*HP EliteBook 8460p Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by uprisingpure, Mar 21, 2011.

1. shym_tx

shym_tx Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually, i don't see any difference between sata II and sata III modes. i think that high seq. read/write speeds are usefull for data transmitions. I've made some kind of a beanch by monitoring disk usage and speeds while working with different programs (Matlab, Photoshop, CADs). Speeds rarely exceeds max values getted from 4k test and at best case 2 or 3 times grater. for intel 520 120gb 100MB/s is upper limit. Usually 1-30 MB/s. May be other programs or games gets more profit from ssd drives.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1 for the above information!

3. bikerbabe

bikerbabe Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright guys, need some solid advice here. I've got a choice between 8460p and probook 4430s at a local store. Here are my notes so far:
    - 4430s is only $80 cheaper.
    - Processor: 8460p has i5 2.3GHz; 4430s has i5 2.4 GHz (not a big difference)
    - All other specs are the same; Standard options on both
    - Build quality on 8460p was better. Still 4430s was decent apart from a weaker base.
    - 4430s does have usb 3.0
    - Screen resolution: 1366x768. I wasn't impressed at all with this resolution on 8560p that was on display. Not bright enough, looks washed out when compared to 4430s screen. Not sure I'd want one if I don't get lucky with screen quality on 8460p, which seems to vary lot going by this thread.
    - Keyboard/touchpad on 8560p is awesome. Comparatively sub-par keyboard/touchpad is the only thing holding me back from buying 4430s.
    - Fan noise: couldn't really tell the difference in store..

So what's your advice?
    Best settings for 8560p to try in store?
    Anyone successfully swap out the screen yet?

Planned upgrades on either of these:
    Add 4 more gigs of RAM. SSD/HDD with ODD caddy. Extended warranty.

4. dav_jw

dav_jw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can confirm that it is possible to change the 1366x768 screen for a 900p in the 8460p.
    You just need to:
    A) Buy a new screen (70 or 80$ on laptopscreens.com)
    B) Buy the HD+ cable (about 20$ from HP Parts store)
    C) Completely (and I mean VERY completely) disassemble the laptop to switch the cables.

All things considered, I would recommend that you get the 8460p, I had the same dilemma (the 4440s vs 8460p vs T420) a few weeks ago, and I don't regret going for the 8460p. It is well worth the price. (Note that I based my choice purely on reviews, as I did not compare the two in a store)

5. bikerbabe

bikerbabe Newbie

Reputations:
    dav_jw: that's awesome! Can you provide a link to the LCD panel that you used? How is it compared to your old panel?..brightness and viewing angle-wise?

6. flat6

flat6 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought this laptop a few months ago and its been great and have been looking at ways to get a back lit keyboard on this model, i noticed the probook 5330m has the exact same keyboard and its backlit

http://newgadgetstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HP-ProBook-5330m-backlit-keyboard.jpg

is it possible to order a replacement 5330m keyboard and simply replace the 8460's board?

I'm fairly sure it'll just plug right in as its almost identical, just not too sure about the back light connector.

Anyone tried this before?

7. mrmorphine

mrmorphine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I performed a similar mod on an older Asus UL-series that I had.
    The 8460p won't have a connector for the backlit keyboard, but on the Asus you just had to solder two thin wires to the ribbon on the keyboard and then feed them to the appropriate pins on the internal SATA connector for the power.
    There is a posting on the Asus forum about doing it.
    Of course this would all be at your own risk, and dependent on the keyboard fitting the 8460p.

8. nkdv

nkdv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, long time since I last posted on the forum!

I got this laptop through my college, and despite the fact that I was completely intent on buying another, much faster computer for gaming (like an Alienware m14x/m17x or Asus G74sx) I really like this one. Granted, it sucks at gaming, runs most new games at basically the lowest settings, but I'm putting off my gaming hopes for now and sticking to the xbox. I use this for schoolwork and Photoshop/Illustrator/etc and it gets the job done very well indeed :) .

I have the config the school gives out -

i5 2520M @ 2.5GHz / 3.2 GHz turbo
    Integrated Intel HD graphics (school doesn't have the 6470 option!!!)
    4GB DDR3 RAM (runs @ 3GB on this stupid 32bit Win7, bottleneck issue)
    320GB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD
    you know the rest. Well, basically, this system can do much better, so I decided to go ahead and do my own little meddling around. I decided to install an SSD, 8GB ram and Win7 HomePremium 64bit for what it's worth.

[I did a test run with the 64bit version of windows, it runs noticeably faster since it actually uses all 4 gigs or ram that's already installed, as expected]

HOWEVER, the reason I came upon this thread was because I was wondering if the 8460p actually supports SATA600 (i.e. SATA III), but I didn't really find an answer to that :confused: LOL. Neither did I find answers elsewhere on the net (though I admittedly didn't search as hard as I could've). So I got hold of SiSoft Sandra and Hwinfo to help me find out if this enigma of a laptop has SATA600/SATA III support or not.

Okay, here I'd like to mention that I knew the chipset supported SATA III, but wasn't sure if HP had it enabled or not on this laptop - my reasons are perfectly sane ;) my school had this thing running on 32bit windows, didn't have the discrete graphics option, and gave me the 1366x768 screen rather than the 1600x900 one AND IT COST MORE THAN the higher-end 8460p configs ?????? :confused: Ridiculous!!

Well let's get to the point. It took me a while, and I wasn't paying attention enough but I finally (much to my relief) found evidence that this notebook does indeed support SATA III. I'll include a screenshot here :-

[​IMG]

I'll be getting the SSD asap and run some benchmarks to ensure that it's running at SATA III indeed, and keep you guys posted. For those of you who were/are on the fence like me about whether you could reap the full benefits of a fast SSD on this system, I hope this helps you make a decision! I'm taking the plunge - those extra seconds gained from booting / hardcore graphic design work are precious for me!

9. wyemarn

wyemarn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This notebook supports SATA III till BIOS F.20. HP disabled SATA III since F.22 and they reason they give is they never stated SATA III support in specifications.

10. nkdv

nkdv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't know that, but I haven't updated my BIOS from the F.20 yet and if it's as you say, I think I'll keep it that way! Thanks for the info :D