*HP dv7t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Dabman, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touchdowntexas18

touchdowntexas18 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well obviously everything is a little smaller on the higher res. but i think it also looks a bit sharper. however i would not really recommend the resolution to someone who didnt think they needed it or to someone that wasnt planning on doing blu-ray dvds. if you are doing blu-ray dvds, i would go with the higher resolution. if you are doing graphics intensive games, well then the higher resolution is nice, except for the fact that the dv7t does not come with the necessary GPU to power extreme games at max settings at the higher resolution so it might be just as good of an idea to go to the lower resolution.

all in all i dont think the differences are THAT noticeable. but like i said, you would probably see a lot bigger difference in dvds (especially blu-ray) and games :)

2. Jonathan360

Jonathan360 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like what kinds of differences in blu-ray? I have a 9500t right now with the standard 1440 X 900 and am happy with it for blu-rays. However what kinds of differences will I notice for blu-ray? I previously had a laptop where I paid for the higher-res, but actually didn't like it as much, but I didin't have blu-ray in that notebook however, I guess I wish I could see the differences in person.

3. touchdowntexas18

touchdowntexas18 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well a higher resolution on a same size screen basically means that your are putting more pixels in the same amount of space. in turn this will produce sharper, crisper images. the whole objective of blu-ray is to show videos in very clear high-definition. so, for watching blu-ray, i think the higher definition is better, but you might be just as happy with the lower resolution. it really is all personal preference on whether you like your icons and windows and things like that smaller and whether you can even tell the difference between the lower and higher resolution on blu-ray. I have not compared blu-ray on the higher and lower resolutions so i can only tell you what should happen in theory-the higher resolution should look a little better. but you have to decide if that little bit of quality justifies the price. man, im starting to sound like my economics professor. one thing to note though-if you decide to go with the lower resolution, there is no way to upgrade it any higher in the future. however if you get the higher resolution, you can always go to your desktop settings, game settings, or video settings and change the resolution to make it smaller. so before you make any decisions i would keep looking around on this forum and maybe even find a tech guy at best buy or something. just make sure he knows what he is talking about because i have found computer guys at best buy that didnt have a clue...good luck

4. trifle77429

trifle77429 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No Raid 0 grrrr.
    HP said I couldnt change my order but they will let me exchange it once its received.
    Is it possible to fix this on my own ? can I take it to a tech to fix ? or is my only option to return it for a different hard drive option?

5. kuiper3

kuiper3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no clue why the build date has gotten longer. I ordered on the 4th... the build day is the 19th... and then it will be shipped. when I first ordered on july 15th... the build date was done in july 25th for shipping the next monday the 28th... weird.

6. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whats up everyone?

So here's my story. A month ago I purchased a Sony Vaio VGNAR770 Notebook from sonystyle.com

To make a long story short I paid a lot of money for very littler in terms of hardware. Not to mention sony forgot to apply the promotion I had applied for when I was in the process of customizing the laptop. In addition sony's customer service is absolutely horrible. Besides the VERY high res screen (1920 X 1200) I see no reason why I paid as much as I did.

After my last nightmarish exchange with them regarding my overheating notebook (due to the nVidia graphics card in my laptop) I decided enough was enough.

I immediately started looking into other laptop makers to see if I could find a comparable laptop that provided excellent performance a reasonable price.

Well I was considering Dell but to be honest I don't really find their laptops as appealing as I do other makers. And I've never been a fan of Macs.

So I looked into HP. My parents just got a nice desktop from them and from playing with it I could tell it was very good build quality and it ran Windows Vista very well.

So I examined all their "Entertainment Powerhouse" notebooks since I listen to music a lot and also love Bluray. Specifically I was torn between the dv9700t and the dv7t. I went with the dv7t because of the better processor and graphics card options.

I'm simply amazed all the power and great stuff I was able to pack into it for around $2300. My price went up due to the warranty package I got with it as well as the 70 dollar printer with mail in rebate. However I'm very pleased. The sony vaio had a GeForce 8600M GT while the HP cost me about the same amount of money but I got a GeForce 9600M GT instead.

Anyways here's my configuration...HP says it will be built by August 25th. I don't know if I can wait that long. But at this point I'm just glad to rid of that ****ty and overpriced vaio notebook.

HP Pavilion Entertainment dv7t customizable Notebook PC
    1. Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    2. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    3. 17.0" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
    4. 50% OFF 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    5. 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    6. 320GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    7. HP Imprint Finish (Mesh) + Microphone + Webcam for HP BrightView Infinity Display
    8. HP Color Matching Keyboard
    9. Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    10. High speed 56K modem port
    11. $100 OFF Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    12. No TV Tuner w/remote control
    13. 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    14. Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    15. HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Anyways let me know what you think and if you're happy with the dv7t. I hope that it works out perfectly for me cuz I really want and need a laptop.

7. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    can some people with the dv7t post their windows experience index scores please, and with the specs.

8. Steve08

Steve08 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone
    I finally ordered my dv7t, with the following specs:
    • Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    • 17.0" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
    • 50% OFF 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    • 320GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    • HP Imprint Finish (Mesh) + Microphone + Webcam
    • HP Color Matching Keyboard
    • Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    • High speed 56K modem port
    • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    • HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
    • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    I just wanted to share with everyone two things,
    First if you’re a student like me, you can get a discount, which doesn’t show on my university website. Second I used this coupon:
    http://www.dealigg.com/story-HP-Pavilion-dv7t-series
    Which gave me an additional 5% discount,
    I just hope this laptop is good as its specs.

9. vstrtz

vstrtz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all!! new to the forums!!

i am too getting the dv7t!!
    but i am bit confused..:confused:
    there are two choices-
    1) with a 2.26GHz processor, 1680 x 1050 resolution but no blu-ray player. price- 1,499$
    2) with 2GHz processor, 1440x900 resolution , blu-ray.. price-1,479$

all other specs are same...
    4GB Ram
    Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    320GB 5400RPM SATA

which one should i get??

also is 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT enough for gaming...
    at what setting will it play Crisis???

Eagerly awaiting a reply!!:)

THX

10. Infamous22

Infamous22 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the first choice. Who cares about a blu-ray drive? You get a faster processor and a higher resolution which is much more clearer and very crisp.

You should be able to play Crysis on medium settings after disabling a few texture settings.

You'll regret not getting the higher resolution screen if you don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.