touchpad: Right click synaptics icon in task tray. Click on Pointing device properties. At the top of the window that opens up click Device settings. Now click settings in the mininwindow. In window which now opens you have instructions and a tree to open on the left to make all settings.
    Cheers!

12. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Hi all. Happy New Year, and thanks for replies.

Well, in trying to get to the bottom of certain oddities with the Synaptic driver, I decided that I would uninstall it and start from scratch. I uninstalled it from control panel, and restarted.

But when I get back to the Windows sign in screen, I have no mouse control at all -- the pointer is frozen at center screen, and I also don't have any keyboard access. The cursor is blinking in the password box, but typing keys does nothing.

I've tried this in Safe mode, and had the same results. That was kind of surprising.

I've looked in the BIOS -- where I DO have normal mouse and keyboard functions -- but (as expected) there's nothing in there that seems to have much to do with this issue. Windows SP1 64-bit is otherwise booting correctly.

I'm hoping someone might have some ideas for what I might try, short of restoring an image I took of the OS drive some days ago... long enough ago that I'd rather not have to redo everything done since then.

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!

13. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you have install media at hand? Restart install as you normally would, when you see an option "repair your computer" choose that one. Then you'll see list of options, one of the is System Restore. Hopefully you would have restore point available near driver uninstallation :)

14. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Good idea. The repair option on the install disk has come i handy in the past, but didn't occur to me this time.

I will try that and post outcome.

Thanks!

15. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    OK, the good news is that that worked: running repair from the windows install corrected whatever it was that was freezing both the touchpad and keyboard (though see below.).

The bad news is that the same thing happened again when I again tried to uninstall the Synaptics driver, downloaded from the Synaptics site, which I am trying to do because:

a) it doesn't appear to be working (the options I'm expecting to see are not there),

b) it gives an error before letting me into the mouse/pointer settings: "Control Panel Extension is incompatible with Driver Version."

c) I can not install the driver I got from the HP site because it is older than the currently installed one, and gives a message saying to uninstall that one first.

Windows repair doesn't have any restore points prior to when this started.

And now here's the worse news: although running repair worked the first time, it is no longer working. It finds nothing wrong (the details shows what looks like a series of all clears - 0x0) , tells me to restart, at which point I get to the login screen with both the touchpad and keyboard non-responsive.Looks like I will need to restore a full disk image I took at least 10 or more days ago to even begin to get out of this loop I seem to be in.

Plus -- when I start in safe mode, the touchpad and keyboard are also dead. That seems surprising. If I understand how safe mode works, it should get me into Windows before anything but the most basic drivers load. Which if true would seem to suggest that installing the synaptic driver somehow did something to either damage or otherwise make even the generic windows keyboard and touchpad drivers inaccessible. But that's just conjecture on my part.

One final thing I've discovered. When I plug in a regular USB mouse, I can get the mouse pointer to move, and I am able to click into the Password box, which focuses the box and gives a blinking cursor, but the keyboard is still dead.

Even though I can't get past the sign in screen, the computer is showing up in my LAN and access the d: drive. So everything otherwise looks ok. Except the input devices are dead. (I haven't tried a USB keyboard yet... my guess is that it would probably work...?

The driver I am trying t remove is (I believe)
    Synoptics (SynTP) (10/17/2013 17.0.19.0)

It came in a file named:
    Synaptics_v17_0_19_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Acme_Inc.zip

Anyone have any ideas what I might try instead of an image restore?

Is there some way to get into the drive with a command prompt, and either manually remove the Synaptic files, or restore whatever might be damaged?

Thanks.

16. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Personally I've never had that problem with either the HP or Synaptics drivers on my 6930p, in both Windows 7 and 8.1.

Anyway, do you have a USB keyboard you can try? If you have another computer, you could also try connecting to your laptop with Remote Desktop and rolling back the touchpad driver.

17. MadGirlDisease

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm making progress.

I went back to a restore point, from about a week ago. It didn't undo all that much, mostly some Windows Updates. In the Windows updates that were ready to be downloaded and installed was one named "Synaptics - Input - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad" So I installed it and rebooted.

At that point two things happened: I was no longer getting the incompatible message when clicking the "Mouse" link in CP or otherwise accessing those settings. And the Settings sub-window under the Synaptics Device Settings tab was able to properly load and pull in the settings tree on the left. Before, the left panel had only a couple of things in it, and the right side had a "not found" message of some kind.

Now I've got all the usual settings for the TouchPad V7.0 (I'm familiar with it from my Toshiba), and also for the TouchStyk V2.0. Before, switching between those two would cause the thing to go non responsive for a moment like it couldn't figure out what to do (plus the title bar said it was an "Evaluation Copy") So this is moire like what I was expecting... with settings for 3 buttons (although the graphic is still just 2)... and separate device settings for the pad and stick.

At the top of the Device Settings tab it says Synaptics Pointing Device - v15.0.24 03Jun10. The one I had been trying to uninstall was v17. But I think for now I'll leave well enough alone. What versions of these are others running?

Now I wonder if the update was sitting there before I did the restore. I'm tempted to restore the image I took before the restore, and see (after taking an image of the current state)... but I suppose I'm not all THAT curious. :eek:

The thing sure didn't fail gracefully!

It looks like maybe this is solved. Yay!

Thanks for bearing with me!

18. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good to hear you got it fixed :)

FWIW, on my 6930p it says "Synaptics Pointing Device - v16.3.15.1 25Feb13" (even though the download page on Synaptics' website says v17).

This is purely speculative, but given that most laptops only have two touchpad buttons, it's possible the generic Synaptics drivers simply haven't been properly tested with 3-button touchpads. In that case the OEM-specific drivers from either HP or Windows Update would be the way to go.

19. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again!
    The proper driver for the 8530p/w series Win 7 64bit, is Synaptics Version: 15.0.24.0 This allows all features of 3 button control.
    Cheers!
    Edit: I run SSD with System Restore turned off.Fresh install every 6-8 months for a tune up.This is the driver that comes down on Windows Update on the install. My guess you missed the update.

20. MadGirlDisease

Reputations: