1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP dv8000t Reinstallation Guide

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by MDesigner, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodpalacios

rodpalacios Notebook Enthusiast

V3000T
    I clean installed WinXP Pro SP2 following instructions on the starter of this one (MDesigner #1) until step 20 and for the QP installation I followed the dv200t installation guide (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=59471). From there on I follow a bit of each guide until I got everything to work (I think): SATA enabled, Direct QP, sound/modem OK. My lappy is incredibly fast now!! (I still need to install my programs though, so we'll see). I couldn’t have done it without you guys. Thanks a lot!!!

PS: The only thing I don't see any more in the task bar is the little antenna-like icon, but my wireless works and BT is installed. Does it mean I'm not using all the capabilities of the PRO/Wireless? BTW, I don't have any question signs in the device manager.

2. mitebbots

mitebbots Notebook Enthusiast

I have an DV4000 (DV4170) with a DVDRW that will not show up. I am only showing a Primary IDE Controller in the device manger. Could this be something to do with the QuickPlay feature? Possible to install QuickPlay 2.1 on this machine? I do not have CDROM access so have to boot to OS CD etc.

3. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Notebook Guru

does this guide work for the dv2000?

4. fdlazarte

fdlazarte Notebook Consultant

5. matthewt

matthewt Notebook Enthusiast

I have had trouble before installing the MCE2005 OEM that normally comes in the 9-in-1 disc. It would not accept the license key on the COA sticker beneath the laptop.

I did finally find an unattend.txt file in C:\I386, and I will try that in a VM tonight before I reinstall according to the guide. I'll post my results later this weekend.

6. matthewt

Ok. I've tried the sticker, the one in unattend.txt and the one for Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. I can't get any of these to register as a valid product key.

Exactly which version do I need to use (Pro, Home, MCE, and Retail or OEM)? I'm using VMWare to test, so that I don't lose my current installation when I try to reinstall.

7. matthewt

I've been doing more research, and apparently Windows won't accept the product keys that HP gives out, and requires that you use the OS Cd that they ship with 2005-and-previous systems.

8. forgotmyname

9. MDesigner

MDesigner Notebook Consultant

Thanks. You may just wanna try using this guide to reinstall the dv2000t. I think some people have had luck doing that.

10. forgotmyname

it doesnt matter what type of windows xp i use right?

11. MDesigner

Probably not.

12. pureheartedsoul

pureheartedsoul Newbie

I have dv5118tx. I had disabled sata native support...i was able to install a copy of windows xp but after I enabled sata support got a BSOD 0x0000007B inaccessible boot device...disabled sata and I am able to boot. also cannot install Conexant HDAudio and Modem drivers. I would appreciate any help that you guys can give me.

13. MDesigner

Make sure you've installed the proper SATA drivers before enabling SATA in the BIOS again.

PS, guys.. please don't PM me with questions. Sorry, but I'm a busy guy and don't have time to answer every question. I spent hours working on this guide and if you follow it 100%, it seems to work just fine. If you're having trouble, re-read and do it over again. And keep in mind, this guide was written SPECIFICALLY for the dv8000t. If you have a different laptop, I can't guarantee this guide will work for you.

Now if HP wants to send me a new laptop every time they make one, I'll be glad to write a new guide. :D

14. hakoreh

hakoreh Notebook Enthusiast

did anyone have a problem with the mute hot key button?

15. hakoreh

you forgot directplay. when pressing DVD button when notebook is off, it boots to windows.

16. MDesigner

Yes.. in my first post I said "QuickPlay" but I meant "DirectPlay". I didn't get mine working, so maybe someone else has answer on that one.

17. hakoreh

i got mine working..following your guide

basically you install quickplay (not directplay) first, then you install the quick launch keys. restart. install directplay. restart. let it initialize and do all that stuff..a few minutes..and then it should work. it did for mine. (no jinx!!:))

maybe though you can answer this question. i only have one exclamation point in device manager - under mass storage controller. as far as i know everything works yet i have this exclamation point and i tried to install from swsetup looking in a few choice folders and windows update found nothing either. what could it be? lastly, windows update offers driver updates to the sound and quickplay buttons should i do it?

18. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Mass storage controller sounds like the media card reader. Make sure the drivers for the media card reader are installed properly.

19. jimithing78

jimithing78 Notebook Enthusiast

this is a question about the dv5000t. i'll post it here instead of creating a new thread b/c the reinstall is basically the same.

i got my volume and mute button working, but prior to formatting when i changed the volume i would get the green bars on the bottom of the screen to show me how high or low the volume was. kinda like what you would see on a TV when you change the volume. anyone know how i get that back?

20. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

This should give you the on screen volume and mute display...
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=1378664&postcount=15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.