*HP EliteBook 8460p Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by uprisingpure, Mar 21, 2011.

1. jaid

jaid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use Linux (Debian, kernel 3.2.7) so the temperature is monitored by the kernel itself. I think Windows people tend to like SpeedFan for temperature monitoring. It can control fans too, depending on how your BIOS does or does not make that faculty available. For mobile, though, I would let the BIOS control the fan as it sees fit, probably.

At idle my temperature (CPU=2630QM) is about 38C, in 18C ambient environment. Right now it is at 45C in same ambient, but I am running bit torrent with 25+ open torrents, have a second external display connected where I'm watching a long youtube video, and just finished burning two CD's. I have hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS. I've found that disabling this can lower temps, though that happens because your CPU is having more empty pipelines and not working at peak. This is more noticeable when doing something intensive like compiling a large software project (5+ minutes at 100% CPU).

Hope that helps!

2. jaid

jaid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, Linux has been having a hard time lately with power management, etc, so your CPU temperature numbers in Windows should theoretically be better than mine.

3. Judge22

Judge22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've resized partitions on 500 GB internal hdd and now F8 Windows Restore and F11 HP RECOVERY options do not work.

Be careful with disk management.

4. VAIO-II

VAIO-II Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm a Sony VAIO lover but I now need machine that means business.

It needs to be powerful machine capable of running an ERP System (SAP, Oracle etc) with Server, Databases, Virtual machines etc....all in all powerful application that are resource intensive.

I'm about to or am considering the HP Elitebook 8460P range but want to know does this model/range have the ability to upgrade Memory to 16GB/32GB. Minimum 16GB (two slots of 8GB DDR3 RAM) or in an ideal world 32GB, so I guess would need four slots since 16GB sticks don't exist I believe.

So in summary my question is if I buy a HP Elitebook 8460P can I upgrade the memory to a minimum of 16GB?

I highly appreciate your response and thanks again for your expert opinions.

5. blaze84

blaze84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A maximum of 16 GB can be installed.

Attached Files:

6. dasboots

dasboots Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!

For those that wonder, if your bios is locked you can still change the hard drive in the laptop and boot from it without having to enter the bios password.

7. wyemarn

wyemarn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed an OEM 2670QM into my 8460P. Temperature rose around 5-10C during idle at around 55C. I notice Turbo is not working and my CPU is stuck at 2.2Ghz. I don't think temperature is problem. Is there any settings I need to change for quad core CPU in BIOS?

8. curt12345

curt12345 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

New member here with a 8460w, I7 2630QM. Wondering if anyone has moved to the newer bios, F20+ and had any issues with Turbo-boost being disabled. I see that the 8560 folks are having problems with the newer Bios. I have F3 and Turbo works fine.

I have some direct connections to HP through work and we are about an 80 percent all HP shop, Net Admin here.

I like the laptop, I also have an 8730w which has been a great desktop replacement and spends most of its life in the docking station.

The screen on the 8460p/w isn't that bad in my opinion, I didn't expect it to be high contrast, its a matte, 1600 X 900.

I ran passmark burn in and it failed on temps according to them, around 93-94C , did the cpu/gpu paste(Thanks for the guide) and temps are about 5 degrees lower on CPU, arctic 5, pulled the thermal pad from GPU and it seems to run cooler as well.

I ordered a Panasonic UJ-260 BluRay Burner off flea-bay, did this mod on the 8730W with a UJ 240, Panasonic makes the best laptop bluray players and burners in my opinion. HP has software to play BluRay on the download site for our laptops, around 120 for the drive.

I also ordered a Samsung 256GB SSD and I want to take advantage of SATA 3, hence the reason I am asking about the bios updates, it looks like I need to move to F22 to get that but I don't want to lose Turbo-boost, I am wondering if this is more of an issue on the Dual Cores and not an issue on the Quads.

9. wyemarn

wyemarn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've not seen many 8460w owners here and indeed Turbo is disabled for F20 and above. I upgraded to 2670QM on my 8460p and found out Turbo doesn't work. I have tested both F20 and F22.

I suggest you stick to your current BIOS until everything is fixed. Once you upgraded to F20, you can never downgrade to anything lower. HP took a few steps backwards and I hope their engineers are working on a fix for these problems.

Another advice on SATA3. F22 disabled SATA3 and I can confirm that. F20 works fine with SATA3 though.

10. curt12345

curt12345 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I will install the SSD with the old bios and see what happens.
    I'd rather have turbo than SATA 3, hopefully they will fix the latest bios rev to allow Turbo and SATA 3, F20 is the "better" of the two bios, I might make a call to our HP rep and see if he can give me some info on the next bios update.