HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    same boat, but with the x120e.
    I'm spoilt by the good battery life and overall performance. yes faster would be nice, but not at expense of weight, heft, lousy display, heat, and batt life
    Now that i've adjusted to the size, other things look HUGE... meanwhile I like my Galaxy Note phone... 720p video on that puppy and pretty fast. how could I then go by a huge honkin' 13.3 or 14 lapfull ???
    I was hoping to find a Trinity-based 11 or 12 inch but they're just not out there, and the e2 model hp costs as much as a A6 or even A8-based 14"...
    after using radeon gpu/apu on this unit and a radeon gpu on my htpc, I can't tolerate intel onboard graphics. any of them would be a downgrade I don't want to endure.
    i could go nvidia, but then we're talking about all the above compromises.

if you come up with any win ideas, I'm all ears..:thumbsup:

2. moovius

moovius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. I'm still happy enough with it, but it's been 2 years now. I'm growing tired of the cpu hampering HD video playback on YouTube and the like.

It looks like more ultra books will come with touch screen. I should probably wait another year till the market settles into windows 8 (with the focus on touch screens). I wouldn't mind a touch screen option, but sub $500 would be a tough find.

I'll keep my eyes open.

3. TotWow

TotWow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got a laptop for only 400 dollars a6 amd hp 14 inch so far so great . 3 years ago I was going to get a dell mini 9 for only 299. Then I seen the original hp dm1 in early 2011 I think... can't remember, I went to mico center to get closer look at it. I fell in love with it but then I realize the screen was a little to small for me...

Then all of these amd fusion chip started to come in. I seen all of these hp 14 inch amd a4 in 2011 it was a bestbuy model ...it was only for 350 dollars. ohh I was going to get it but never had to chance too. Lucky Trinity came out 2012 . Finally I seen another 14 inch a6 amd model that was under 500 dollars. and I bought it. I knew it was faster than e-350.

It plays youtube HD just fine.. for 400 dollars I think it was a great deals.

oh yeah http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...76413-ultimate-amd-trinity-notebook-list.html

4. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well my HD suddenly died on my DM1 so I decided to replace it with an Intel SSD 120GB drive. I downloaded a retail ISO image of W7 premium and used the MS Key under bottom cover to activate. And wow, what a difference. Like a new machine. Much faster overall and web browsing is snappy now when using chrome. Getting better battery life as well. Full boot from off is less then 25 seconds, sleep is 1.5 seconds, full shutdown under 5 seconds. You tube is still limited to 720P videos but no dropped frames at that resolution. Last year MS upgraded netflix and its works good on DM1 now. My hulu plus works good on High settings but not the HD settings.

If you want to buy a new machine I would wait for MS Haswell. But those machines will be much more then your price point. However, probably by this summer we might start to see AMD with its new Kabini APU replacing the old brazos bobcat that you currently use on your DM1. Until then, there really is nothing except the slightly faster E2 bobcat which is on par with the original bobcat e-350.

What I suggest is updating your current DM1 to SSD if you have not done so already. This will bring new life to the older dm1. Its a really easy process thanks to the nice easy access to HD bay. I'm thinking HP will update the dm1 with the newer Kabini APU this summer. Once that happens you could take the SSD out of the current DM1, put the old HD back in that, sell it on ebay, and then buy the new Kabini system with the lowest priced HD configuration and do a fresh install of W8 and put SSD in. I'm sure there are ISO images of W8 on the net that you can activate your MS key with. Unfortunately, MS has already eliminated W7 as an option on the DM1.

Personally, I would not like metro on a dm1 without a touch screen. I would probably put the hack to allow it to boot to the desktop on W8. I'm also sorry to see the aero desktop go away with W8. Somehow its looks less appealing then W7 now. What a disaster W8 will be on low cost machines like the dm1. Its so bad IMO that I will probably just wait for W9 hoping that MS fixes the mess that W8 is.

5. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AMD Kabini based machines will be the best replacement for the DM1z, and should be in sub $500 small notebooks. All day battery life machines with better performance.

There will be Kabini Quads and dual core variants designated as A6 and A4 (replacing those Trinity spots), and replacing the E2 series. Maybe quads are A6, and duals are A4 and E2, based on their clocking/TDP. They have a 15W quad core SoC (incorporates chipset Southbridge in addition to the Northbridge memory controller) Kabini that has about 50% better CPU and 50% better GPU performance than the current Brazos2.0 E series. So a 15W TDP replacing an 18W Brazos chip plus its 3W Southbridge. Overall, a 6W TDP drop for a lot better performance. Its not going to need as much cooling, or board space, so it should be in some real slim machines, especially the lower performance, or dual core models with lower 9-12W TDP.

I think, from a dual core Brazos/Zacate to a dual core Kabini, there will be at least 15% improvement in IPC, and 10% clock increases, according to AMD's site. So even a dual core will show a good improvement in performance.

Now, if the 15W Kabini is 50% better, and was demonstrated at CES to outperform an ULV i3 in some scenarios, imagine what the 25W variant for larger low cost notebooks is going to be like :eek: :thumbsup:

I was surprised to see the E series in 15" notebooks the last few years, they are a good value at about $300, but the size could pack in a lot more performance. Now it wont even be low performance.

6. HI DesertNM

Reputations:
    I'm sure it will be the dual core that goes into the dm1. The key is if it can render youtube flash at 1080P without dropping any frames. If HP puts the 15 watt in the DM1 I'd go for that if it got 5 hour battery life. Sounds like It should being I think the E-350 took more power then that.

7. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the fastest dual core will likely be in that 15W range, and an E-350 would have eaten 21W for the same functionality, so you will get more hours with the same capacity battery, or the same battery life with a smaller capacity battery. I intend to purchase a convertible with a quad kabini, or maybe a tablet with Quad Temash, whenever they Surface :wink: pun intended.

8. HI DesertNM

Reputations:
    I tend to agree that convertibles make the most sense for W8. But I'm not sold on metro yet:confused: One thing is for sure, Intel and AMD have nothing good to put into a convertible for battery life. IVY bridge has crappy battery life and heat issues. I'm also thinking MS will have a quicker product cycle for W9 for a lack of interest and frustration with the current UI. I think lots of people are just sitting on the fence right now. Probably why PC sales are down and surface is bombing. Surface will definitely bomb being its is not a great laptop and the form factor with long 11.6 inch screen 16:9 makes it stupid to hold. Its an interesting design but not very practical. In a way, W8 did the opposite what MS wanted. MS wanted in on the phone market and to spur sales with metro on PC's. What ended up happening during the holidays is that folks distanced themselves from W8 and went with android/IOS smaller devices instead.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    AMD is great for battery life. It's just they keep putting 4 cell batteries in the devices that use them. I think there's some collaboration going on behind closed doors. There's always concessions made when it comes to AMD laptops. They're usually bigger, heavier, and with smaller batteries than the Intel counterpart.

10. BazMcG

BazMcG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the middle of swapping machines from the DM1 to a lenovo B560. I managed to take the the hard drive out of the dm1 and succesful instal win7 on the lenovo with that hard drive. However upon putting the hdd from the lenovo in the dm1, when I boot up in the dm1, the screen stays pure black. I can hear the hdd spin and even took it out and tried it again in the lenovo, worked fine, let me boot to the instal screen np.

Any ideas, I tried the old take out battery and hold power button carryon, im a bit lost now tho, it wouldnt be the LCD cable, got knocked about and came loose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.