*HP EliteBook 2540p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by 2.0, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris32303

chris32303 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had HP overnight me a new keyboard so I replaced it this morning. What's weird is the new keyboard is also slightly raised on the left hand side of the keys. It is the strangest things I've ever seen in a laptop! I can't figure out what is causing it because everything underneath the keyboard looks fine. It's a flat surface. I suppose I'm going to just to have to live with it.

In regards to the 3.5mm speaker jack, mine works fine.

2. rsuen

rsuen Newbie

Reputations:
    Audio failed on 2540p. 64bit WIN7 Pro, 8gb, 160g SSD Intel G2
    Audio failed after 2 months and motherboard replaced by HP. 4 days after motherbord replacement, Microphone/Headset jack was not switching from on board Mic/Speakers with iphone headset plugged in. Updated IDT audio and video drivers, plugged in headset, briefly heard audio then all audio failed again. Sent it back to HP for repair. Not sure what is going on with this one.

1-23-11 THandks HP for fixing this one.
    Ok got it back and the issue fixed with another MB. I noticed the audio "pop" when the power button was pressed is gone on this repair. Could be a coincidence that this noice was present on previous MB's before the failure.

3. Trinka

Trinka Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a 2540P and noticed a mini pcie slot when I replaced/upgrade the wifi card. Does anyone know if the mini pcie slot is compatible with a mini pcie SSD? I have searched around and found an Intel 80 GB SSD located here

Newegg.com - Intel Soda Creek SSDMAEMC080G2C1 mSATA 80GB Mini PCIe (SATA) MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If anyone knows if this will work or not I would appreciate some feedback. If it will work, do you know how to install it (I know how to physically o install it, but will it need some drivers or a bios update?)

Thanks

4. ethan__hunt

ethan__hunt Newbie

Reputations:
    Same failure and replacement also on my 2540p,the combo jack for microphone and headphones looks like a fragile component.

The same on my 2540p, the area around 'W' and 'E' keys is slightly raised,
    seems a problem that affects more than one keyboard.

5. chris32303

chris32303 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nando4 or anyone else,

Is there a modded bios anywhere for the 2540P that will quiet the fan? The fan comes on about every 5 minutes (sometimes sooner) and will run for about a minute but it's extremely loud. Are there any options that I can do to change this?

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    First, I have only now discovered this thread and, as an owner of the 2740 - the tablet version of the 2540, more or less - it is most welcome. Unfortunately the sister forum to this for convertible tablets, TabletPCReview.com, has very little traffic on the Elitebook threads.

Noticed the exact same thing on my 2740p when I was changing a bad wifi card. That find, at Newegg, looks really interesting, especially for 2740s which are restricted to 1.8" drives, currently capped at 160GB. And the price/GB is not bad at all.

I have to admit, I've never quite understood the difference between pcie and ExpressCard ports, other than the size/shape of course. Do they both link directly to the motherboard? Different data speeds?

Shout out to Mr. 2.0. Missed ya. You must know the answer to this. ;)

7. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    Would you mind elaborating on this comment? Why do you find the Protect Tools software so odious? I did find they were loaded with security tools I do not use or want, but I was able to slim down the PT "suite" primarily to support the FP reader and it doesn't seem to bog the machine down nor put me through the ridiculous prompts for multiple passwords/smart card/mother's maiden name :D to make sure I am "authorized to use my own computer.

I am using a 2740p, not 2540p, but aside from obvious differences (case is all metal on the 2740, better screein options, $400 more for equivalent configuration and, uh, it's a tablet. ;)

Am I using a computer that is having performance problems due to the Protect Tools modules I've installed without knowing it? It seems very snappy and does fine in benches; can you suggest a benchmark to use?

8. Trinka

Trinka Newbie

Reputations:
    I called the HP help desk and asked, the lady I talked with did not sound well versed in the HP 2540P, after sitting on hold for a couple mins, she returned with some interesting information. She said that a SSD is not compatible with the mini pcie slot next to the WIFI card (she explained (sounded coached) that the pcie slot is located in an area on the mobo that does not recognize storage?), and that the mini pcie slot is compatible with WIFI/GPS and video card/accelerators. While I have not tried this (yet) I found and ordered a mini pcie video card (link below). It should be here within the next couple of days so I will post a reply soon.

Newegg.com - Habey HB-VD904 Broadcom Crystal HD PCI express Mini Card AVC/VC-1/H.264 Enhanced Hardware Decoder/Accelerator - Server Accessories

9. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    mPCIe SSDs do not work in wifi/wwan mpcie slots as they do not have sata pins on them.

HP whitelist their mPCIe slot so your Broadcom decoder won't be recognised. You'll need DIY ViDock Setup 1.x's anti-whitelisting feature to overcome that. Though those hardware decoders are usually used in netbooks with slower IGPs than the Intel HD one provided with a 2540P/2740P.

10. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    Thanks for that unwelcome but helpful info. And thanks to you, Trika, for searching things out - even if you did get me excited only to be brought down. ;)

I don't understand whilelisting very much, but is this beyond any kind of hack? Know if there is a reason HP would partially disable the slot? Do most/all other mfrs do the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.