*HP dv7t Quad Edition (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by mattmjb0188, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowmonk

shadowmonk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since there is all this discussion about heat on these laptops. When I ran a few stress tests my processor gets up to 80, highest I have seen is 83. Now, I run Seti@home and some other BOINC projects at 50% CPU and 40% utilization in order to keep my temperatures between 65 and 70. Now when I turn everything off it gets to between 55 and 60, this still feels on the high side. I know it's within limits, but I want to get those temps down, specifically the BOINC process time as that what it runs at around 80% of the time.

From what I can tell from discussion and looking at it this laptop does not have any externally exposed fans but pulls the air to the centralized exhaust location across the entirety of the base. Because of this, wouldn't something like the Zalman, or similar models that focus more on the bottom half, be better because the air would be drawn up through the vents from the exhaust fan? And even if you bring up concern about the vents up top, those will still get air from the cooler because there will not be 100% suction of the air, most of it will disperse under the entire base of the laptop, making its way to those vents.

I think the validity for drilling holes in the zalman or flipping it around would hold true more in laptops like my old zd8205us that had 3 fans on the upper portion where the air was pulled directly onto the CPU and GPU. The design on the dv7t does not seem to lend itself to this theory that applies to previous generations of laptops.

Now, onto an actual question, beyond getting a good cooler, is there anything else that I could do bring these temps down to a more reasonable level?

Based on my "theory" on the venting I am looking at the Thermaltake Massive line, a big 23cm fan right in the middle of the cooling pad but I'm open to suggestions as well.

2. josephlreyes

josephlreyes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thats not theory , its fact. The zalman 2000 is a good cooler for this laptop because it pushes alot of air and its output lines up well with the notebooks vents.
    Throwing a massive amount of air underneath the notebook is the general idea behind the thermaltake massive line .Its a good idea.
    If you like the thermaltake you may want to compare its specs with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ies+-+Notebooks/Tablet+PCs-_-Antec-_-34997410

Antec notebook 200. (It moves alot more air...only thing its a little noisier.) had I known of its existence at the time, I probably would have picked it over the zalman nc-2000.

Oh..and I believe the max idle temp spec of this processor is *50

3. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After several hours of "business" use (word, excel, powerpoint, email, web), my temps are 46,44,49,44 on the four cores. Core #2 is often higher than the others (sometimes peaking at 51 or so).

Honestly, using a Laptop PC for BOINC is asking to trouble, in my opinion. Laptops are not known for their ability to dissipate heat. On the other hand, I have owned several brands and I really like this dv7t quad.

Next time I play Left 4 Dead or some other graphic game I will post my temps.

Regards,
    R

5. paval2

paval2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I also have this bag... very tough and durable, plenty of room. I can fit both my dv7t Quad and dv6t in it at the same time. I strap the dv7t in with the velcro straps and I actually put the dv6t in a sleeve and lay it in on top of the dv7t then zip up the bag. Room in the outside compartments for both power supplies w/cords and 2 mice and misc. stuff. Yea, it's heavy when all said and done, but carrying strap is holding up fine so far, but then I don't carry it far.... just out to the car and from the car into work.

6. pkirangi

pkirangi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I Have a dv7t quad core i7-820QM, 8 gb ram, 1TB harddsk.
    How do I find out what is current driver version of the chipset? And where do I get the latest version of the driver from. I belive the HP website does not have the latest drivers.

7. LettyWhiterock

LettyWhiterock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My usual numbers, according to RealTemp:
    After running a Prime95 torture test: ~79C-83C peaks over four detected cores
    While playing Mabinogi NA on minimal settings, windowed, fullscreen: ~77C +- 4, GFX 65 +- 5
    Idle: 49 +- 5

My high core is core 4, which consistently scores the 83 on the temps. This is with a Thermaltake USB fan blowing directly onto the lower half of the laptop :(

I like the idea of the Zalman, but I don't like how HP decided to move all of the intakes far far away from the hotspot and where I think the proc/heatsink is (back left corner). I'm not sure it'll be too effective.

8. Devilsbane

Devilsbane Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is always a best practice to go straight to the manufacture's website for drivers. Windows Update and HP are both there as a convenience. If those drivers work for you, great, but if you are experiencing problems find the manufacture's website.

9. Devilsbane

Devilsbane Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For anyone that wants blueray, when customizing your laptop HP wants to charge $350 to upgrade from your standard drive to blueray.

On the HP parts website, you can either buy the standard blueray drive for $277 (part number 516351-001) or the Blueray drive with lightscribe for $222 (part number 516352-001).

This doesn't sound right so I would appreciate someone to check my work. First of all why would they be so cheap when everything else is over priced ($43 for a cmos CR2032 battery anyone). And second why would adding lightscribe to it make it cheaper?

The other thing I'm looking at is the exchange price. For example on the 516352-001 lightscribe drive the exchange price says it is $145. It says that if you don't return your drive within 15 days they charge the $145 to you. So couldn't you just order the exchange with no intent to return a defective drive (since you bought a different one) and pay the $145?

The link to the page I'm looking at is http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=6A450BA3B2DA47379566E241CB78FDBF&SearchIn=Product and again I would really like someone else to weigh in their thoughts on this.

EDIT: The link doesn't take you right to the page I was looking at, rather to the seach page. I searched WM838AV as the product number. Also I think I see why the exchange drive is cheaper, it's refurbished. But still $145 for a refurbished blueray drive with cd/dvd burner and lightscribe is a good price. $222 for a new one is also a good price.

10. franky_402

franky_402 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^^^
    I just went to ebay and ordered a refurbished blu-ray drive for 102.50 i was not spending no 350 bucks, im kinda cheap like that. Thats another option for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.