*HP EliteBook 8460p Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by uprisingpure, Mar 21, 2011.

1. neromanto

neromanto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,
    I own a 8460P
    Can someone tell me or link me the safiest method (or a step-by-step guide) to update the bios?
    If I dowload the bios I found this instruction (that don't help me...):

This package includes several methods for updating the BIOS version, as follows:
    - Use the HPQFlash Utility to update the BIOS directly in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.
    - Create a bootable USB Key to update the system BIOS.
    - Use System Software Manager (SSM) to update the system BIOS on target PCs in a network.
    Depending on the desired update method, complete either of the Following steps:
    a) To update the BIOS using HPQFlash or to create a bootable disk on key, double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
    b) To use HP System Software Manager (SSM) to update the BIOS on notebooks/laptops in a network, copy the downloaded file to the file store and then run the SSM software.

I suppose the safiest way is to create a bootable usb key... but these "on-screen instructions" which are? Is there any video or picture?

thanks

2. KONATAonPC

KONATAonPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,
    I have an integrated graphics 8460p, is it possible for me to put the AMD graphics motherboard in my 8460p (And reuse the CPU, RAM etc. of course)? If it is could you tell me the AMD graphics motherboard's model number too? Thanks.

3. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Link to the service manual is in the previous page.

4. KONATAonPC

KONATAonPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Found nothing useful in there.

5. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Based on my experience on 8440p, you can swap the Intel graphics mobo with a dedicated graphics one without much problem, though you'll need a new heatsink to cool the graphics chip, otherwise with the original heatsink you'll need to put a copper shim on the graphics chip.

Part number for AMD graphics mobo: 642754-001
    Part number for discrete graphics heatsink: 642767-001

6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You asked for motherboard part numbers. They are listed in the service manual :) Along with numbers for all the other parts you may require.

Since you asked for the mb part number I thought you might want to see all the possibilities.

7. KONATAonPC

KONATAonPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry about that. I didn't know you were responding to the "could you tell me the AMD graphics motherboard's model number too?" part, I thought you were telling me to look in the manual to see if I could change the motherboard for a different one, which the manual doesn't say.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. KONATAonPC

KONATAonPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I suspected it would be possible but I wasn't willing to take any chances on a laptop that even has a whitelist on wireless cards. Will be ordering the the 642754-001 from Aliexpress for $60 (They have over 300 in stock so if anyone's interested that's probably the cheapest option). Ordered the correct heatsink too. I will post back here with results when I get the board in a month.

9. KONATAonPC

KONATAonPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Another thing I was interested in:

I was looking at the i7-2630qm as it was the cheapest quad on ebay. However I'd like to know if anyone has successfully run a quad in an 8460p that has the HD6470m in it, I'm aware that just the i7 quad on its own is okay (from earlier posts), but I get the feeling the single heatpipe wouldn't be suitable for a GPU and a quad i7 at the same time. Can anyone who's tried it confirm if it works well? (Meaning under 80c on both CPU and GPU under load.)

10. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apparently 8460p was available with i7-2720QM + HD 6470M when it was out so I think you're good to go.

Also from this site: http://benyouhui.it168.com/thread-5473169-1-1.html
    The guy was selling his 8460p with i7-2720QM (upgraded from i5-2430M) and HD 6470M, in point no.3 he mentioned it has been used as a server for 3 months without any problem so I guess the extra 10W TDP isn't an issue.