HP Compaq nc8430 Review (pics, specs) Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by BlazinBWF, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    This is a review of the HP Compaq nc8430, a business oriented mainstream notebook with a 15.4" screen, Core Duo processor and ATI X1600 graphics card. The nc8430 is currently one of HP's best selling business models with its great combination of power and portability.

Read the full content of this Article: HP Compaq nc8430 Review (pics, specs)

Lasted edited by : May 7, 2015
  2. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Great review... looks like a very nice notebook. But it looks like the X1600 is underclocked a bit, when compared to Asus and Acer notebooks with the X1600, it does not do quite as well. Could you tell us what the core and memory are clocked at?

3. celondil

celondil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great review BWF. Do you have any light leakage on yours?

Jason, this came up earlier today on the forum -- 425/378 for the GPU clock.

Also, as for the RAM ugrade/documentation issue, some of the software installed on the system gives directions on how to install RAM (under Start | Help and Support Center). Also, the product support page on HP's site includes the whole service manual.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=101&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1839150

Granted, you'd either need a second computer or to print that part out in advance. Personally, I'd rather HP save a few trees than print out all that stuff when 95% of the people won't ever use it.

4. ahidalgo

ahidalgo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great review! HP normally mades god laptops, and this is one. Before I got my acer I had an HP nx7000 and this was the best, but I know that HP is expesive. I hope you could get more of this x1600.

5. martynas

martynas Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I like design of that thing. Hope, they will not change it with Core 2 Duo machines.

Also 5 in 1 card reader would be nice...

6. Metamorphical

Metamorphical The Random Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Great review, I really like this particular machine. Whoa, steady Niki! No buying one now. It's seems like a fantastic blend almost to good to be true. it seems to be one of the few machines in its size that has everything, save a multicard read. But Dell Lattitudes and most of the Thinkpads don't even have SD readers. During this review you keep calling this machine relatively light, I'm curious to know the weight and thickness of this 15.4".

7. admlam

admlam Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I would really like to get the nc8430. But only the lowest model with the T2400 fits within my budget. I'd be willing to spend another $100 on upgrades to boost the RAM up to 1gb and getting a DVD burner after buying it from amazon.com for $1400.

My questions are:

Would a slim DVD burner such as the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151132 fit in there?

And would openning up the laptop to install RAM and the DVD burner void the 3 year warrenty?

8. fy822

fy822 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know if HP contracted ASUS for this model? It looks an awful lot like the Z96J.

9. Bhatman

Bhatman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How does it look like the Z96J(mind you it looks just like the S96j. The motherboard is in a different config and the buttons are all totally different. Even the leds are on the opposite side of the lid(rather than right than left)

10. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Specs are wonderful, but for some reason, the HP design is not something that is attracting me very much. Well the externals are really good, but that keyboard looks ugly!

But that being said, your review has been a very nice one - HP Reviews here at NBR is always something to look forward to. Nice machines being inspected isn't to be missed (=