HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Make sure you make your recovery DVD's. Then if you are paranoid, wipe the drive with something like KillDisk or DBAN. This will DESTROY any data on your drive. So make sure you get whatever you need off it.

Then from the recovery DVD (or USB thumb drive) select "Minimal Recovery Installation". At least that option has been in every HP I've owned (3 to date). This will install the OS and all drivers and minimum required HP apps and recreate the recovery partition. It will be like new.

2. Netbook Confusion

Netbook Confusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. I don't have a DVD drive for it but as long as I can do this process using a USB stick I should be ok. How big a memory capacity does it need to be?

3. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You'll need a 17GB+ USB stick for the recovery files.

4. Netbook Confusion

Reputations:
    The biggest I have is 4GB :confused:

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It should tell you once you start up the recovery program. Should be 16GB.

Invest $15 for a 16GB USB Flash drive or buy a USB DVD drive ~ $30-$35. Or see if you can borrow a USB DVD drive from someone. I believe you also have the option of purchasing the recovery DVD's direct from HP for about $20.

6. Deihmos

Deihmos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A 16gb flash drive will not work. You need a 32gb flash drive or a usb drive will do.

U don't see why you need the recovery. It is better to do a clean install using a Windows disk.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well, heck on my DV6z it says 16GB USB flash drive is sufficient. I was assuming it would be the same for DM1z. A USB hard drive will not work.

In any case you should keep the recovery in case you sell the laptop. You should also backup the C:\SWSetup folder because it contains all the drivers and other utilities needed some not even available through HP's website.

I don't recommend not having some sort of recovery media backup even if you do a clean Windows 7 install.

8. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Over the last year many have tried doing it with a 16GB USB Flash and I can assure you, everyone has said it failed every time. The image is just over that amount. :(

9. Netbook Confusion

Reputations:
    By the way, do I actually need to do backups if I've already taken all the files I want from the computer? I would ideally like it to be as it was when it first came out of the box, or after Windows was first initialised but before I started installing my own software.

10. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, not necessarily but if you do plan on using DBAN or Kill disk to wipe data off the drive then you will need restore DVD/USB stick to put the system back to factory state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.