*HP EliteBook 2560p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ADB100

ADB100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Touchpad hardware fault?
    I have a 2560p and the touchpad is behaving oddly. I am running Windows 7 x64 SP1, all updates applied and the latest drivers from HP's website. The touchpad will be fine initially and then will just stop responding. The TouchStyk continues to work as do both sets of buttons. If I navigate to the mouse settings in Control Panel, select the Synaptics tab and then 'reset devices' it will typically recover but only for a random period of time. I have removed and reinstalled the latest drivers from the 2560p support page on HP's website (v17.0.18.8), removed the drivers and let windows install the default PS2 driver and also installed the latest driver from Synaptics website and the behaviour remains the same.
    I also noticed on a couple of occasions when I entered the BIOS that the trackpad was unusable. It seems to get worse if the laptop has been on for a while. I therefore suspect this is faulty hardware and was wondering how difficult it is to replace the touchpad? This is well out of warranty and I have seen some on eBay. I have also seen some disassembly instructions, however can't see any specifically showing how to replace the touchpad?

Andy

2. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you've read this assembly guide: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalciti...tiCountry/disassembly_notebo_201151025958.pdf
    You'll find that once you remove the motherboard, you'll see the touchpad, you can remove it then.
    So basically you need to take your 2560p apart, down to the motherboard.

I replaced the touchpad on my 2570p (very similar to 2560p, use the same touchpad) two weeks ago and the procedure was pretty much the same, took me about an hour and a half to take the laptop apart, replace the touchpad and put the parts back together.

However, it may just be a connection problem, you can try it by reconnecting the lower ribbon cable next to the SmartCard reader.

3. Pichu

Pichu Newbie

Reputations:
    I am owner of 2560p from some time. Upgrades done so far:

USB3 express card
    2x4GB DDR3 Crucial Memory
    128GB Crucial SSD

On the way to me:

Intel I7 2760QM, bought really cheap (£75)

4. Pichu

Pichu Newbie

Reputations:
    So upgraded processor to i7 2760QM. Performance rise noticeable. Temp rise as well. After changing thermal grease to gelid load temps was about 94 degree in full stress (2 hour gaming - Resident Evil HD Remaster). Drilled holes in service lid. 10 degrees celcius temp drop, so its good now.

Definitely 65W charger is not enough. When playing game on power supply, battery being drained - battery meter says plugged in not charging. I had to let the battery cooldown for 15min to being able to charge it again. Bought 120W adapter, will post results when its arrive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361586774873?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    solnyshok likes this.
  5. solnyshok

solnyshok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please keep sharing your progress. I also drilled holes in mine and reseated cooler. Have more plans for custom cooling solution.I am got Samsung 850 ssd in place of HDD, it takes only 1/3 of the HDD space, so I am thinking about adding 2nd heatsink there. Also removed CD/DVD, another area for 3rd heatsink. I really would love to modify this lappy so, that fan turns on only during sustained heavy workload. Basically, browsing web should not trigger fan at all.

6. Hullister62

Hullister62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, new poster here. I've just picked up one of these for a bargain £100 ($120) so pretty pleased so far. Planning to do quite a few mods, so far HD swapped for a 512 SSD, spare 2gb ram to make 6gb. Ordered an optical dive caddy for a second hard drive and will be constructing an eGPU ExpressCard setup once the PCI express adapter guys are back in stock.

One thing though, it has the original i5 2520 which I'd like to upgrade to a quad. I tried fitting an i7 2720 last night and couldn't get it to boot. Swapping back the orginal i5 was fine so is there any reason why the i7 would fail? I'm getting the flashing caps and num lock. The i7 was a used ebay purchase so I'm thinking it's just dead so should return to sender, but just wanted to check in case I needed to pre-flash the bios before swapping or some other reason?

7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Check the service manual. If I remember correctly there used to be different motherboards for i5 and i7 CPUs.

8. schdragga

schdragga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a million for this advice, it's important to fulfil the fingerprint steps in order to get rid of the unknown device! I have uninstalled the most recent intel update utility and installed the older one, SP53918. Everything works now with

9. schdragga

Reputations:
    on ebay.com you should search "2560p dvd faceplate"

I would download the windows 10 installer from Microsoft. Nevertheless after a while I had serious problems with big updates: I could download, but they were not installed (no error message). That's why I downloaded a windows 10 update pack. I will continue with this kind of pack every 6 months. Not willing to reinstall everything...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
  10. schdragga

Reputations: