*HP Elitebook 800 Series Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by JayWalker7, Oct 4, 2013.

1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've looked at that review several times but never noticed the mistake. I have a built-in spellchecker in my brain... :p
    It is actually 2.5" slot for any hard drives.

I just bought m.2 2260 ssd from ebay. Haven't received it yet but when I do, I'll be rocking 250GB m.2 and 500GB 2.5" SSD in my 840 G2.

For the screens, ebay seller bumblesale mentioned above seems like a decent one. I might try that myself some day, since my current screen has some clouding at the edge.

DooMMasteR and corrado85 like this.
  2. corrado85

corrado85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks mate

looks like i'll be getting a 2.5" ssd and a screen as soon as I am ready :)

3. albex

albex Newbie

Reputations:
    corrado pvt message for you

Xanxi likes this.
  4. 4everAnoob

4everAnoob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have Intel turbo boost on battery set to disable in BIOS, but turbo boost is still active. What gives?

5. 4everAnoob

Reputations:
    Did anyone notice that HP managed to cram 5 extra watt hours into the battery of the 840 G4?
    This begs the question whether the 51WH battery, type TA03XL, fits in the 840 G3. Any volunteers?

6. hbootz

hbootz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed WIn 10 Pro on my 840 G3 (was shipped with Windows 7...)

Soundcard is not working most of the time (red cross over the speaker symbol), auto repair doesn´t find anything wrong.
    Sometimes after reboot it works, most of the time not.

In device manager everything seems fine:

Conexant ISST Audio
    Version 9.0.81.0

Any idea?

7. 4everAnoob

Reputations:
    Sorry I really can't help you with this. I have done multiple reinstalls of W10 Pro and each time the audio gets detected automatically without issues, and you get the bang & olufsen control panel as well. Try to see if W. Update finds anything or try a driver from HP website.

Well I have used the 840 G3 for a while and.... what can I say. It is an HP product I guess...
    I still have this weird issue where I have the brightness set at 75% for example, and suddenly it jumps to 100%. It then stays there for a minute and reverts back to 75%. And I never touch the brightness control. It happens very rarely. I only use the Windows 10 brightness control on the bottom right, which goes in steps of 25%. If I use te keyboard shortcut, the entire brightness control screws up after a while. It is probably a unit specific issue :(

Battery life, that's another sad thing :(. 6 hours is possible, if I throttle the CPU to 1.6 GHz. Windows uses too much CPU from time to time, causing the CPU to burn 6,7 or more watts while doing nothing. Does anyone have a better fix for this, as the reduced performance is really annoying from time to time. I'm glad I did not buy a Core M device, however, because it really needs the boost frequencies to feel snappy in day to day tasks.

Touchpad is good but surface could have been better. Fingerprint is pretty damn good as well. Keyboard is nice enough too.
    If I had to do it all again, I'd probably go for the Dell E5470. Especially now that the 5480 is an epic fail (terrible 1080p screen like the stock HP 1080p display :p )

8. ihartmacz

ihartmacz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, sorry to get off-track, but did anyone find what was needed for swapping a QHD screen into a FHD 840 G3? I too am having trouble finding the 40-pin cable even with searching PartSurfer for a known QHD model.

9. 4everAnoob

Reputations:
    So I still have problems with my 840 G3, and I believe it is hardware related.
    The brightness still changes by itself randomly.
    One time the WiFi adapter disappeared from the system and only returned after a reboot.
    Sometimes is shuts off while in standby (hard power off). One time it shut off while loading windows.
    Downgraded BIOS to 1.10 and brightness problem remains.
    Sucks because I have a swapped screen, so I would have to put the original screen back if I want to use my warranty I guess?
    Or they would take it back and then I might lose the screen, right?

10. Xanxi

Xanxi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I can't find if the cpu is replacable in the 840 g1. I fear not and it would be disapointing compared to my other Elitebook 2560p and 8560p. Would like to upgrade from i5 to i7.

Envoyé de mon Tab2A7-20F en utilisant Tapatalk