*HP dv7t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Dabman, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touchdowntexas18

touchdowntexas18 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    in my opinion, and i think it is pretty accurate, the dv7t outruns the dell studio by a mile in basic computing, gaming, looks, etc. here are my specs:

Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53 GHz) FBS-1066 MHz 6Mb internal memory L2 cache
    17.0" diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1440 x 900)
    4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GDDR2
    HP Imprint Finish (Mesh)+Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader for HP BrightView Infinity Display
    Upgrade to Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    320GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
    3-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with HP Pick Up and Return
    no high speed modem port
    no tv tuner
    no verizon wireless broadband

as a casual gamer i think that the dv7t would be a great choice for you as long as you went with the 9600M GT optional graphics card. it should be able to play Oblivion and WoW smoothly on the highest detail settings. for WoW i would recommend the T9400 processor that runs at 2.53 GHz because those kind of games are generally processor intensive. i would recommend at least 2 GB of RAM and you have got yourself an extremely nice casual gaming computer. Also, with the uprgraded processor and extra RAM basic computing will be much much faster and easier.

yes it is very easy to watch dvds without any kind of upgrade as long as you are not watching blue-ray dvds

As far as the tv tuner, yes you can get cable tv, but i would only recommend it if you would rather watch tv on your computer screen than on an ordinary cable tv, but then again i opted not to get the tv tuner so i might be a little biased :) in any case i would read reviews on the quality of the tuner from other people before making that decision.

2. CrashConrad

CrashConrad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ooooo. non-work friendly picture hosting :(

3. trifle77429

trifle77429 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say Thanks CrashConrad, that sounds like the best advice I've gotten in three weeks of searching.

4. Griffin0991

Griffin0991 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I attached the images to this post for those who couldn't view the last ones.

Attached Files:

5. LiH2.com

LiH2.com Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks ! The version I will buy is a pre build model, it is called dv7 1070eo
    But that is EU version and the language was in danish, so I did use the one of Canada site , so people could read it without any problems :D

Where I live, we can only buy per build versions :mad:
    and the verions I want to buy only have 3 gb ram insted of 4 gb :(

Here is all the dv7-1000 series modules HP offers in DK - click here !!!
    maybe they will change that, but offen they dont .

So my big wounding is have much I do miss, now I will buy my low end dv7-1000 version

Why ? that is like, having a blu-ray with no use ?

6. touchdowntexas18

touchdowntexas18 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    crashconrad or touchdowntexas?? lol i thought i gave you the advice unless i missed something

7. Griffin0991

Griffin0991 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Added a picture of the quick strip thing to my above post.

8. trifle77429

trifle77429 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OOPS! Sorry Touchdown, and Thanks !

9. CrashConrad

Reputations:
    Bonus! I was mostly going to say exactly what tex said, but he posted first.

On choppy graphics, 1st, make sure your power setting isn't set to 'Battery Saver' as that runs the CPU/GPU at slower speeds than say the 'High Performance' option which turns everything up (WindowsKey+X for Vista to access the Mobility Center). Then, always ensure you have the latest video drivers as they can make or break a game. If that doesn't help 3D performance.......not much else will help other than a new video card.

10. CrashConrad

Reputations:
    Doesn't look like your missing out on much on the model you listed. Other than a faster CPU/Higher Resolution screen (1650x1050), but that's a personal preference and you know your budget for buying a notebook.

Having only 3GB vs 4GB is not huge deal, especially having Vista x32. Also, you generally only notice RAM increases when you double what you have. (Which the Dv7t max is 8GB iirc)

You do have the dual 250GB option which is cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.