*HP dv5t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Badious, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zijin_cheng

zijin_cheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've been searching high and low for this laptops hard drive bay size, to determine what size ssd to buy. I bought a 9.4mm ssd and is it too thick? Does the sad size need to be 7mm?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    9.5mm height. Standard mobile HDD/SSD. Though it can take a 7mm also. Not 12.5 though.

zijin_cheng likes this.
  3. tommy_2q

tommy_2q Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just updated this laptop to windows 8.1 and all the windows 7 x64 drivers seem to be working.

4. 2.0

Reputations:
    That's pretty amazing that this laptop is still good enough to run Win 8.

Tenspeed likes this.
  5. tommy_2q

tommy_2q Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded from vista to 7 then to 8.1. I don't think 8.1 is anymore demanding than 7. Most drivers were loaded automatically. No issues so far. Metro is very cumbersome. Classic shell is great.

6. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ever since I upgraded mine with 8GB of DDR2 PC26400 800mhz memory (massive score off eBay for $48!! I purchased ram from an ad that said DDR3 and when it came it was DDR2!!) and the normal sized SATA III Kingston IIIV solid state hard drive running Windows 8.1 it boots up in 6 seconds from ice cold to loading internet explorer so its about 11 seconds until I can check my email. Yeah, its pretty crazy how a couple hundred dollars in updates and a little skill in tearing it apart to replace the CPU and thermal paste the DV5T is still a great working notebook!!!

Tenspeed likes this.
  7. 2.0

Reputations:
    Sweet deal!

I have the version of the DV5T with the gold tone finish.

Upgrades:
    Modded BIOS.
    T9800 running dual IDA @ 3.06ghz
    8GB RAM
    120GB SSD (Vertex 4)
    750GB HDD (WD Black) in the optical bay using a caddy.
    Added TV Tuner. Haven't used it in a while. It was just a proof of concept mod.
    Intel 6200 Wifi (Thanks to whitelist removal)
    Win 7 64bit.

Only regret is that it can't play Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreaming due to the video card. But I have other notebooks for that.

Thinking about changing the LCD from 1280 x 800 to either 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050. Just for kicks. It's just the fear of getting a panel with a dead pixel because right now, I have none.

8. jason9922

jason9922 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

It's refreshing to hear that other people also are using the optical drive HDD caddy. Plus I really like the gold tone model. The one I refurbed was all scratched to hell so when I had it all apart I painted it Cadillac pearl white and boy it looked sweet!!So many times I've done a refurbish job for people and have gone the "max out the ram, optical drive HDD caddy, slide a 60GB SSHD because lets be honest, not many people want to drop multiple hundreds of dollars into a refurbish of an older laptop, move the original HDD over to the optical drive spot, cheap optical drive caddy, fresh windows install, set up all the tweaks, and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! LOL!!

It really makes my day when I do those refurbish type jobs especially for women with no computer knowledge that planned to drop $800 on a new laptop but instead spent $225 to let me do the refurbishment. Plus I normally pull the notebook apart, clean it out (which alone drops the temp normally 40 degrees) reapply MX4 thermal paste, put a copper shim over the GPU if needed, under volt the CPU if needed to get it run for 6 hours on a new battery ( price jumps to $250 then).

But so many people just don't realize how the refurbished laptop job I just described will still SMOKE the $800 Staples notebook they've just went and bought which won't have a permanent copy of Office 2010, permanent good anti-virus software, all the tweaks to turn off the stuff in the windows services menu that just lags a system, and not to mention all the bloat ware that comes on a new laptop which 99% of people don't know how to turn off. And they wonder why their new $800 laptop which is now a cool $1000 for the stuff they were missing takes a minute and a half to boot up.....

If I was you though, I wouldn't mess with the screen because that's not even really noticeable ya know. I am thinking about doing that with my HP Probook 4530S but only because I read somewhere that someone else found an LCD screen with 1920x1080 FHP screen compared to the 1366x768 that it came with and if I was to sell the OEM that came with my probook for $30 It would only cost me $70 including the different video cable needed.

Tenspeed likes this.
  9. Tenspeed

Tenspeed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wondering if anyone still has their DV5T. Mine is still going strong. I only had to replace the fan once, and that was about 2 years ago. I upgraded my ram all the way to 8 gig. I'm thinking of going for an SSD next. I don't really use this for games as such, but I'd like to have it running as fast as possible, which I think that will help. I like my programs to open fast, ya know. Hope you folks that still have yours are still happy with it, like I am.

10. Tenspeed

Tenspeed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I was wondering if you could describe more about that undervolting of the cpu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.