1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP dv9000t - Speakers stopped working today (headphones are fine)

Discussion in 'HP Pavilion Notebooks' started by VoltronAD, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizi411

bizi411 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem on my hp dv6000 for a while. Headphones would work just fine but the built-in speakers stopped working. At first i thought there was no way it was a sound card problem b/c if it was the sound card, neither the headphones or internal speakers would work... but i updated and reinstalled drivers anyway. No luck. Then i noticed the speakers would sometimes work for a second when i removed the headphone jack. I then knew it was a short in the jack connection or just a bad connector in the jack. Sooo, I just plugged in the headphone jack a bunch of times and after about 20 seconds ramming, the speakers were working just fine and i haven't had a problem since! Sounds crazy but it worked for me.
    There is a physical contact that switches the current from the internal speakers to the headphones. The contacts have been known to be faulty. make sure this is not the problem before blaming it on drivers/soundcards/antivirus software.
    A friend of mine also had a similar problem, but he took his computer apart and gave the contacts in the jack a good cleaning and everything worked out fine. Of course, don't open up your laptop if you don't know what you are doing. ;)
    hope this helps :)

2. zaitron

zaitron Newbie

Reputations:
    @bizi411
    used philips 390CCS contact cleaner.. sprayed it directly into the jacks.. and then plugged and unplugged my headphones a dozen or so times. and speakers have come back to life :D
    thanks.

3. Infamous22

Infamous22 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think that might be your only option, unless you use external speakers.

4. tandaradei

tandaradei Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

had the same prob with Dell Inspiron 1705. Blowed air for a bit, jammed the jacked a couple of times and (thankfully) it went away. Now im scared of using my headphones...

5. hustheman

hustheman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for some of you this might work
    reinstall drivers but unplug your headphones when installing the new drivers

6. xxbadboys93

xxbadboys93 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem is with the ribbon cable. Its a known issue with these hp dv's.

7. GHtechguru

GHtechguru Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this might sound ridiculous, but Here it goes. I have a DV9408nr or generically a Dv9000 HP laptop and i have been trying to get the sound to work since one day it just stopped. I took the entire computer apart, wiggles some connectors, bought a new speaker off ebay for $4, and in turn I ruined the connector to the on board switch, ironically enough, I got mad and banged on the laptop near the mouse pad three times pretty solid but not hard enough to break anything and all of a sudden the sound started to work, I think there maybe a miss connection or glitch on the motherboard but it seems a little bit of vibratory manipulation seems to fix the issue.