*HP dm3 (1XXX series) Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Pavilion Notebooks' started by ubercool, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanderermy

Wanderermy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try fresh install, mine pretty snappy.

2. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you post the specs? Or a link to which one your looking at

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Yes it's a good deal. They're open box though.

4. Buzzhater

Buzzhater Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, what battery life do you get from these newborn Coolsense DM3s? Thought of ordering one but need at least 6.5-7 hours of web browsing :)

5. gsenzer

gsenzer Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the SP9300/NvidiaG105, 4Gb RAM and it flies! I don't know about the i3UM chips - they don't look very powerful. One things for sure; removing the HP "Crap-ware" that comes preinstalled makes a big difference. You don't have to do a clean install but, count on a few hours of uninstalling, msiconfig, and general systems admin work. A clean install could be faster.

Don't know about the trackpads - have you updated the drivers and tuned the TP response with control panel? My DM3-1000 has the old TP and, after updating bios & drivers it works fine. I've used the new style tps on the DV6 and think its great.

If I was buying a new DM3, I'd probably wait for the i5 chips that are listed in the service manual.

Good luck.

6. City Pig

City Pig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That part can be easily fixed. By default, it's set to scroll three lines at a time. going into the touchpad settings and changing it to one line fixes that "issue" for the most part.

7. tsanga

tsanga Newbie

Reputations:
    When I did the clean install in the main partition, I left the recovery partition alone (D:\), as well as a small FAT "HP_Tools" partition at the very end.

However, after the clean install, hitting F11 no longer works to boot into the recovery partition. I'm guessing the clean install replaced the boot manager (BCD?) from the factory. Also, I cannot find the HP software on their website to re-install to enable creating recovery discs.

I did find out that by going into disk management and marking the recovery partition active, I can boot into it. But this wouldn't be very useful if my primary Windows partition is already corrupt.

Can someone point to me where I can re-install recovery manager, and re-enable the original boot manager?

8. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Just recently purchased an HP portable simplesave (320gb). Looking for an ssd to install in my dm3t.

Any prospects? I'd like numerous suggestions ranging from high performance high ends to competitively priced lower end ssds. 60gb-80gb.

(Would I be able to squeeze my OS and primary applications on to a 30gb or 40gb ssd?)

9. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I bet you would be able to.... Check out Tiny Windows 7...

It's basically Windows 7 completely stripped down made by a third party. It isn't officially supported but as long as you have a valid license it isn't illegal.

10. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    By the way, does anyone know where I can find the old model HP DM3t with the nVidia 105M graphics card with either the SU7300 or SU4100 (not the SP9300)?

I love the DM3 so much that I think I might throw $200 to upgrade from the one I have to one of those because I need 5 hours of battery... I have been checking ebay and craigslist and none of the intel ones have the nvidia 105m.

Just to be sure I'm doing the right thing, what is the battery life on the SU7300 + 105M combo? Did this ever have switchable graphics?

I heard that the SP9300 + nvidia 105m combo provides about 5 hours max when you have the 4500MHD on, is that right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.