*HP EliteBook 2530p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    thinkaddict,

you haven't given any definite evidence that there's something wrong... like maybe the temps >_>

2. jdbfdhsvbhdvhs

jdbfdhsvbhdvhs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Speaking of temps, does nayone else notices higher temps when using windows 7 compared to Xp? Just upgraded and my battery life, noise and temps got worse (subjective comment, nothing measured)

3. butwhyme

butwhyme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know I'm very late to the 2530p party (esp as the 2540p is out), but I got mine *really* cheap since its end of line / ex demo. But very happy with it so far! Much much better than my 2510p (u7600) - so much faster - gone are the 5 min boots :) Battery life probably isn't quite as good (sl9600) but its close.

I know this question was posted ages ago, but here's a definitive answer....

My 2530p came exactly the same. The answer is YES.
    Buy part 492567-001 - ExpressCard cage assembly - $27 delivered (direct from the HP part shop Australia). It is literally the cage and eject button - the actual expresscard socket is on the motherboard already.

You then have to follow the 2530p Maintenance and Service Guide on page 88. It is not for the faint hearted. You pull apart the *whole* laptop - hard disk, DVD, screen off, keyboard off - everything. Try not to mix up / lose screws along the way. As someone else has talked about, the hardest part is getting the keyboard out - it is glued on (which the manual doesn't talk about). Just gently lift it forward, and use a flat screwdriver to directly loosen the glue. The next difficult part is removing the top cover of the laptop to gain access to the motherboard. Once you've got the motherboard itself out, the expresscard assembly is pretty easy to change for the smart card reader (which is actually an expresscard 54 card). NB - you will need a T8 hex screwdriver

Good luck.

4. butwhyme

Reputations:
    Has anyone got the Samsung 128gb SSD
    Model : SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBH1
    Firmware : VBM1AH1Q

in their system? It does NOT support TRIM :-(
    I've been hassling HP's technical support - who were completely useless. I spoke to about 5 different technicians - and they varied from not knowing what TRIM is, to getting the firmware of the SSD confused with the BIOS, to
    asking me to attempt to install firmware for a Intel SSD, and a non-matching Samsung SSD. Finally they fobbed me off by telling me to talk to Samsung - but they specifically say on their website that this is a HP branded SSD, and they do not release firmware directly - only from HP.

Anyone have any idea how to update the firmware? I have a feeling its not a mainstream 2530p hard disk - hence the lack of support.

BTW this thing flies! Boots into win7 64 in 30secs, resume from hibernate in 20sec, hibernates in less than 10sec! Its faster doing day to day stuff than my Lenovo w500 (T9600 / 4gb / Seagate Momentus XT)...

5. butwhyme

Reputations:
    Does anyone's LCD flicker when pressing keys - only on the very lowest brightness setting? Even with the ambient light sensor off?

Has anyone else noticed the extreme power use of the un2400 WWAN card? My power consumption goes up from 8w to 14w when I turn the thing on. Also it never seems to get more than 2 bars reception....I'm using the built in win7 control to connect to Optus - and reception seems to be poorer than my 2510p WWAN....

6. jdbfdhsvbhdvhs

Reputations:
    First of all: Congrats! About some of the questions you've made my screen does not flickers since it was replaced. My old one used to do that but its gone. I so envy you for your top-loaded config, I wish I had the wwan card and the ssd.

About the 2540p, the one thing I love is the exaust fan now has more space since they changed to a much better port layout. Thats about it, performance wise I wish it included the ULV processors found on the alienware m11x R2.

7. butwhyme

Reputations:

Thanks fakeplasticblah...did yours flicker at any brightness level? Mine only does on the very lowest setting - and its only slilghtly (I can probably live with it). Otherwise there are no complaints.

As for the WWAN card -
    HP un2400 EV-DO UMTS HSDPA 3g Card 4 2730P 6930P 2530P - eBay Parts Accessories, Wireless Networking, Networking Communications, Computers Networking. (end time 11-Oct-10 09:41:08 AEDST)

$43 delivered to Australia. Very simple to plug it in. The only hassle is the non-standard screw to hold it in (not included) which is a different size to that stated in the manual. I drove around town for a half a day looking for one - and in the end cannabilised one from my 2510p.

8. andries82

andries82 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a question about the SD card reader: Does anybody know up to what capacity the reader supports and more importantly, whether it is capable of supporting class 10 SD cards that shuuld deliver up to 30mb/second.?

Thanks!

9. jdbfdhsvbhdvhs

Reputations:
    Any answers on the temperature readings? Could you guys measure yours with Windows Xp or Windows 7 (whatever you have installed) when idle? Thank you. I remember having around 50 °C in Xp without the fan always on option.

10. tweakertje

tweakertje Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question
    i'm planing to change the intel5100 wifi cart to an intel 6200 or 6300 card because they are faster BUT are the whitelisded???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.