*HP dv6z AMD Llano (6XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by scy1192, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmacgowa

rmacgowa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I am not breaking 2200 without frying the cpu lol. This is the best I can do : AMD Radeon HD 6620G video card benchmark result - AMD A8-3530MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics,Hewlett-Packard 3590 score: P2184 3DMarks

According to notebookcheck that 3dmark11 for gpu outscores the gtx 460,560,470 and even barely 480. No way that is for real lol.

Seer, I see you have a score thats about 10 higher than mine :D . Any tips? What CPU frequency / gfx drivers did u use?

That Score is with cpu @ 2.93ghz, 1.26V, GPU @ 815/1010
    11.8 catalyst drivers.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    OMG! I am SOOOO HAPPPY! SUCCESS!

I am ready to put on a kilt and do the jig or whatever dance is silly and crazy.

Thanks to lmanlo, he pointed me to the proper service manual. Disassembly wasn't too bad, just took time and patience. But I did repaste the CPU and GPU. The stuff that was on there had good coverage, and was thinking then something else must be wrong. Then I tried to remove the paste and it was as hard as a freaking rock! Rock doesn't conduct heat very well. Well it kinda does, for a sauna at least. Had to let alcohol soak on it for a little bit, while I drank another kind, then had to scrub it off. Put on some IC Diamond, screwed everything back together and BAM!

Idling at 34-35C. Bad Company 2 running at 77-80C, and don't even turn on Crossfire, running 1080p @ 35-45fps with CPU @ 2.2GHz 1.05V.

Another thing I noticed is that I did a clean install and didn't install any HP software, the fan doesn't kick in until temps are way high. Then I installed CoolSense. With CoolSense on Performance it kicks in much earlier which helps matters. In any case still don't have manual fan control otherwise I'd kick it up to 100% before I start a game. But as long as temps remain this way and it performs well, I'll be happy. Just need a couple more days to play and if all goes well, Asus goes back to the store.

The CPU and GPU had a protective mylar sticker mask over them to protect the PCB from the thermal paste, well it didn't help much, quite a bit was smudged underneath the sticker. I was going to just remove it, but instead cleaned it off best I could and put it back in case I decided to return the laptop. I can guarantee in six to nine months time, maybe even sooner, everyone's temperatures will go UP considerably because of the crap thermal paste they use. So be prepared to pop open your case and repaste.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, GPU RAM is definitely GDDR5: Samsung K4G10325FE-HC04
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/Greenmemory/Products/GDDR5/GDDR5_Lineup.html
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=759&partnum=K4G10325FE

[​IMG]

Pics of motherboard and heatsink/fan (click spoiler button):
    No, that is NOT red velvet. It's a cheap red towel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kevmanw4301

kevmanw4301 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice one! The temps might go down even farther once the paste sets. Maybe Seer should repaste, maybe he could break 2200 then. :p

4. rmacgowa

Reputations:
    Woow HT that is awesome! Great job! I may have to re-paste now.

That last picture looks like a fair amount of paste? Was that before of after you re-pasted?

5. varucell

varucell Notebook Guru

Reputations:

So wait you are using 11.8 how did you get them to overclock without freezing the computer.

6. rmacgowa

Reputations:
  7. Musho

Musho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Doesn't disabling ULPS kill battery life? AFAIK it's needed to completely shutdown the dGPU when only the iGPU is needed, thus improving battery life.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Just in case people don't want to manually change ULPS in the registry or use Sapphire Trixx, then here's the registry files I made: ulps_enable_disable.zip

This zip contains two files:

ULPS_Disable.reg
    ULPS_Enable.reg

Basically it will just change the value of "EnableUlps" in the registry from "0" (disable) or "1" (enable) at locations:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]

Double click the one you want and reboot your computer.

ULPS stands for "Ultra Low Power State". When enabled it should save on power a bit, but I haven't noticed much difference when disabled. When disabled it should let you overclock your GPU, but so far 11.6 drivers are still required.

9. seeratlas

seeratlas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When i click on your external screenie, nothing is coming up :( Would be interested in seeing your individual scores.
    seer :)

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Bah seems someone else made a basic utility for ULPS. Meh, I like my way better, quick and efficient. :cool:

@ Musho, I haven't noticed any depreciable battery life. I think if the dedicated card isn't being used, it's deactivated anyhow. Disabling the ULPS allows you to overclock.

That's what was on it from the factory. Coverage was good, maybe a tad bit thick, but like I said, hard as a friggin rock. Not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.