*HP EliteBook 2530p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snagnot

snagnot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone.. I have a 2530p that doesn't work after taking out the RTC battery to clear a lost password.. It will power on with a blank screen for a few seconds and then restart over and over again.. Can it be fixed?

Thanks...

2. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Nando,

Thanks for the tutorial on the PLL pinmod, I was able to successfully pinmod my 2740p sl9300 last night. I didnt have much time to do testing yet but I was able to set my bclk at 330 @ 1.2V using setpll but I would get memory errors when I tried to run programs. So i went down to around 310-315 at a lower voltage and it seemed stable (Max temps were early 80's after some stress testing) although I will have to do more testing today.

So a few questions,

-will following step 3: flash the PC2-5300 RAM specs to one RAM module help with increasing my overclocking headroom? Can I just follow the same steps listed in your links?

-In the DIY Vidock tutorials you mention overclocking the PCI-E bus, how do I do this?

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes. I flashed one RAM module to PC2-5300 spec. The chipset then pulls back RAM and 4500MHD timings giving more overclock headroom. I also changed the 333Mhz SPDTable entry to have CAS=6. I too otherwise encountered instability at ~315Mhz bclk with the PC2-6400 timings.

This is how you'd do an BCLK+ pci-e overclock:

1. Edit \setpll\chkcpu32 to contain "set cpu=L9300", "set multi=6"

2. Copy the \setpll\chkcpu32 files to \setpll

3. Do a 330Mhz bclk and 125Mhz pci-e overclock with small ramp for stability. 125Mhz pci-e probably needs the 30cm DIY ViDock mini HDMI cable for reliable transmission. There's also 100, 105, 110, 115, 120Mhz entries in the LUT if need to pull it back a bit.

Code:
    setpll ics9lprs397dklf 315.325.330 125
    1.2V is too high. You'll be able to run lower than that for sure. Finding the lowest stable overclock voltage will bring down full load temps.

Did you manage to take some photos of the PLL TME-unlock mod while doing it? It would help other 2730P owners to replicate your pioneering efforts.

4. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I forgot to take some pictures... Getting to the pin took a lot of work, I had to totally disassemble everything, even removing of the heatsink/fan to get get to it (The HP service manual instructions are very good however). What I can say is it looks nearly identical to your picture so anyone who decides to do the same mod on their 2730p can use that and the datasheet for reference.

When i get home from work later today I will attempt flashing one ram module... will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

5. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just one more thing, the 30cm mini hdmi cable, is this the same thing as the dealextreme one?

6. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    INFO: Adding a MC8780/MC8781 3G/HSPDA WWAN card with GPS

The steps below show how to successfully add a MC8780/MC8781 to a 2530P. This provides mobile internet on the go without needing a USB dongle. Turning on the radio and using the WWAN card sees a > 2W power load so expect battery life to decrease while in use. I disable the USB port the WWAN card is attached on when not in use to maximize battery life.

1. Flash the unwhitelisted 2530P modded_bios. Without that will otherwise get 104 - Unsupported WWAN device error, limiting you to only using the HP certified WWAN cards.

2. Purchase an unlocked MC8780/MC8781 from ebay for < US$30-delivered. MC8781=US, MC8780=Asia/Europe/Oceania. I chose the MC8780 over the Gobi-2000 (UN2400) because it was cheaper and I prefer the simpler Sierra Watcher interface. The Gobi-2000 appears to not have a generic connection manager so would need to use Lenovo's software to connect.

3. Put cellophane tape over the MC878*'s pin20, 42 and 44 as shown then install in the WWAN slot with antennas attached. If don't cellophane pin20 then the card will not be detected. If don't cellphane pins 42+44 then the wifi will intermittently drop out when the WWAN card is installed.

4. Install 3G SIM from your preferred internet provider in your 2530P's SIM card slot.

5. Install Sierra Watcher software. MC8781=Aircard 881U, MC8780=Aircard 880U

6. Enjoy your 3G and GPS functionality as demonstrated by my 2530P+MC8780 screenshot below.

7. Optional: create a shortcut using devcon to disable/enable the USB port the MC8780 is using to quickly disable/enable it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  7. tweakertje

tweakertje Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @nando
    I have dual ida working and for your score table here are my results

sl9600

2.40/266/x9

8. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Nice result. It's been added to the revised INFO: 2530P Overclocking.

I also believe your L9600 would get a 2.9-3.0Ghz overclock if you attempted the the TME-unlock + setPLL overclock again, details of which have also been revised in that link. At that level the WEI.cpu would be somewhere b/w 6.6-6.8, putting it just shy of full-powered i5 territory.

9. butwhyme

butwhyme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well after a year, my beloved 2530p has packed it in. It saw the HP technician about 3 times - 2 replaced motherboards, and a replaced trackpad. Now its developed a a loose connection meaning the screen becomes garbled, and I have to physically push on it to get the picture back.

I'm fortunate enough to be getting a 2560p (though I've been waiting for 3 weeks already). Not looking forward to the weird keyboard layout, and the increased heft, but the speed will hopefully be worth it :)

10. Charuz

Charuz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

can anyone tell me if it's possible to use a 2,5" SSD in the caddy as a primary drive for the OS and the 1,8" HDD only as storage or is there any performance disadvantage ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.