1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP Compaq 6910p Full Review

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by marmion, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NTNU

NTNU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, when I use the recovery manager, will I get the possibility to choose between 32Bit and 64Bit as I could when I set on the PC the first time?

And if not, how can I switch to 32Bit?

2. yazzi

yazzi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dont think so, at least i didnt...

3. ctdw

ctdw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does this noise issue (near HD when speaker is not muted) really require a new systemboard? I just got a new 6910p this week and have this issue. If it is a systemboard issue, what is the chance you will get a replacement that corrects it when they are still shipping new units with this issue. My unit has a build date of 10/07, so it's not that old.

CTDW

4. yazzi

Reputations:
    hard to say, they changed the HD at the same time, so... actually i can still hear that sound, but not as high and frequent as before

5. ctdw

ctdw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think I found a resolution for the strange noise coming from the hard drive area. Since it goes away when you mute the speakers, it obviously is related to the audio hardware or drivers. I had a similiar problem on a ThinkPad T61 last year (crackling noise) with Vista. I resolved it by removing the SoundMax drivers and rebooting so Vista loads a generic audio driver. I tried that on my 6910p tonight and the noise is gone so far. I feel confident that this resolved it since my noise issue was constant.

I suspect this will get resolved in a future SoundMax driver release (I was on the latest release before removing it).

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

CTDW

6. omg!

omg! Newbie

Reputations:
    i thought you were talking about the noise coming from the HD itself (the blowing kind of noise)

now, if you mean the noise coming from the speakers: this can be fixed if you mute the "PC Beep" under audio controls in vista (Playback->Speakers->Levels)

7. yazzi

Reputations:
    I dont know about this other sound... The noise I reported had nothing to do with the speakers

8. ctdw

ctdw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My noise sounded like it was coming from the drive, but it definitely went away when I muted the speakers. So it sounds like we are talking about two different noises. My fix above resolved my issue.

9. yazzi

Reputations:
    I discovered that over the touch-sensitive buttons, theres a transparent plastic film, didnt know it was there before I scratched it. I removed the film and the sensitivity of the buttons improved alot! Big difference! :)

10. tkyoshi

tkyoshi Newbie

Reputations:
    I briefly scanned around the forums but couldn't find any difinitive answer but I apologize if this has been asked (please direct me to a thread).

Anyway I just got a 6910p and love it but I have a problem with Battery Power.

Basically what happens is on AC Power the computer is perfect, but the second you take it off AC and onto Battery it seems to briefly stutter or lockup every few seconds for a split second. Under office usage it's less noticable but it is there, for example if you move your mouse in slow motion it will pause for a split second every 3-4 secs. Or if you hold down a key the same thing happens. The biggest annoyance is if you try to listen to music or watch a DVD, it will stutter every few seconds.

The thing is the instant you plug the computer back into A/C everything goes back to normal. I've tried setting all the defaults back, running high performance on battery with no luck. It only happens on battery, you can have a video playing perfectly on A/C but the second you pull the plug out it starts stuttering.

I have AC and Battery settings exactly the same to try to rule out any setting differences out with no luck :(

I also have all the latest drivers, and I did a clean re-format as well with no avail.