HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyG

GuyG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also have the WD, it is a really nice, fast drive that you can barely hear. I meant an ssd in my other post but I realy don't want to give up all my storage for a faster boot and slightly better performance, not to mention a lot of money. Someday.

2. CutControl

CutControl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Someone might want photos:
    PCI-e
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    HP tech.supp reply:
    "I have verified our database and found that HP Pavilion dm1z-3000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC was not bundled with a PCI-E slot. In case, if your notebook has a PCI-E slot, then I would like to share that only few Notebook PCs were bundled with a Mini PCIe SSD connector. Some netbooks/notebooks use a variant of the PCI Express Mini Card as an SSD. This variant uses the reserved and several non-reserved pins to implement SATA and IDE interface pass-through, keeping only USB, ground lines, and sometimes the core PCIe 1x bus intact.
    Unfortunately, the 1.8” SSD are not available from HP. Hence, I would request you to contact the manufacturer of the 1.8" SSD which you would like to purchase and check the compatibility and functionality of the SSD with your notebook."
    and
    "We sent your photos to our technical department and they have verified that this is a PCIe slot. I advice you to visit your local HP service center to confirm if a mini pci-e ssd will work in your laptop"
    I'll try to lift my lazy butt and visit it as the lady said =)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UPD: Just met with a guy who has an Asus 9" with a 16gb SSD. IT DOES NOT FIT TO WIDTH! I doubt that it will squeeze in, but luckily there is a plastic plank that can be removed by cutting it. I know this is extreme for most people. Not for me thou =)) I need to confirm that the drive WILL work before I do it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. GadgetAddicted

GadgetAddicted Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No way to confirm it if you're the first to try! You can be the DM1Z pioneer!

4. CutControl

CutControl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's what I meant, confirm by trying myself :D
    I'm out of ideas so I'll contact HP directly about the bios. Maybe a petition is worth a go. SSD card would make it an ultimate portable!

Can anyone tell if you can take on of these and solder it to the USB internally?
    http://b23.ru/n5f6

5. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are there any coupons for this laptop right now?

6. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. deucelee

deucelee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    not sure if this was discussed yet, but the latest copy of consumer reports gave it a pretty crappy rating...like a poor (full black circle) for performance...a score of 49/100

that's pretty crappy, man i'd like to see what the heck they were smokin when they tested it...

anyways, i got an extra 15% off for my dv7 being late so i picked this baby up (dm1z) for the wifey...it'll be here next Tuesday...

we bought a Acer Aspire 1430z but it keep randomly freezing and restarting so we returned it and bought this....i sure hope it performs better then the acer...it couldn't hold any 720p movies...

anyways, kinda ticks me off what the heck consumer reports was testing when other mags and sites gave it great reviews...i.e. Maximum PC gave it a 9/10 last month...

8. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And it's just getting better all the time. With the newer adobe flash 10.3 and ATI 11.5 drivers this can do 1080P streaming flash as well as any MKV 1080P container I have tried. About the only thing it studders on is neflix HD which uses silverlight. MS just released silverlight 5 beta which should upload more to the gpu but you have to have visual studio to install it. Have not tried it. But its the only Achilles heel of the dm1, which is silverlight.. since it relies totally on cpu power until silverlight 5 comes out.

Also, with the new bios just released, this machine is almost silent now.

9. CutControl

CutControl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    SAVEHP30 works
    LOGICBUY30

All the good ones are expired.

10. cyberman312

cyberman312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought new DM1-3101eg from Germany with 4gb of RAM and 500GB HDD. Sure, it was with german Win7 Home Premium x86. I did a clean windows 7 home premium x64 install of english version using very very useful ABR program to safe windows activation after win7 reinstalling. updated BIOS very helps reduce cooling fan noise. with the clean win7 even with not istalled HP Cool sense it almost not audible surfing I-net. I change my mind to install HP soft controled fan speed after BIOS was updated and clean win7 was installed, because I don`t need it! Noise completely disapeared! The rotation of the fan not disturb me at all, even playing HD video on youtube. Well, I am noticed that with new system without a big amount of crap soft the notebook become much cooler, even with low speed fan rotating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.