*HP EliteBook 8460p Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by uprisingpure, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    they have exactly same frame, that's why motherboard replacement is a viable option in the first place.

2. Dumblefty

Dumblefty Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I seen that. A site I was looking at screens had one 14 and another at 14.1 but it was wrong. I already ordered the 8470 board.

3. gino86

gino86 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi all,
    which 256 gb ssd for this notebook?
    crucial mx 110?
    crucial mx 200?
    samsung 850 evo?
    any suggestions is appreciated!
    thx u all!

4. tamarinde

tamarinde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any MX100/200, M550, 840/850 PRO/EVO or Sandisk Extreme Pro are good.
    Just buy the cheapest you can find out of all of these or go to AnandTech for comparisons to see if the others are worth the extra money.
    Again if it is just for normal use just pick the cheapest because they are all very good.

5. Henri Claytor

Henri Claytor Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to fresh install windows 7 64 bit on a raid 0 config? I'm running on F.60 FW with 2 ssd sandisk 256

6. gabrit

gabrit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all!

My ~3 years old 8460p's fan is starting to rattle, so i thought i replace it. I have an i7-2670qm without dgpu inside the notebook. When i heavily use the notebook, the temperature is rising up to 83-85°C (the idle temps are around 45°C). I know the limit is 100°C, but it's still hot.
    So, instead of replacing the fan, i thought i will it upgrade if i can. So, my question is: Do you know any fan, which is compatible with the 8460p, but better? I though, maybe the workstations have better fan, but i dont know if they are compatible.

Thank you,
    gabrit

7. MrMariusz

MrMariusz Newbie

Reputations:
    I have no idea about the fan, but if I were you, I would make use of the opportunity to also replace existing thermal paste (e.g. on the cpu). Three years is a decent interval to do so.

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Replace both heatsink and fan (afterall, they are often sold together). Heatpipes in the heatsink sometimes become less efficient in transferring heat.

Throw in a good thermal paste too.

There is no extra work related if you change just the rattling fan vs. heatsink too :)

9. klezmer41

klezmer41 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anybody run into this same issue? Soon after receiving the computer back from RMA, these vertical lines started appearing and got worse and worse until it became nearly a solid vertical bar. The last images are some weird thing the display is doing when bringing the computer out of sleep mode. It seems to be related to when I had the computer hooked up to an external monitor via VGA, and then switched between the various display modes (clone/dual-monitor/etc).

I've received some really terrible customer service from HP, and as a result am considering no longer buying HP business line stuff. I sent this computer in to have a dent fixed (that came with the computer when it was brand new) and a faulty power button, and got the machine back with nothing actually fixed. Then after sending me back an unfixed computer, they refused to do another RMA because the warranty had just ended.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

10. tiffield

tiffield Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys
    I have a strange problem with my 8460p I haven't figured out.
    The computer does no longer powers on with the battery inserted.
    If I remove the battery and do a reset by holding the power button down then use the ac adapter all works fine.
    When the computer is running I can insert the battery which is recognised.
    It reports a good charge (92%) and says it's charging.
    HP Battery Check finds no problem with the battery.
    However if I try to start up with the battery inserted and no AC I get nothing and if I plug in the AC still nothing.
    I have to remove the battery, press and hold the power button to reset and then run it from AC fine.
    I bought a new battery via Ebay and the problem is the same.

So no power is getting from the battery to the laptop even though the laptop reports that it can recharge the battery no problem.

Is this requiring a new system board or is there something easier that I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.