*HP dv5t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Badious, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cable.tac

Cable.tac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^ My first dv5t had some defects so HP issued an RMA for it.

2. invasmani

invasmani Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My first dv5t had some "defects" too, as in they sent me the wrong one. They also issued me an RMA. What I'm asking is how do you have your credit before you have your item? Both of you are saying two different things.

3. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DVD Playback issues:

i just put in a film dvd for the first time since i got my dv5t (about a week and half) and i noticed 2 issues:

1) the volume is VERY low. it is too low to hear what they are saying and you really have to struggle or be within 6 inches of the speakers!! the room is VERY quiet to boot. am i the only one encountering this issue?

2) when i first inserted the DVD, i got a Quickplay Region Selection mode, asking me if i want to "keep the current region code" or "change the region code" and it states that there are 5 changes remaining for this DVD player. Well, the current region code is USA and i thought, that's fine, so i clicked "keep the current region code". the DVD tray popped out and there was no other option but to push the tray back in after a few seconds (just to let the software "settle down"). the same thing happened. there appeared to be no way out. I then felt like i was FORCED to choose "change the region code" since there was no way to play the disc otherwise, since the dvd tray would just pop out! that appears to have "taken" and it "accepted" my choice of "change the region code".

Very strange. So the current setting is "USA" and i was unable to "remain with this region setting", and i had to "change my region code" to EXACTLY the same region: "USA".

May I ask if anyone else had this issue?

thanks!

4. ChicagoRob

ChicagoRob Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try getting into the player via the Cyber DVD program. I had the same
    volume issues at first, but I am now able to set it to quite acceptable
    levels. Make sure you have plenty of master volume, before playing the
    DVD, also

Rob

5. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Rob,

thx for your reply...still no a/c ...

what is CyberDVD? need i download it separately? i have not seen this at all during my clean re-install.

btw, the clean install of Vista took SO much energy and time! it took me like 3 days! ugh.

in the hp QuickPlay main menu, UPPER RIGHT SIDE, there's a "gear" icon which is a Settings menu (next to the question mark icon). i clicked that and selected Audio Boost, and besides "default" option, there are three "Boost" options: Level 1 boost, Level 2 boost, and Level 3 boost.

it appears as though each successive level increases the volume. I chose Level 3 boost as my volume was incredibly low on that dvd (btw, it was the Planet Earth dvd set from BBC), but i also tried one other dvd and it was very low as well.

that Level 3 boost did the job. it is now sufficiently loud. i could not expect it to be much louder due to the tiny sizes of the speakers.

i don't believe this is what, Rob, you said was "CyberDVD"? i am quite sure that i was in the QuickPlay full screen when i did all of this.

6. ChicagoRob

ChicagoRob Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not on my dv5t right now, so I will have to fire it up and get the
    info you need. I'll PM you shortly.

Hope you get that A/C working...

Rob

7. Gammaray

Gammaray Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have been following this forum for some time and after sorting out some credit card issues I'm about to order the following configuration:

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz) edit
    Display 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
    Memory FREE Upgrade to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    Personalization [For BrightView Infinity] Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard
    Networking Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    Primary CD/DVD drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    HP USB TV Tuner
    Primary battery High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Productivity software $100 OFF Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2007!!

I will be use it besides regular computing for some gaming Battlefield and Crysis. Any comments/tips on this configuration is it advisable to upgrade to 4mb (through new egg)?

any comments on the TV tuner??

thx in advance

Noob buying its first lappy!!!:) http://forum.notebookreview.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

8. ghcmonkey

ghcmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    your config looks solid. umm, you might want to upgrade to 4gb since you have 64bit vista and you're a gamer; it won't hurt if you can afford it.

9. crys

crys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Is there already a service manual or a link to someone how open it and take some pictures ?
    Thanks ;)

10. iNsAnEcLoWn

iNsAnEcLoWn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just placed my order! What do yall think:

Your customized PC includes:
    - HP Pavilion dv5t Entertainment Notebook
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
    - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53 GHz)
    - 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
    - FREE Upgrade to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    - 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    - FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    - [For BrightView Infinity] Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    - HP Color Matching Keyboard
    - Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
    - Integrated 56K Modem
    - Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    - HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
    - High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    - Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    - HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Instant discounts you received:
    $543.90 Coupon NB8821 (30% off)

$1269.09
    + tax $104.70

Grand total: $1373.79

I'm going to upgrade the hard drive myself to a Seagate momentus 320GB 7200RPM and the Ram I will add a 2gb stick of ddr2800 for a total of 3gb.
    The ram that it comes with is DDR2 800 right?

I'm looking foward to many hours of uninterrupted Team Fortress 2! The whole reason I bought it, and to watch a few blu-rays preferably Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles season 1 blu-ray ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.