*HP dv7t Quad Edition (3XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by mattmjb0188, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. messeduprex

messeduprex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Should be. The 240m is only a slightly overclocked 230m 500mhz(230m)-550mhz(240m) & 1100mhz(230m)-1210mhz(240m). Nvtune has a safty feature that if your temps go too high that it will switch back to the default clock speeds. You can set this feature to what you want. If you don't want the gpu to get to hot set it to what u feel comfortable with. The best thing to do is overclock it to half of your target and then benchmark the system. Keeping a eye on the temps. If everything goes well no errors and temps are good repeat. With those slightly higher clock speeds shouldn't raise the temps much higher. Just make sure not to touch the memory clock speeds.

2. josephlreyes

josephlreyes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your GPU is real good and if your CPU is 37* idle, thats also real good. Try playing a blue ray or a video game or google some benchmarking software that puts a load on the system and see how your system reacts when its working harder.Unless your in an igloo somewhere in Alaska, you dont have a tempature problem.

3. computerstriker

computerstriker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't double post. You posted the same question in the dv8t's owners lounge

4. LettyWhiterock

LettyWhiterock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Specs:
    i7 720QM Quad (1.6Ghz)
    nVidia320M
    4GB RAM

According to SpeedFan, my GFX is hitting 70C after about 3 hours of MMOs, and my CPUs are somewhere in the vicinity of 70C give or take 5C, peaks 80C once every hour of regular play. Ambient is about 23C or so. This is with a wireframe laptop riser at 15 degrees off horizontal and a Thermaltake USB fan blowing directly on the intakes on the back left bottom of the laptop. Not sure if this is in the saferange for the laptop or if I should kludge together a more invasive cooling solution. Haven't looked at the BIOS to see if there are any fan speed settings available. I'd love a throttling solution if available.

5. josephlreyes

josephlreyes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When I first got my laptop I emailed Nvidea customer service and asked them what the max temp for the 230m was and they replied either *70 or *75 ( It was a while back and I dont remember 4 sure which one ,but I think it was 75)I think a good laptop cooler is good investment for this combo( HP, NVIDEA and i7) I had a new zalman NC-2000 before my laptop arrived.

6. Devilsbane

Devilsbane Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anybody know what the difference is? Which one is better?

Thanks

Also, My pc shipped today. Was said to be ready by Friday and now it is supposed to be here by Friday. Woot

7. LettyWhiterock

Reputations:
    I've been looking around for the 720QM temps, seems peak 80C is a good number for heavy loads (which, praise the Korean MMO scene and its bad optimizations, is normal) but the fact that I peak out at 70C on the 320M (or was it 230M, I don't remember) after a few hours is telling me I need to back down a bit from the grinding :p I should get RealTemp and CPU-Z to keep an eye on them too, see what they say.

Overall, it's a good system, can't wait to get a HDTV to hook this baby up to for some delicious HD fun and games. Still giving me tons of worries about heat though, especially after my last Pavilion...

8. Devilsbane

Devilsbane Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HP's Total care plus accidental damage warranty should fix a heat related issue, right?

9. LettyWhiterock

Reputations:
    "If it ain't broke," etc.

But seriously, although I have some degree of faith in HP hardware, I have minimal faith in their ability to assess and repair. Customer service turned me away one time for my first HP laptop because I wasn't able to reliably reproduce an overheating GFX card problem, and replacing/repairing it took them at least 2 weeks.

That being said, I do have 2 years Total Care, but I don't want to cash in on it just yet. I'm still tuning the fan position and ride height to see if there's any advantage to raising the laptop to 30+ degrees off horizontal and adjusting the fan angle accordingly.

10. Devilsbane

Devilsbane Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But what I'm saying is that if it would overheat and then no longer work they should fix it. In that scenario they have no choice as the computer won't turn on. There is a clear problem.

I was just wondering if that is going to be covered or if they are going to try and push the blame to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.