*HP dv8 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by rageman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. cyborgLIS

cyborgLIS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EDIT: Accidental double post

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. cyborgLIS

Reputations:
    EDIT: Accidental double post

3. VasKlouts

VasKlouts Newbie

Reputations:
    I had exactly the same issues... the problem is hardware related (NOT SOFTWARE) and has to do with the wearing out of chip weldings on the motherboard due to heat or sloppy welding process.... i took mine to a local (non HP) electronics repair shop and they fixed it new... no problems since then....

4. VasKlouts

VasKlouts Newbie

Reputations:
    why do you need the HP recovery disks for... I myself and i going to install an SSD in my DV8 since one of my SATA drives (luckily the slave one) died out.. what i am going to do is slave my master drive and clean install windows 10 on the SSD....

5. cyborgLIS

Reputations:
    So I can do a factory restore. I'm sure a clean install is fine, but I also like the idea of having the computer exactly as it was shipped. I know this will come with the bloatware, but it also guarantees that all of the drivers and possibly fine tunings are installed. Also some of the preinstalled software can be desirable. I feel there are things that come with the factory state that cannot be simply downloaded and installed. Also I understand the restore disks offer a minimalized restore without some of the bloatware, which I am interested to check out.

6. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would like to find a replacement battery. I still have my old HP 73Wh original 8-cell battery. For about $30 I ordered a 12 cell from EBay. It was advertised as 7800mAh. Actual battery had printed capacity of 7200mAh. Then batteryinfoview showed a designed capacity of only 6600mAh. Deceptive and very frustrating. So I returned this one. Also decided the 12cell raises the dv8 too much. Now I would like a recommendation for an aftermarket 8cell with at least 73Wh which is about 5000mAh. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. VasKlouts

VasKlouts Newbie

Reputations:
    well, bare in mind that software evolves as well.... besides i hardly ever saw a piece of HP software working properly.
    I am happy to report though that i took my DV8 apart... removed both hard drives and installed a 250gb SSD in one bay.... nothing in the other... I performed i clean install of Windows 10... Optimized Windows for SSD storage and the notebook flies... Windows 10 takes up less than 15 gigs of space on my new drive.... the removed hdds i am going to turn into external drives for storage....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  8. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Anker 8-cell battery seems great at about $40. The reported capacity is 5200mAh, matching what is printed on the battery. Feels well made. Hopefully it will hold up.

10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With my DV8's DC-in jack when I jiggle the charger plug I can make the little LED go on or off. However, in the notification area the battery icon is solidly showing plugged in/charging while the LED flickers from jiggling. Replacing the DC-in cable seems a big deal as it requires removal of the display and 60 screws. I have a replacement DC-in cable, but I am not willing to invest the time to replace it if my only problem is the LED right next to the DC-in jack. Again the DC-in jack seems solid because when I jiggle it the computer's battery icon keeps continually showing that it is plugged in and charging. Also even when the light is off the charging percentage continues to increase. Other than this the computer works great. Any thoughts?