*HP dv7t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Dabman, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm looking right now the dv7-1020us at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147749) and have good specs but i need someone to help me out if knows the following info:

*Battery life (average):
    *Gaming (could run COD4, TF2, Crysis (at least with shaders/shadow med or low?, future games with some restrictions at medium levels?)
    *Upgradable CPU or GPU?
    *Reliable? at least 2-3 years?

Thanks in advance

2. charonill

charonill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I guess it's myth and my boot time improvements comes from disabling alot of services. But did didn't hurt me to try. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I thing the battery life is pretty good. My battery meter program estimated about 3:40-almost 4 hours of battery life on power saver mode while I surfed the net and listened to music(haven't try gaming on it yet, not likely since performance takes to big of a hit).
    As far as gaming go, benchmarks run by others on the forum shows you can run COD4 on high very well. I've run Crysis at medium with decent framerates(definitely turn shadow low if you want better fps). Check out Chaz's benchmark of the dv5t if you want to know exactly how it does.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=286033

Neither the CPU or the GPU is upgradable once it's been built, but the RAM is (of course) and there's an extra HD slot if you didn't get two already.
    As for the reliability, it's a bit early to tell, but the construction seems pretty solid on mine, even if it's plastic so it could potentially last at least that long.

3. Chris Redfield

Chris Redfield Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The battery life sound superb :O

Sorry for make more questions but i seriously thinking this one to buy next:

Do you notice any lag using the laptop or trouble while tasking wth one program to another? I know the CPU is slow than the newest ones, but the remaining additions are the best one ever.

Also do u feel that is overheating taking care? runs cool?

And finally :D, Do you bought any warranty from the Hp website?

4. Steve08

Steve08 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone, for your prompt response,
    I’m certainly going to turn off some services and uninstall some programs, until I get the windows DVD,
    And to people who are still considering buying, this is a beautiful and powerful machine, and I like the webcam is better than my dell webcam, and the full set keyboard is great with the num pad. I don’t have the infinity display and the screen really looks good, but does reflect sometimes, depending on the color on the screen.
    I’m still wondering one thing, since it has two video outputs, HDMI and VGA, can it support two monitors at the same time, like a HDTV and a Monitor?
    I know you should have two video cards to be able to do that, but I’m wondering?

5. mittman84

mittman84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have always build my PCs before, and this is the first laptop I have bought from a manufacturer. There is a TON of junk on here I don't need, but the problem is I dont know what I can safely remove, and what I need to keep. Has this been covered before here? Is there a list anywhere? I would appriciate any help. Is there a guide or anything?

Thanks

6. timesquaredesi

timesquaredesi MagicPeople VooDooPeople

Reputations:
    holy cow. i ordered a set of logitech z-5500 speakers from amazon yesterday at around 4pm. they are coming from pennsylvania.

i checked shipping status right now and they are already out for delivery!!!!!!! i ordered yesterday at 5pm and only 18 hours later, they're going to be at my doorstep!

superman must work for fedex.

7. jpzsports

jpzsports Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My est delivery is Friday :)

8. charonill

charonill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nothing unusual for a window's operating system (the few minor program freezes are expected) and it generally run's pretty fast, but then again I have the T9400 2.53Ghz processor. As for heat, extended use on any laptop will make it kinda warm, the dv7t is fairly cool when used for normal stuff like web browsing etc (left hand rest can get warm since that's where the HD is). It will get noticabily warmer when gaming, but the top will never get hot, lift the back of the laptop by about half an inch to reduce heat (running Crysis got my machine pretty toasty, but then again, my laptop isn't in a very ventilated spot right now). No, I didn't have much money so I didn't buy any of the warranties.

9. trifle77429

trifle77429 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought I'd post one last time now that I've been using my laptop for a week.
    It arrived three days early than est. date. It came with two little dents along the top near the forward and rewind icons, barely noticeable with all the chrome.
    This laptop is extremely fast for me, It blazes through vista windows, I can have explorer, a game, and notepad open with no problem. It alt-tabs out of my games super fast. I love this thing.
    On the downside the screen glare is driving me crazy. I've been using it at my work desk with a tiny window behind me and I keep having to adjust the laptop to see it. It is also a giant dust magnet, I think I'm going to set it in the middle of the living room, so I wont have to dust the house. I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those $50. screen filters =(
    Also while its super fast I wish I had gotten the large 5400rpm instead of two 7200rpm drives. They aren't bridged and I can't seem to find too much use for the second drive, other than a place to hold my music and pictures.
    Also its REALLY heavy, but totally worth lugging around =D

So I'm a girl, I bought this as a desktop replacement for my home, and to take to work to play games (I have a boring receptionist job).
    I know don't know a whole lot about computers other than it better work when I want it to, do what its supposed to do, and do it fast without giving me problems, This one does ! It will also do some of your housework for you, I love it !

Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53 GHz)
    17.0" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
    4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    HP Imprint Finish (Mesh)+Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader for HP BrightView Infinity Display
    FREE Upgrade to Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    No High speed 56K modem port
    320GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    No TV Tuner w/remote control
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    HP Color Matching Keyboard
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

10. OmegaATL

OmegaATL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am sort of worried that I opted for the 160 GB x2 @ 7200 RPM instead of sticking with the 320 GB @ 5400 RPM. I was just thinking that the faster the better.....

Am I really going to notice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.