*HP dv6t & dv7t Select Edition / Quad Edition (6XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by radukr, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eloydark

eloydark Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you please reply in this thread? I think it will be helpful to other guys who might be thinking about it!

2. zaint666

zaint666 Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all thanks notebookreview for all the info laying around. Found you a few years back when getting my dv6-6141 with the i7 and 6770m.

Finally I got around to fully tweak my system due to several hdd and other system failures. Been planning on it for a longer time thus having all the gear needed for my modding. After several factory resets and a load of problems I finally have gone the route through a clean win7 install on a small ssd. For the modding part I have tweaked the cooling system rather seriously (as found on a few threads here) and put a secondary 2tb storage in the dvd-bay.

Now for my last issue regarding the intel and amd graphics drivers. Have made the last drivers posted in the thread on here working but got curious about the last leshcatlabs ones recommended there. Tested the 14.11 beta and it did not work well with my system so rolled back to original ones.

My question is if anyone have gotten any working drivers (still maintaining battery time) or if I should just stay with the ones posted here?

Anyhow thanks for all and if anyone is interested about the stuff I've done and plan something similar I can help out best to my abilities having pics etc to aid in the understanding.

Until next time

3. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could someone please comment on this problem I am having with my DV7t-6100. It is the one with the switchable graphics that had so many problem when it came out and the Radion 6770M would not run Open GL so they finally put out a new bios that allowed you to select "Fixed Mode" on boot by going to the bios and then selecting the graphics you wanted to use. Well I have just reloaded a clean copy of Windows 7 and am having an issue with the Radion driver I think and the strange thing is I am using fixed mode and have the Intel graphics selected in the BIOS. Anyway what is happening is any time I have the operating system as for permission for some program to make changes to the computer then I have multiple flickering screens (as I have 3 external monitors running) which goes on for about 5 seconds and then I get message or two that the Radion graphics adapter stopped working but has recovered. I'm running the Amd driver version 8.882.2.3000. Anyone know if I should be running a different one? This is new behavior since I performed a clean install but I don't remember if I was running the same driver before. Any suggestions would be a big help.

5. thompson90

thompson90 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm using that same driver on my dv7t. I'm not using fixed mode. I like switching on the fly. This laptop is now 2 1/2 years old. No problems ever with graphics.

6. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:

+1 my dv7t-6100 cto is working fine as well!

7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK here a wifi question I have a dv6t-6100 but here is the list for wifi:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 631956-001
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 593530-001
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 633817-001

Can I find a intel wifi 6200 or 6300 or another intel dual band wifi that will work? I tried a 6230 from my Toshiba intel and it says doesn't work? So if I try a 6300 or 6200 intel wifi will this work for my laptop? I have the switchable GPU board....

8. stephenward

stephenward Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I got the HP laptop as well DV8 series I am owing it for more then 4 years now. I got a problem with battery which can come with age. But my main concern is about fan. It makes a loud noice now. I have tried to clean the dust and other options but still it is making soo much noise. If I am watching anything online I am struggling to hear anything with full volume on.

Thanks!

9. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    fans can wear and require replacement. most likely the bearing is failing which can cause either the bearing itself to make the noise, or the shaft to become mi-aligned, causing the blades to strike the shroud. About the only thing you can do is try to determine if there are any obstructions that the blades are hitting.

you need to get the fan issue resolved soon, because the cooling system is not working properly and probably the laptop is running hot, and this will cause the fan to come on more often, which accelerates the problem.

HP's out-of-warranty repair process is pretty good, and so if you so not want to attempt this repair on your own, then call HP and pay the flat repair fee. They will repair and clean and test everything out. I did this on my DV7 and was irritated at first because of the price, until I realized that an extended warranty would have been the same or higher cost, and so I was "self insuring". I've had good success with the repair process.

As for the battery -- yea this may need replacement too... In your situation I would call HP and state that the laptop runs hot, the fan makes noise, and the battery life is not very good. they may separate out the battery issue and suggest you buy a new battery.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. lmanlo

lmanlo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wondering if the switching graphics will work on Windows 10 or do you think that We should not update to windows 10 on this version of the laptops. dv6t-6100 CTO? until someone releases a version that will work.
    Thanks