1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP DM1z

Discussion in 'HP Pavilion Notebooks' started by TSE, Jul 20, 2010.

1. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably has something to do with BIOS settings for the HDD controller. AHCI or IDE communications.

2. moovius

moovius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just purchased the Acer Aspire V5-171-6422 (Anandtech Review).

I was tired of not being able to watch 1080p streams without hiccups and stuttering because of the limitations of the e-350 cpu, even browsing was a pain when things would lock up as the processor chugged on flash or pages with lots of pictures.

So far the Acer is really nice. Keyboard is fine compared to the dm1z. I owned an Acer 1410 netbook prior to the dm1z, so I have had a bit of netbook experience (yes, netbook, I'm calling 11.6" a netbook).

The only snafu is they ship it with a 5400 rpm hd. I'm replacing that with an older SSD so I should be seeing some nice speed increases.

Browsing is a dream and I'm still testing things out. And it doesn't get anywhere near as hot and loud as my dm1z. And let me tell you, I stress this thing out. I game and run big office apps, I'm pretty much a netbook's worst enemy.

If anyone is looking to buy a dm1z in good condition, I'll have it up on eBay sometime in May. It's served me well, but it was time to move onto something faster.

Edit: Man, I wish there was a forum thread for the Acer v5-171 series. I can't find much online for tips and tricks (and hacks).

3. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    game?
    you'd be the first to claim that as a gamer.
    I'd be interested in hearing a longterm review of this - it has a mixed track record per reviews i've seen [real users, not writers]

4. moovius

moovius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. Admittedly, I am a gamer. I play some pretty resource heavy titles like Eve online and some of the FSP shooters. Although, the majority of what I do on my netbook is work related with web browsing and Google documents. The first thing I was concerned about was streaming video at high res, and this thing handles everything I throw at it with ease (so far). (Eve runs much better, I was a bit concerned that the Intel graphics wouldn't keep up, but it's throwing out great framerates with game settings to high.)

I just figured out how to reinstall the windows 8 core OS, so I'm reinstalling all my software right now. I did the same with all my previous netbooks because I can't stand the bloatware and/or backup options they force upon you. Windows 8 is a tough sell for me, I would have much preferred Windows 7 Home Premium, but I don't want to fork over extra $$$ to accomplish that. I'm using Classic Shell to make Win 8 more tolerable (boots to desktop, restores start button, etc).

Other then that, I added a 128GB SSD recently to replace the slow stock hd.

One big positive is how much cooler this Acer runs than my DM1z. The one big negative is the battery they chose to put in this. It only lasts 3.5-4 hours with constant use, maybe 5-6 hours with moderate use.

Last thing, this track pad is MUCH better than the DM1z's. It has better sensitivity and more surface area. I'm assuming part of the reason it works so well is because the cpu isn't constantly chugging to catch up all the time. It is a night and day experience.

If anyone has a request for a game to test (that I don't have to buy) or simple benchmark to run, let me know. The Anandtech article was pretty thorough.

5. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe you should buy an AMD notebook built in the last year or those coming out next month with a Kabini SoC with Jaguar cores and GCN GPU. They will blow away any previous netbook or anything Intel can deliver in the next year or two, even that ULV i5 in the Acer.

Did you put an SSD in your DM1z? My GF uses our DM1z, that was delivered for less than $500 total when it first came out, daily for school report, work reports, web games, websurfing with like 30 tabs open with lots of pictures and it never has any issues. And she will be doing all of those things at the same time. It does blow some hot air, but it has never caused it any problems, and its better to use it on a lapdesk even though she never does. It takes quite a bit of abuse, laying on the couch, crammed between cushions or the armrest or in her large purse. Never have any problems with it. Could be your choice of virus scan or other stuff on it.

Now my older C2D thinkpad does load things a bit slow, but its old, especially scripts on a lot of webpages, and my i7 Elitebook has issues with the same type of stuff, and yet my FX based desktop on the same wireless internet connection is lickedy split fast.

6. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really hope your right,but the miscues, mostly from OEM's, on trinity leaves me thinking they will not survive long enough to see this stuff come to light.
    all the MS client states are in a death spiral with non-moving product in the pipeline, model decisions galore, and very very scary numbers. and MS STILL will not confirm or deny a sp1 or some planned release to kill the UI for keyboarded notebooks. Intel can bury AMD at will - heck their product isn't moving as they had hoped anyway, so the situation is no worse if they sacrifice ULV i5 models just to cut amd's throat.
    the OEM's had a chance with Trinity to sell awesome performance at a very competitive price, but chose not to. now ebay is stacked with STILL non-moving inventory while the Radeon fan club has moved on, as this post indicates, to the next thing coming down the pike.

7. moovius

moovius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. I installed an SSD in my DM1z, the WEI score for hd went up to 7.6 but my user experience was still hampered by the weak cpu.

After using this Acer for 2 weeks, I fired up my DM1z to do a few things and I couldn't believe how much slower it is than the Acer. I could never go back at this point. It's that much of a difference.

I'm pretty happy with this upgrade. Now to get my DM1z ready to sell.

8. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yep the cpu is modest. What's the delta in WEI gaming scores, however?

9. TommyB0y

TommyB0y Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How can you even compare a E350 to an i5, this is not the thread to complain about how slow your DM1z is compared to a new i5 laptop, its kind of trollish. I could say the same thing about a C2D or C2Q, or an i3 or an Atom. We all know the i5 is faster than an E350.

10. moovius

moovius Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Correct. It is unfair to compare the two.

I was just overjoyed to find it was a better product (Acer) than I had assumed when it was announced last year. I'm just a DM1z owner sharing my personal 11.6" form factor upgrade experience.

11. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i was asking about the WEI Gaming delta between the two, assuming the dm1z is tuned right and unconstipated, but in the meantime I think, actually, a comparison of them is interesting:

3dm_vantage.jpg

12. jsizzie_2004

jsizzie_2004 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Necro Post Alert!!
    Is this thread still alive? Anyone still using the HP DM1Z?
    I gave mine to my brother!
    I just wanted to know how the Catalyst 14.9 WQHL performance in this little monster for the E-350 APU

13. jsizzie_2004

Reputations:
    Necro Post!

I think a while back I downloaded a OSX themed windows 7 tweak hence I was able to write that previously. Otherwise I just tried it and restored to normal windows 7 HP OS

14. jsizzie_2004

Reputations:
    Anyone still down with the HP DM1Z? (Poking the dead horse that deaded and dieded)