*HP dv8 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by rageman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Gesher

Gesher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't waste your money : Using SSD on DV8 doesn't make a big change !

I love my DV8 so much but unfortunately it seems the PM55 chipset is our throttle and compeletly disapointing
    I've installed a samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD near the old Mushkin Atlas 240GB SSD, and I expected ~ 280-300MBps (SATA II max. speed) , but their speed is too low and really terrible[​IMG]
    it's look like SATA I !

Pls share your results.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got windows 7x64 pro and windows 10 x64 pro on my DV8. Now that the Windows Media Center hack stopped working for DRM cablecard on w10 anniversary edition, I am thinking of putting windows 8.1 pro x64 on it. Are there any clean install instructions for this OS on the dv8? Will all builtin devices work fine (TV tuner seems the most questionable)?

3. bloodhandsv

bloodhandsv Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my hands on a pretty well-conserved dv8 last week, but it's battery is dead so I'm planning to get a replacement. My battery is 14.4V, 4840mAh, 73Wh, 8-cell I guess (HSTNN-OB75). I also noticed online that there are also 10.8V versions available for dv7/dv8/hdx18 etc. I am looking online for any clues whether this is a mistake stating it's compatible with all these models or the 10.8V results when using 6 cells intead of eight and this 10.8V is also PERFECTLY compatible with dv8. I found a HSTNN-OB74 (China replacement, not HP genuine), which says 10.8V, 5200mAh, but when searching this part number online, I also find information that HSTNN-OB74 is also available in 14.4V version.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

4. windstrings

windstrings Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The eight cells are the same voltage they just total up to more amp hour capacity. Seems you need a new battery about every two years in these things

5. bloodhandsv

bloodhandsv Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, I understand that. But are 10.8V batteries compatible with dv8? I'm asking this because on the HP parts webpage I only get 14.4V 8cell replacement for this laptop model (dv8-1220ef) and no 10.8V replacement options.

Getting a new battery for most laptops is just a matter of chip reporting it as bad, which usually happens if you leave your battery inside your laptop all the time and barely use it without AC power. I'm speaking from my personal experience with a dv9000 which I got brand new and never used it on battery without AC power cord connected, but the battery health dropped down in 1-2 years to zero. This is why I usually prefer to have an almost dead battery inside to avoid shutting down directly when there is a power issue at the mains OR if that's not possible, I prefer to have a dead battery inside to fill the gap or no battery at all. The good battery is always inserted only when needed and for charging to 100%.

6. bloodhandsv

bloodhandsv Newbie

Reputations:
    I have another question. Did anyone noticed the small bottom vent holes of the fan? it seems only 1/3 of the cooler/fan surface has holes, the other 2/3 is covered completely. I compared to the hdx18 bottom case and some guy on hp forums said that he changed the bottom case which has better airflow because the vents are bigger and he is right: the hdx18 has all the corresponding surface free with drilled holes, whereas dv8 has only 1/3. Is this really an issue of the dv8 or is this "feature" allowing a better flow of the air which also gets sucked up from the top of the case, near the power button? I thought about drilling holes to free the rest of the vent surface, but I also thought HP could have done this themselves if this was really necessary. I opened up my unit, cleaned the cooler assembly, changed the cooling paste with new one. Now, under high CPU/GPU usage, I get 60-65C temperatures on GPU and 75-80C on CPU. I don't use notebook external coolers or pads, but I have two half-sphere plastic elements which I glued onto the battery so my laptop is lifted approx. 5cm from the table onb the back.

7. bloodhandsv

bloodhandsv Newbie

Reputations:
    Because my dv8 had a French keyboard layout and as I couldn't find one with an English layout in my country, I tried my luck with using a dv9000 keyboard... and it worked! This idea came to me when I noticed the size of the 2 keyboards is the same.

First, I wanted to make sure if I'm right and measured the contacts from the keyboard connectors from both the dv8 and dv9000 motherboard to see if the pins are the same number and layout. They were, except that the connectors were in mirror, which needed the keyboard flexband cable to be connected upside down. Then, I removed the thin rectangular plastic pieca sticked to one of the sides of the dv9000 keyboard cable and folded the ending connector so it would go on the other side of the cable. Then, I connected the folded cable to the dv8 and tested which confirmed the dv9000 keyboard works like a charm on dv8.

Next, I had to make the keyboard fit, as the screw mounts and cable position were positioned in totally different spots. Therefore, I removed the metal screw suppor, I ripped off the pieces of metal from the sides that secured the keyboard in the old dv9000, including the screw sockets, I refolded the keyboard cable to get it into the right position and I sticked the keyboard to the dv8 case using two sided adhesive tape, after positioning the keyboard at the right place.

I like the dv9000 keyboard more because the keys have a rough surface, while the dv8 keys have a shiny one.

windstrings likes this.
  8. mtc5826

mtc5826 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi all,

I have a DV8-1110ea which died during a BIOS update a few years ago, machine switched off accidently. Since then the hard drives have been removed and wiped. I would like to get it working again so appreciate any help you can provide.

When I boot up I get black screen with flashing CAPS LOCK light and flashing light over number pad. Fan is running. Power light is white and hard drive light is orange.

I have searched Goggle and found numerous articles suggesting BIOS is corrupted or motherboard is dead. My BIOS is F25 and motherboard is part no 573758-001 (according to HP manual).

Is it possible to check if BIOS chip and motherboard are damaged or dead or working fine? if so then please advise what I need to do.

Is the BIOS chip soldered in place or is it just pugged in? If BIOS is corrupted then can I repair it myself or do I need to send away for repair?

Many thanks, appreciate any guidance.