HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTO64

CTO64 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Since my warranty period is almost up, I emailed HP directly to ask which wireless card was added to the 3000 model BIOS in the F.13 update. The response I received contained the following:
    I'm reasonably sure these two cards have always been supported by the 3000 series, so I'm guesing that either this information is incomplete or the update description on the F.13 BIOS download page is incorrect. Unfortunately, if this is the correct and complete information, you can see that neither of these cards are full-speed dual-band options.:(

2. meisjen26

meisjen26 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey..
    Question..

I need a good ultraportable laptop for school. I was considering this, but I need something with a little more performance that won't break my bank. I thought about getting the regular dm1z e450 edition with a ssd.

However, I see the i3 1.4ghz option. Which is the better performance? If I get the i3 i won't be able to afford the ssd.

I plan to use visual basic and web surf I may also use photoshop here and there.. Thanks

3. SuperNilton

SuperNilton Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.

I bought my dm1z almost a year ago, but only I decided to install a SSD (Intel 320 80 GB). Problem is that it feels very slow. I was not expecting a huge performance increase, but I dare to say that the 7200 RPM HDD was faster (except for booting). Would you guys have any tips?

By the way, could someone tell me where I can grap the HP Wireless Assistant? I knew I should have copied it somewhere else.

Thanks for any help.

4. augerpro

augerpro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Get the i3. The HDD can be easily replaced anytime you want but you will be stuck with the slower cpu if you get the e450.

A SSD can improve some things but anything that doesn't rely on storage performance wont see any benefits.

HP Wireless Assistant
    HP Wireless Assistant - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I'm not familiar with Samsung SSD's but BSOD's can be caused by a variety of things. Just to rule out the SSD have you tried to update the firmware. Also what graphics driver version are you running? Try updating that as well.

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    One thing to note too about SSD's, concentrate on one with low power consumption over performance. ULV systems really won't benefit much from a super fast SATA III SSD over a SATA II.

7. augerpro

augerpro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HP Assistant doesn't show an firmware update, and I'm not sure what model Samsung they actually use.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Hey has anyone run any amount of gaming benchmarks on the E-450 variant of the DM1z? Just curious if its a worthwhile upgrade from the E-350. The E-450 supports 1333MHz vs 1066MHz RAM of the E-350 and also runs the GPU to 600MHz vs 500MHz of the E-350.

9. Peakr

Peakr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what I've read around the web it's not, unless it doesn't cost you money to do so. I'll wait for trinity or ivy bridge mobile. I like the graphics side of amd apu's but supposedly ivy bridge is getting quite a bump in graphics.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well Ivy Bridge HD 4000 desktop GPU is no better than current get Llano APU's.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...074-hd-4000-vs-hd-3000-ivy-bridge-tested.html

I'm anticipating Trinity but it seems it may not come out until September even.

From what I've seen, Skyrim can run at native 1366x768 on E-450 but it's a slide show on E-350. I know E-350 only supports single channel DDR3, but not sure if E-450 supports dual channel or not. I don't think it does because it's the same platform. However as I stated in another thread, 1066MHz DDR3 vs 1333MHz DDR3 and 500MHz GPU vs 600MHz GPU is a 20-25% increase in performance which is pretty significant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.