*HP dv6z AMD Llano (6XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by scy1192, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Woot! This gets better!

Cut out a hole beneath the fan and now I can play without a laptop cooler, remains <74C :D :D :D :D :D

Here's the mod and finished product. My dremel job had a LOT to be desired, I couldn't keep the cutting bit steady for some reason and slipped once so you see the slight notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think Musho just edited the BIOS and changed the maximum frequency of the GPU. I don't think the frequencies are user adjustable short of flashing a new BIOS with edited frequencies.

Btw you can get your core freq up to 800? Mine starts artifacting past 760... But I can get my mem frequency up to 950 (about to test it even higher). :cool:

3. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    R3, i was quoting and responding to someone else. Mine seems to be ok at around 792 on the core, and i can get 840 or so on the mem before things get twitchy. There is also another plateau that seems to be available but I don't fool around much there anymore.

seer

4. Zuois

Zuois Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Odd... I tried your link, and this time, windows showed its colors... was blocking my driver update from an "invalid publisher." Been a while since I've had this problem.

Thumbs up for you.
    Thumbs down to windows.

Drivers are now at 8.880.3, but the name changed to "6600M and 6700M Series" for the 6750M card, I'm guessing this is normal.

Regardless, thanks a ton!

5. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    np :)

seer

Man, that sure opened her up :) But I'm curious, with the hole directly over the fan, I gather its no longer drawing air thru the chassis, or did you conclude it wasn't drawing enough air to spit in he first place :)

Oh, one other thing Wing, you posted a link to a ulps control utility awhile back. I went to take a look at it, and my anti spy utilities really sounded off. It has a back door trojan in it, so you might want to run a scan with your own utilities to see if he 'gotcha'.

Seer

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Meh, I've long since reformatted since then. ;) Thanks for the heads up though.

ULPS is ON for me now, no need to turn it off. I'm using all 1.8 drivers. No need to overclock at the moment.

Yes, I found that very little air was moving over the CPU and GPU. So little in fact, I took a piece of tissue paper before I cut it open to see if there was enough suction, and it wouldn't even hold the tissue in place, showed me there's no airflow.

I cut that slot in the fan shroud to push air over the CPU and GPU but that only heated up the rest of the machine. I have since put high temp electrical tape over it. But now that I cut the hole under the fan, I may take it off and see if it helps. Now it should be pushing cooler air than just recirculating hot air. I just don't feel like reopening my laptop up, sigh. I'm good at it now lol, but I'm afraid after at least a half dozen disassemblies and reassemblies that it will fall apart. But still holding strong, surprisingly. I'm waiting on some more heatsinks, should be here next week, then I'll heatsink the GPU RAM and along the heatpipes and open it up then. Problem is if the palmrest gets too warm again, then I'll have to open it up ONE MORE TIME to put tape back over the fan slot. :rolleyes:

7. 67tempest

67tempest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ht, which heat sinks did you order and how much did you have to shave to make them fit? I was thinking of doing something similar but not as drastic.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I decided to make a DV6z cooling mod thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...z-cooling-mod-thread-warning-lots-photos.html

These are the heatsinks I bought (actually already had them):

Newegg.com - Swiftech MC14 Copper Heatsinks only

They took a lot more trimming that I expected. Just be sure to clean them off VERY well after you cut them. I had copper dust EVERYWHERE. So I used compressed air and then doused them with alcohol using a toothbrush. Just be sure not to get it on the adhesive pad. Or it will lose its stickiness.

I ordered some of these from Fleabay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280730211387

I figure these will be good on the vRAM chips and along the heatpipes.

Along with some thermal tape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180592168677

and copper shims: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230511291628

I normally have a bunch of this stuff handy but was out of stock. I used the thermal double sided tape to secure my fan grille, and probably won't need the copper shims, but maybe in a couple tight places, like the one vRAM chip that's under the GPU heatpipe.

9. dudedude

dudedude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Best Buy model(A8 3500), 78 degrees room temperature, Belkin laptop cooler(1 fan)...2204 combined score :)

I only changed P0 and P1 and no voltages because I'm planning on leaving the laptop as is once i'm done testing.

You can see everything else on the pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and new record graphic score of 2339 haha!

time for sleep

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Holy crap, 980MHz graphics mem? You got lucky there. I can't do more than 900. Shows that CPU doesn't mean much to that score because me running P0 2.4 / B0 2.8, GPU 800/GPU MEM 900 I get a little over 2100.

Plus 11.6 drivers have issues for me with several games that 11.8 do not so I'm sticking with 11.8 which means NO OVERCLOCKING. Hopefully there will be newer drivers that allow for overclocking soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.