HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gl_ix

gl_ix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all.

Long time lurker but just decided to register.

I have a DM1-4050US (with bios F.13) and took the chance purchasing and installing a single 8GB RAM module, I can report it works perfectly in every way, shape and form. Passed Memtest with flying colours with a reported speed of DDR3-1330 and timings at 6-6-6-20. The module is by Corsair, model CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9, I bought it for just under CAD$50 plus taxes.

My apologies if this has already been covered somewhere in the previous 399 pages, but if not, I hope it helps someone on the fence about upgrading their RAM capacity in the single-slot Intel version :)

Edit: Cpu-z reports timings of 9-9-9-24 which is what's on the packaging, no idea what's going on with memtest but it's working in any case.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Memtest doesn't always seem to report proper timings. CPU-z, HWInfo, etc or any other Windows app usually are more accurate.

3. veence01

veence01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone knows the difference between dm1-4010us and dm1-4125ea?

4. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Appear to be the same with some minor differences. 5400rpm vs 7200rpm HDD. The 'ea' and 'us' in the end of the model names indicate regions where they are meant to be sold (Europe/ME and US). So, you will have region specific changes like different power plugs, warranty etc.

5. veence01

veence01 Newbie

Reputations:
    I found a 4027sa @ 330 Euro. 320 Gb SATA, 5400 rpm

6. LoneRonin

LoneRonin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've had this laptop for a little over a month now. I have the E-450 AMD version with a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate.Its reasonably speedy for what I ask of it and performance wise I'm satisfied. However I've got to point out the hardware aspect could be improved...

Its a dust and fingerprint magnet despite the matted finish and the soft plastic is vulnerable to surface scratches. Also the hinges don't seem to be too long lasting or solid but unless they're abused you should be ok.

What I hate the most is the glossy black bezel. It scratches and gets marked up way to easily...After I took of the the plastic covering I could immediately see these little spots which looked like some leftover residue running along the border and tried to wipe the away but it left the markings...

Its just little things like that, that annoy me. I really like my laptop looking nice and clean and don't believe it when I see people and their laptop are all nasty and haven't been wiped down in ages...

HP is just notorious for that especially in their consumer line, but all companies seem to be going that way.

7. hellfire88

hellfire88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a difference between the "new" dm1z (dm1z-4000/4100) and the dm1-41xx? They look the same to me in pictures but was wondering if one is lighter than the other or something. Thanks in advance.

8. misstenacity

misstenacity Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate your experiences with the bugger. Just got mine as an upgrade from my Gateway LT3103u (a really solid little 11.6'er that still works great for its specs). I haven't taken off the plastic yet - watching and listening to a HD click that hopefully is no problem. Nearly a year ago I bought a Lenovo with similar specs that was a lemon and sent it back and just continued with my Gateway until now.

But I hear you on the 11.6" conundrum - I was looking ultrabooks for a bit, especially that Dell 13.3" (the XPS) that is *almost* as small of a footprint as other 11.6" machines - way less real estate between the screen edges and the bezel edge. I think it is pretty lame that only one 13.3" currently has a resolution of MORE than 1366x768. For that extra physical space I want more pixels!!!

So price wise, this is definitely a compromise but I hope it will be lots of fun.

I only wish every single laptop in the world came with a mac touchpad. Damn those are addictingly delightful. :)

9. gl_ix

gl_ix Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm the same when it comes to glossy bezels, I always try to lift the lid open from the very edge so as not to leave a fingerprint by the webcam. Could be worse though, I have a friend who's Toshiba is glossy all over, including the keyboard.

I too was seriously considering an ultrabook when I got my DM1, but I wasn't happy with the included ssd capacities at the time and was concerned about exhaust noise given how little room there is for passive cooling facilities. I had a Dell Mini 1012 before this one which was entirely passively cooled using the keyboard as a heatsink, so I was pleasantly surprised that the fan on my Intel DM1 rarely seems to run.

Agreed on the screen, people seem to expect new smartphones to have immensely high ppi on 4-5" screens, but are ok buying your average 15.6" notebook that has 1366x768. Right now I'm waiting to see if any 10-12" Windows 8 tablets come out with a keyboard and touchpad dock (a la Asus Transformer), now that would be a dream machine for me and would replace this HP.

10. Toddskins

Toddskins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    RE: Ultrabooks

Don't forget, you're stuck with a non-replaceable battery. That's an enormous negative for numerous reasons.

I just happened to buy a slightly used 2nd battery for my Dm1z off Ebay for $26 delivered, and I think it might actually, somehow, be better than the "new" one in my 3 month old machine. In any case, because the battery is very small (fits snugly in my small, leather netbook case) I now have twice the battery time.

I NEVER even think about needing to be near an AC outlet.

So I run my Dm1z on fairly bright screen setting, with a 7200 rpm drive, running 8GB (2x4GB) RAM chips, listen to MP3's on it while I work on Sonar (Digital Audio Workstation) software for scoring MIDI files, do some web surfing, and open up another application which also has an enormous Webster Dictionary on my hard drive for the various words I read from certain authors that challenge my vocabulary, and seem to have a consistent 5½ hours run-time on one battery.

That's 11 to 12 hours run-time, "non-efficiently".

Love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.