*HP dv5t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Badious, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No I sold the one I refurbished a long time ago but as far as I know the person who bought it still uses it and that was two years ago and they thought they bought a brand new laptop because it still boots up in 8-10 seconds like the days they bought it from me. If you like your programs to open fast and enjoy a very speedy laptop than you have no idea what your missing if you don't have a solid state hard drive. It's not expensive either. I actually recommend to clients that still have a DDR2 memory running notebook to go ahead with a solid state hard drive upgrade instead of the 8GB DDR2 upgrade because the DDR2 upgrade is crazy expensive. You can get a 60-64GB Kingston V300 3GS/6GS SATA III SSHD for $60 and then get an optical drive caddy for $10, hard drive caddy $10. Now your up to $80 instead of $110 - $120 for two 4GB DDR2 800mhz sticks of ram. Plus once you have the SSHD installed you can go into the Windows settings and make your operating system steal 4GB of flash memory from the SSHD bumping you up to 8GB with the speed of the SSHD. I have a desktop posted that I'm selling right now, I'll post it here so you can watch it boot up and be ready to work in 8 seconds if you'd like to see. It also shows a battlefield 4 demo but you can get the jist. This video has the same exact 2.5" SSHD in a 2.5 - 3.5" HDD caddy. It's the same hard drive I was just telling you about. A Kingston V300 60GB and its actually running with 8GB of RAM so you can imagine what your laptop would run the same.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    Tenspeed likes this.
  2. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Google the concept and read into it on Wikipedia or something. Not something I would recommend to anyone who doesn't plan on making changes to their cooling system especially on a laptop. If you overclock your laptop just a little bit your chancing burning up the processor or GPU within days. I usually have to undervolt AMD laptops because a whole bunch of AMD's GPU's run way to hot at 180'F non stop. After I undervolt them they run at the normal 140"F without any performance loss.

Tenspeed likes this.
  3. Tenspeed

Tenspeed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cool video, that's what I'm looking for. I probably won't mess with the CPU at all. Well, I should re-paste it at least. I've had this thing apart twice, so it's not too bad really. The one thing I'm not too keen on is losing my dvd burner. I use it at least 2-3 times a month. I know it's not much, but it works for my needs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  4. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Than just throw your original hard drive in a caddy. I just ordered a kit off newegg, 120 GB Kingston Sata III 3gs/6gs SV300 for $69.99 and a DYNEX USB 3.0 external 2.5" hard drive caddy $8.99. So I got the caddy and 120GB SSHD which I consider the best maker of SSHD's with a 5 year warranty for $80. By the time I'm done putting all the OS stuff on the hard drive there will still be 80 free GB's of space.

5. jakerock

jakerock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the idle temp of your cpu's? Mine's around 50-60C , is that normal?

6. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah that's pretty much perfect. Is that idle?

7. jakerock

jakerock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, it idle's between 50-60c, thought it was a bit higher. Was thinking about opening it up and dusting the heatpipes/fans. :confused:

8. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you have never opened up all the way I suggest you do so and change out the thermal paste and clean out the inside. You won't believe what I've found inside the cleanest newest laptops.. Also changing that terrible factory thermal paste and removing the thermal pad on the GPU replacing both with a nice coat of MX4 thermal paste. Doing the cleanup and thermal paste change will probably drop the temperature another 15 degrees. You can also put a copper shim on the GPU to make it run even cooler but if its not overheating doesn't sound like you need to bother with that.

9. lowgra

lowgra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Replaced Failed Harddrive DV5 still have all old faults listed in the Startup Test log in Bios cannot find a way to clear them any Ideas?

10. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Clear the CMOS. Pull the CMOS battery and let it sit for 10 min or research the motherboard your DV5 has and find out where the pin-outs are on it, connect a wire (just hold the wire ends to the pins) and start the laptop. Should clear the entire CMOS including any BIOS passwords. This is just something to try if you can't find anything else. I know pulling the CMOS battery might work, sometimes it does on certain motherboards. The whole finding the pins to jump it also only works on certain models and brands so its hard to say. I am not 100% sure but it seems like if you re-flashed the bios ( that is saying you have the most current ) it should remove it also. If you don't have the newest BIOS try installing that through windows. Just be super careful that the laptop is plugged in and nothing else is running. Couple years ago was halfway through a BIOS update on a brand new Gateway laptop that I didn't have the battery in, power went out halfway through the update. Motherboard was bricked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.