*HP EliteBook 2560p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Jun 15, 2011.

1. schdragga

schdragga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you applied http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-2510p-owners-lounge.352887/page-33#post5638409? I will add square heatsink on the upper half and will leave the lower half soon... Energy settings are important too (processor max and min).

2. bartekzx

bartekzx Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone post a working link to DC_optimized?

3. wd8dky

wd8dky Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I plan to upgrade my 2560p CPU to an i7-3632QM. I'm fully versed in changing the hardware, but was wondering if I need to change any specific BIOS settings in order to get the new CPU to work properly.

Thank you very much for any assistance!

4. def_now

def_now Newbie

Reputations:
    I am currently deciding between a refurbished HP EliteBook 2560p ($170) and Dell Latitude E6220 ($210). The 2560p is slightly cheaper by about $40.

Since 2560p is a 2011 model, I reckon the set has been used for at least 3 years or even 5 years. Thus, I would like to hear from present and past owners of 2560p here how long your 2560p has lasted for you without issues, barring physical drops, knocks and other trauma. I am more interested to know how well the electronics (motherboard, Wi-Fi card etc.) inside lasts without physical trauma under normal usage.

5. schdragga

Reputations:
    Hi def_now
    I'm using a 2560p i7 for half a year know: it had been used about 4-5 years beforehand 8 hours a day. The laptop is rock solid, but heavy. What is annoying: the fan (allthough I applied Nando's mod). The screen is ok, but not brilliant (mostly I use the docking station, that's why this point is not important to me). The upgrade to Windows 10 takes some time until all the hardware is properly supported (there is a manual which drivers should be used here in this thread, which is not perfect, but ok). The Dell has a IDT soundcard as well, so you would have similar problems installing a idt driver (there is no windows 10 idt driver). I would go a new i3 or i5, on sale for about EUR 350 (e.g. Lenovo IdeaPad 100-15IBD, Core i3-5005U, 4GB RAM, 500GB disc at EUR 320). You have to take into account the price for a new battery and may be a new hard disc/ssd buying a used laptop.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But don't forget 2560p can be upgraded to quad core i7 while E6220 and the IdeaPad can't, and you lose some useful goodies on the IdeaPad, e.g. ExpressCard slot (eGPU?), docking port, WWAN, removable battery etc.

As for audio driver, I don't have any problem with that. Once you extract the files, run the setup file with Windows 7 compatibility mode. That's how I installed the driver on my Latitude E5510 (which also has IDT audio chip).

7. schdragga

Reputations:
    There is no problem to install the idt driver (I can recommend the win 8 Version on the hp home page, but it sounds artificial compared to the Standard MS driver). However the 3.5mm audio of the docking station only works with IDT.

8. hbootz

hbootz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    we have a 2560p and a 2570p running at home - perfect workhorses, we´ve taken the 2560p around half the world on vacations, too.
    not heavy, very reliant, very good and stable chassis

my 2560p is from 02.2012, bought it as leasing return in 11.2015, since then no probs at all.
    upgraded to 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD

the 2570p of my wife is "new", bought it as leasing return a month ago, again upgraded to 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD
    I´m slightly jealous - her´s is with a UMTS module and more important - USB 3.0 ports :)

The fan is ok, not as annoying as in my 8560w :)
    and my 840G3 is superquiet - but several times the price as the 2560p/2570p :)

9. schdragga

Reputations:
    @hbootz
    There are cheap 34 mm Express Card to USB 3.0 cards, I have ordered a USD 5 card with nec 720202 chipset at aliexpress. Hope it works without any problems.
    Regarding the upgrade to 8mb: when do you realize a positive effect?

10. hbootz

hbootz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually have a 34mm ECard, not working that great
    is recognized, works, speed is fine

actually can´t remember right now why I was dissatisfied, though... might be that the card sometimes came a bit loose = no connect then

my card: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00C7NV69C
    CSL - USB 3.0 Super Speed PCMCIA Express Card Karte (34mm / 2 Port)

4 vs. 8GB combined with a SSD: in my normal scenarios no real difference, only when I´m using a VM in addition