HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misstenacity

misstenacity Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, and way more capable, not to mention cheaper, than something like a Transformer Prime (that has insane battery life).

Four days with the machine and slowly making the transition away from my LT3103u - it's harder than I thought. I'm so used to how that machine feels that it is comforting where the DM1Z is strange and new. Heh. First world problems, eh? :rolleyes:

2. Toddskins

Toddskins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had to Google "Transformer Prime" to know what you were talking about, and wound up on a ZDnet page of some guy named James doing a review of it, and going on and on about the death of the PC in various ways. Thank goodness a couple guys commented on his review and blasted him with some good statements.

A couple months ago, ZDnet censored my comments against tablets which were too true for their liking (or their advertisers' liking), and I then realized that ZDnet is not worth crap. It is now one of my many aims in life to make sure that ZDnet goes down the toilet.

Instead of rebutting my comments, they deleted my post. Well screw them.

Here's an approximate summarization of what I wrote:

Tablets are completely lame for 2 solid reasons. One, when you want to watch a video or movie, you have to find a sugar (or salt and pepper) dispenser to use to support the tablet while it leans against it at a viewable angle. Lame. People now are buying fold-out keyboards, wire mesh rigs to support the tablet, etc. Dumb. They got suckered into buying half a PC Laptop and now regret it.

Two, My wife and I burst out laughing the other day when we saw a businessman standing at a table of his colleagues trying to get access to something on his tablet. He held the tablet in his left hand/forearm, while with his right index finger, poked at the touchscreen keyboard to type. Lame at its best. One poke of a letter at a time. Really.

Continuing #2, how smart was it when, to use a keyboard to type, the software screen keyboard comes up over the screen you had been looking at, causing the main image to disappear. So now you can no longer see the important information you were looking at, nor perhaps the fields you want to type into, i.e. address field.

In conclusion I said, "Steve Jobs really showed his genius when he caused millions of people without sense to buy something because they were led to believe it was smart."

Something like that.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Toddskins, lol +1

Although cynical, very good points. That's what I hate about my touchscreen Android. Any time I have to point it takes up half the screen. And I always thought it was impractical if you have to buy a stand and keyboard as well.

A convertible tablet like the ThinkPad X220 makes sense. Have ability to fold it and use it like tablet, but its primary function is as a laptop. I really hope this tablet craze dies down quickly. Tablets have their place, but it will never replace a laptop. If they do, I'm done with computers.

4. AppleUsr

AppleUsr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the batteries for these dm1 models are cheap as heck. im seeing them for 30 bucks for the 6 cells. I get steady 6 hours easy on the battery it came with. so for 30 bucks you can go unplugged for 12 hours.

I really shouldnt sell mine its been an awesome machine but i want a cintiq so bad...

5. Toddskins

Reputations:
    Hey AppleUsr,

Where are you finding batteries for $30, and are they new or used for that amount?

I just checked Ebay again and the ballpark figure is $50 w/free shipping.

6. Toddskins

Reputations:

The editor of MaximumPC just wrote in a recent issue (2 or 3 months ago), the ridiculous claims of "journalists" who have predicted the death of the PC for the alternatives, and have been for years, and he rather as much spit on them. " 'Never happen."

But like you, I too would be done with computers if it ever came to that.

BTW, do you have any latest news on the Intel Centrino N-6230 Wireless card, in that can it be installed without hiccups, or does the radio button not work perfectly still? I read some posts back that it was not working perfectly with the Bluetooth driver, and that if you clicked the radio button off, Bluetooth would not turn on again until you restarted the machine, or turned it on via the Control Panel. I don't use Bluetooth, but was just wondering if you had any latest news?

Also, I wrote Intel and asked them for a verified Vendor list since it seemed there were so many 3rd party OEM sellers of their product and that I had read some sellers state that some of their cards (N-6230) did not work with HP or Lenovo machines. Intel wrote me back and said I could call their 800 number to find out, which I did not do yet.

Know anything more?

7. AppleUsr

AppleUsr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    amazon was where i saw them but when i went back to look again it looks like the battery i was looking at for 30 was for the dm4 not the dm1.

8. BazMcG

BazMcG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question, I have the Dm1-4004sa and have upgraded with a corsair force 3 240gb ssd. I want to get round to some gaming but the cpu is quite slow. What are my upgrade options if any? Is this a FT1 socket? I know they can take E and C series but I noticed the likes of the Amd e2-3200 have a significant increase in power demands.

Thanks, Baz

9. LoneRonin

LoneRonin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the DM1 laptop is supposedly being discontinued, I was at bestbuy and they said they will no longer be receiving any...Its weird because they jacked the price up.
    I got mine at 479.99, then price dropped to 399.99 within two weeks and they refunded me the difference. Now the price is at 529.99, way to much for the E-450 model.
    I don't know if they're discontinuing it completely or just phasing out the AMD cpu in favour of the Intel processer...

10. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The cpu is soldered....so cannot be easily swapped with anything else.

They might be discontinuing the one with the E450 but hp is still selling the dm1 with the 'newest' E1 and E2 series which offer ever so slight increase in performance.
    HP Pavilion dm1z-4200 Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.