HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob.allen

bob.allen Newbie

Reputations:
    I found a fix the wifi issue on the HP DM1Z. HP released a Bios Update F.02 / F.13. This update was to add the Intel 6230 2.4 and 5GHz dual channel N plus bluetooth to the whitelist of adapters. I previously tried to add just a 6200 and it wouldn't work. I have confirmed that the 6230 works and gets 150-300mbps. Thank You HP!!!!!

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Trinity should hit sometime in April I believe. Most likely availability end of April, beginning of May. They should release more info in February.

3. CharlieM76

CharlieM76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    +1 more. If they make a Trinity APU an option in the DM1, I'm upgrading again. :)

4. augerpro

augerpro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the 6230 standard on the 4000? Not sure if I should bother doing this update, what issue were you having?. Anyone else update to the new BIOS? Also I see there is a new LAN driver.

5. CTO64

CTO64 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nope. The wifi on the quickship 4000 that a relative of mine has is the same half-speed single-band specs as my e350 model (though I think theirs is made by broadcom rather than ralink.)

6. CharlieM76

Reputations:
    Anyone else have issues with the Intel SSD Toolbox on the DM1? I currently can't use the toolbox with my X-25M. I'm attempting to update the SATA drivers. We'll see if that helps.

Update: helped, somewhat. Toolbox can now at least communicate with the drive, but the optimizer won't run due to "Error: Raid array detected"

Update 2: HP support won't help me, cause the manual for the DM1 says it will only support 128GB and 160GB SSDs, so they won't help me except to tell me that I'm not supported. Bleah.

7. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't believe the toolbox works with the AMD SATA controller. Rollback to the default MS driver and see if that fixes the issue.

8. CTO64

CTO64 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, unfortunately, I can confirm that this card did not work for me:( . I have a DM1z-3000 (E350 model) and am running the F.13 BIOS. I ordered a 6230 card from Amazon here.

Turning on the DM1Z after installation presented a black screen with the following message:
    The label on the unsupported 6230 adapter that I received has the following model information:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
    Model:62230ANHMW
    FCC ID: PD962230ANH
    IC:1000M-62230ANH

9. CharlieM76

Reputations:
    Update on the X-25M. I switched to the generic driver and the toolbox worked.

Out of curiosity, I ran HD Tune on both drivers to check if the driver had any influence on performance.

Generic AMD
    Min 133.8 123.3
    Max 154.1 194.7
    Avg 149.0 158.4

10. CTO64

CTO64 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here's the final word on the Intel 6230 wifi card and compatibility with the DM1z. It turns out that despite having the same version number (F.13,) the BIOS for the DM1Z-3000 series has a different wifi white list than the BIOS for the DM1Z-4000. The download page for the 3000 series says rather cryptically that the update "Provides support for a new Wireless LAN card." Whatever card that is, my first-hand experience reveals that it is not the Intel 6230.

On the other hand, the BIOS download page for the 4000 series says very clearly that the update "Provides support for the Intel Advanced N6230 WLAN card."
    I tested this out on my relative's quick-ship 4000 model and can confirm that the 6230 works on the 4000 series with the F.13 BIOS.

There are some quirks with the Bluetooth functionality and both the HP Connection Manager software and the keyboard's radio on/off key. Turning the radio off via the keyboard key seems to completely remove the Bluetooth device from Windows until the system is rebooted with the radio turned on.

Also, the HP Connection Manager software does not see the Bluetooth component at all, meaning that it must be manually enabled or disabled via Windows device manager. I played around with various older versions of HP's connection management software (hoping to keep things simple for my relative) but the closest I got to full functionality was when one of the old Wireless Assistant applications recognized the WiFi/Bluetooth devices as a single "combo" that could be enabled or disabled together but not independently.

so lucky for all you 4000 series owners who want full-speed dual-band Wifi on your DM1z. Those of us with a 3000 model will just have to wait until either HP clarifies which card has been added, or someone manages to find that out on their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.