HP Broadcom in NP-5320?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ala, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ala

Ala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I live on a college campus, and there's a building on campus that I simply cannot get wireless in. Several of my friends have no problems, and with my old HP, I also had no problems. Therefore, I want to take the HP Broadcom wireless card from inside my HP (easily accessible from underneath) and put it in my NP-5320 (in place of the Intel PRO/Wireless 2915). The Broadcom card is a bit longer than the Intel card, but it fits in the slot fine. I know that any compatibility problems will pop up in Windows and are remedied by just removing the card, but what are your thoughts on the kosher-ness of the situation? I think it'll be just fine, but I want to make sure. :p Thanks!

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, it should work fine - I would try it. Make sure you hook everything up right.

Let us know how it goes.

3. Ala

Ala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On it now - decided to throw it in there soon after my post last night. I figured what the heck, right? Well, I've noticed some things:

1) I hooked up the main black wire to the "MAIN" connector on the card, and then I hooked up the gray wire to the "AUX" connector. ::shrug:: The Intel card only had a wire running from MAIN, but the Broadcom I pulled out of the HP had a black and white wire running from the MAIN and AUX, respectively. So I went with it!

2) We have wireless internet in my dormitory. With the Intel card, it would start at 54 Mbps and then slowly drop off to 1 Mbps. Been running the lappy since last night, and I STILL have 54 Mbps and excellent signal strength. :p

3) It might be completely unrelated (I suspect it is), but I've noticed HD temps several degrees lower than usual. The processor is still hovering around 38 - 39 C, but the HD, which is usually 48 - 49 C, is now down at 44 - 46 C. Once again, I don't know if it's related, but it's something I've noticed.

So there you have it - so far, I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the experiment. :D Just have to take it to the building I can't get wireless in and see if it works again...

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very nice. It definitely should have worked, considering that the 5320 doesn't have to have the Intel card.

Experiment - success!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.