*HP dv5t (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by Badious, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badious

Badious Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [Moderator edit] - note from Chaz - this is the *OFFICIAL* HP dv5t owner's lounge. Anyone is free to post!

Useful links for dv5t owners/prospective owners:
    HP dv5t Official NotebookReview.com review

HP dv5t full benchmarks

The heating issues explained

Clean Vista install with NO Activation (guide by orev, stickied in this forum)

HP DV5 service manual (PDF)

Dual IDA and NO whitelist Modded F21A BIOS :http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-series-owners-lounge-581.html#post7226056..

Please private message Chaz with any additional links you think should be added to this list.

----------------

Quite glad to see the 9600GT back on the orders site today. Got my order in and laptop should be here on or around the 4th of August. I'm quite excited. Now if only I could control time and space and push forward to the 4th...meh. I guess I'll impatiently wait instead..

2. thepreacha619

thepreacha619 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    YES!!! YES!!!!

okay i'm done. going to pull the trigger tonight, two questions:
    if i buy the dv5t: 2.53ghz processor, 4 gig ram, 9600m gt...
    its going to own my dv9500 with 2.0 ghz t7250 core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, and 8600m GS right?? playing games on this is such a joke.

also, if i like to play games (bf2, cs:s, etc.) should i order the hp brightview with the big resolution or just the standard 1280x800. i dont plan on getting the blue ray drive, or the tv tuner... so is it needed?

3. Japes

Japes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    damn, just got an email back from hp in england and they said the DV5's are "not due for release until the mid to back end of August" is it likely that it will be at the end of august as they said, or do companies tell you a few weeks later than the expected date to allow for any delays? I need a laptop for college which starts in september, so i'll definately not be able to wait until the end of august to order one... should i get a different laptop or wait?

4. steveninspokane

steveninspokane John 14:6 - Only ONE Way!

Reputations:
    too bad, i already for a better laptop for cheaper

ASUS M50Vm-B1

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What are you doing with the laptop besides gaming? The 2.53GHz processor won't offer much of an advantage . . . the CPU is rarely the bottleneck. I would stick with the 2.26 or 2.4GHz CPU because they are the better values from a price/performance standpoint. You're not going to notice a difference between any of the offered CPUs in regular applications.

Yes, the 9600M-GT is significantly more powerful than the 8600M-GS. I am not sure by how much, but I would guess it is about twice as powerful in games.

Regarding the screen, I'm an advocate of high resolutions because you can see more detail. I find higher-resolution screens make me much more productive since I don't have to scroll as much, and working with two windows side-by-side is actually manageable.
    Considering we don't have anything else to go on regarding availability over there, I would take that information as accurate. In my experience, customized laptops take approx. two weeks to arrive after ordering. So yes, if you need it by September, then you should look for another laptop. The ASUS M50 would have been my second choice for a notebook next to the dv5t.

6. ZT3000!

ZT3000! Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any Sam's Club members here?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item_nbr=307513&landing=307513

7. aespinalc

aespinalc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for real? so should i drop the 2.53 and go for the 2.4 one? the 3 extra mb in cache isnt a buy factor?
    any benchmarks about this 2 processors compared?

8. ryAnOnFire

ryAnOnFire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ys, I have the same question, is the 2.53ghz really not worth gettting? how is the extra 3mb of caching not going to help???

9. Hooran

Hooran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm sure that the 2.53Ghz + 6Mb cache will have visible advantages on benchmark tests. But in real world use, you wouldn't really see all that much improvement.

1) Your processor is limited by your hard drive speed, and since HP removed the 7200rpm option, that doesn't help the case.
    2) For gaming, you would first be limited by your graphics card, not your processor (P8400 is more than enough for modern games)

Anyways, I ordered the dv5t over a week ago, waiting on it to come in. I was tempted in getting the T9400/T9600, but I ended up going for the P8600 cause of my aforementioned reasons, along with the fact that the P8600 consumes less power (10 Watts less), and would therefore produce less heat (correct me if I'm wrong), and longer battery life. At the end of the day, I decided if I really really wanted uber performance that I could barely notice, I would be better off saving that extra hundred or so dollars to upgrade my 2gb memory to 4gb ---OCZ 800MHz 2x2gb sticks of memory from Newegg.

10. ryAnOnFire

ryAnOnFire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how easy is it to swap out ram in the dv5t's?

also, can hp motherboards handle the 800mhz ram? I heard rumors that the dell ones cn only do 667mhz so i was wondering if the same holds true for hp's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.