*HP dv7t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Dabman, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. messeduprex

messeduprex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can someone tell me if i got a good deal? i just sold my gateway m-6850fx for the quick-ship dv7t-1270us model. i paid $1057.99 shipped. i'm just wondering thanks!

2. Shbek

Shbek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd be all over the HDX 16-1140us if I didn't want a Blu-ray drive so badly. Beyond that, you bought pretty much what I bought, I just got the better resolution.

3. timesquaredesi

timesquaredesi MagicPeople VooDooPeople

Reputations:
    well well well..... so, it's been 6 months now with my dv7t and things have been great so far. i am posting just to give an update of how my experience has been with this unit...

1) the screen... SUCKS! lol... i have the infinity display and, as many other people have commented, the screen is definitely not as good as other brands.... even some screens on lower-end units of HP's competitors are better than this.... i mean, for me, luckily, i use the unit 99% at night so it's not that much of an issue but when i use the unit in the day, even by a window and when it's bright, the screen appears greyish/grainy... i also have a dv4t and i bought it with the LED screen option... man, that screen is FLAWLESS!!! if they had that screen available for the dv7t, this unit would be a 10 out of 10... but, alas, life is not perfect. i have seen the non-infinity displays and i dont think they're any better than with the inifinity overlay on them... maybe they're a little better in terms of quality and less glare, as some people have said, but i have not come to that conclusion.

2) i am trying hard to find other things to say about it but don't really have any other complaints/annoyances.... the unit is sooo fast, 4 gigs of ram helps, and i have not run out of diskspace yet - i am at 640gb :-D

would i buy this unit again? definitely. when i purchased it, i used a 30% discount hp had. with that discount, i max'd out the specs of this unit... and at the time, no other competitor came close to having the same specs for the same price.. most units were $500+ more for LESS powerful specs. so this was definitely a deal. i paid less than $1600 for the specs in my sig - and a 320gb drive. i added another 320gb afterwards.

since me (and a lot of other ppl) got a great deal on it, i will say that the deal definitely makes up for the less-than-spectacular screen, for me anyway. again, i dont use the unit in the day so im not as annoyed as others are.

3) in terms of tempratures, i never got any any temp readings above 70C when I had a single hard drive in the unit. that's while playing unreal 3 for about a half hour at max settings. with a second hard drive in there, i got as high as 72C but never any higher. i did notice though that, when i play without the battery in the unit, the temp is definitely lower - maybe by 1 or 2 c. i also have the back of the unit raised about 1 inch at all times so that helps as well.

if anyone has any q's about the unit, feel free to ask.

4. Infamous22

Infamous22 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Long time no see TSD. My DV7(s) have performed EXCELLENT!

5. timesquaredesi

Reputations:
    same here man. i didnt even do a clean install on it so i have been running vista ultimate with a lot of the hp garbage on it. i cleaned up a lot of it but i am sure it left some remnants behind... but yeah, the machine rocks.

another cool factor is that they dont offer the t9600 processors anymore on the hp site. they go up to the p8700 which is 2.53ghz and 2mb cache. so we have rare units :-D lol

6. grinder965

grinder965 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my dv7t on Friday. Man they are fast....it was shipped from China on Wednesday. Anyway, I don't have it connected to the net yet (verizon will install vios service this Friday) but so far very happy with it. Learning how to use Vista and the touchpad both of which are starting to grow on me. I created my recovery disks and tried to use Lightscribe but from what I can tell the software needs to be accessed online...is this true? Also, which of the 4 or 5 websites they cite do others prefer?

Played a few DVD's and BluRay disks using both the computer monitor and my 52" HDTV screen via HDMI....very very nice picture and sound on both. Laptop did get warm when using only the laptop screen but was much better when elevating the back like TSD said. Computer did not at all get warm when using the HDTV monitor.

I will posts more about my experiences and thoughts later but so far I'm very happy with the unit I recieved.....even my non infinity screen is pretty good.....suffers from indirect viewing angles but brightness, color, clarity and lack of glare is very good.

PS - Still playing around with lots of different display options......I accessed it once but now can't find the nvidia graphics card data, info, resolution and other properties. Can anyone tell me where is it located so I can foll around with it? I found the nvdiia control panel but that is not what I stumbled upon when trying to get a DVD to play on my external TV monitor.

7. timesquaredesi

Reputations:
    when you right click on the vista desktop, and go to properties - it should be under one of the applets in the window that pops up. sorry im not more specific, all my work computers are xp and my beloved dv7t is at home.... lol

8. Fsuga

Fsuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there is a $500 off code out there as of today good for 2100 uses. i just used it on a dv7t and am sending back this piece of absolute garbage dv6t. 500 off worked out better for me than 30% off based on my config. $914.00 plus tax.
    NB4345 is the code. And if you push them long enough (asked 3 times) you'll get the free 2 day shipping.

9. bpme

bpme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I find that the left shift key is way to small, and it may end up causing me to return this unit. When I look at the pictures online the keys look standard (left and right shift keys should be double sized). On my dv7 the right one is double sized but the left one is single sized, which kills my typing. Unfortunately I use the unit for more homework than entertainment and this slowdown of typing is looking like a deal breaker. Otherwise I am really impressed with it.

10. timesquaredesi

Reputations:
    I had to get used to the keyboard as well. I have been typing on standard keyboards and IBM/Lenovo keyboards but when I started using my dv7t, i felt the same way - some keys are out of place/not in their usual location.

I think over time it will get better but, for me, I sometimes have trouble with the page down/page up keys as well as the home and end keys. i have been using the unit for like 6 months now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.