HP 8760w/8770w: Replacing GPU and Switch Non-Dreamcolor monitor for a Dreamcolor

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by mcsey2k1, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LG Display LP173WF3-SLB3 is this DC screen? I would like to put into my 8770w better screen but only non-DC.

2. vlex_

vlex_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, this is one of the dc panels used for 8760w (and i think also for 8770w), but afaik it's not considered a dc-screen without the color board.

Although the panel has 40-pin lvds connector i can't tell you, whether it works without the board.

Good luck!

3. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I checked and it has 50 pins. :/ It is really hard to find better compatible screen than mine AUO219D.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    There are newer eDP displays, but you'll need custom made cable for them, also I'm not sure whether or not 8770w has eDP (ZBook 17 does), or DP (8740w and 8760w) on the display cable. Most likely it drives the DreamColor through DP (the rest options use LVDS, the connector combines all necessarily lanes), like it was in the previous models and they switched to eDP only connector on ZBooks.

5. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In one of the threads here, somebody was mentioned to have managed to connect an 8740w screen to an 8760w motherboard. Apparently worked - the connectors were even supposedly the same.. I'll just have to find the post somewhere.

6. vlex_

Reputations:
    Boy it's been hell of a few months... Ok, so here's what happened:

After getting my laptop from ebay for 650 bucks and figuring out it wasn't a DC as it was advertised, nor it was quad core, but rather a dual core with a quadcore cpu (as well as a bunch of other discrepancies), I got a refund of 120$, which was ok - the laptop is not bad, just not as advertised. So The grand total is 530USD for a non-DC full hd 8760w with a small sata2 ssd and 8 gigs of ram, which I quickly upgraded with the stuff I had from my asus that fell and broke, so I brought it up to 16 gigs of ram and samsung evo 850 500gig ssd and a second 1tb hard (later on I added an intel s3700 800gig ssd as a second ssd for video and photo editing cache). A while after that I got a backlit keyboard off of ebay for like 30 bucks or so, as well as got a quadcore board, that however turned out to be broken, so I ended up getting a refund.

Now we get to the interesting stuff - the (as of literally 15 minutes ago SUCCESSFUL DC-conversion):
    I got an slb3 panel off of ali express for abt 185 bucks including shipping (link), which I got quite quickly delivered to my address in Japan, however without the color board it was useless. Then I found a guy on TaoBao, who spoke decent english and was willing to send outside of china (yay!). So far so good, unfortunatelly though, I started talking with him a few days before the chinese new year, so after we chatted over the online chat of taobao for a few days, he calculated a price of 580RMB for the board and both cables including shipping (which is abt 90US dollars according to google) (link). So we agreed that he'd send it just after the chinese new year, because the post office was on holiday break and there was no way to ship it any quicker. Ok - his promise was to send it on 20th of February (which was ok, because it was supposed to arrive before I left Japan on 26th). Unfortunately he delayed the shipment for a while and I had to ask him continuously what's going on with the board. At last on 7th-8th of March he confirmed he got his hands on the board (more details about it in a sec), so he promised to send it on the very same day (which he did not). On 11th I finally got confirmation on taobao, that the parcel was sent with a tracking number, that returned no results. On 17th I got really pissed, cause he kept promising he sent it and it's on its way, that I just needed to wait (which given the fact I was pissed on the other chinese dude I bought the broken mobo from, wasn't promising). Boy, did I get surprised by a call from DHL (!) that there's a package addressed to me today at work. I got it and it looked new (which was nice, but more details about this in a sec), so the first thing I did after getting home was to install the board and replace the panel and it worked. I finally see and understand why the DC would make a laptop cost double. The colors, the viewing angles, the contrast, the sharpness... Just WOW!

So about the grape882008 guy was a bit slow in sending the board, which was frustrating, especially giving the bad experience I've just had with the board, BUT I have never been happier to be proven wrong - he did indeed an express delivery with DHL, which was a nice touch. He also showed me the DC assemblies he has gotten (I think abt 100 pcs total) that he had for sale and was selling for the equivalent of 200$, so if anyone wants to upgrade, upgrading over swapping the whole assembly would save you a lot of nerves and time (also as my case proves would be cheaper for you). The guy was positive he'd sell to others I recommend him to, so if you're fine with may be waiting for a while longer (which I give him the benefit of the doubt wasn't entirely his fault), you should be fine.
    [​IMG]

So yeah - that's how I got a DC 8760w for 805 bucks and I definitely will see to upgrade the board and the ram to 32 gig, so I make it a real beast :)

Here're a few pics (may be not really representative, but that's what the camera of my htc one m7 can provide):
    Non-DC:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And DC:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

P.S. For what it's worth I'm quite sure the camera of the phone I shot these with isn't calibrated, so the color representation would suck, but still it'd be enough to see the difference. Now I only need to figure out how to get my x-rite colormunky to work on win 8.1, and how to get my brightness control to work in win. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    xexexex and triturbo like this.
  7. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To upgrade from non-dc to DC I need motherboard, connectors and back cover. So it this case is really not worthwhile.

8. vlex_

Reputations:
    Not true at all - you need an lcd panel and a colorboard with cables. Whether it's worth it or not depends on whether you do any color sensitive type of workload on yoyr laptop like photo or video editing. If so, it's quite worth it, cause i couldn't find a dc model under the 1k$ mark, and i came up just above the 800 bucks one. ;)

9. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But now I have non-dc with 40 pins connector, to connect dc with 50 pins I need another motherboard. Or am I to stupid for this. So as you wrote I need only dc panel and display connector with 40 pins?

10. vlex_

Reputations:
    Then you're right in my shoes from 3 months ago :) Read the long post above and may be a couple of pages back too. It's not that you're stupid, it's just kinda counter intuitive - the mobo has a 40pin lvds connector, then it goes to a color board, which translates the 24-bit (8bpc) 40pin lvds signal into 30-bit (10bpc) 50pin display port one (the shady looking board on the picture above - the one that has something that looks like taken out of an alien spaceship :D). Honestly this is the first time I see or hear there's an additional color board like this and was completely puzzled, but then I managed to get one from taobao (which is a chinese site, and allegedly the only one that sells them, almost exclusively within china) and a panel off of ali express (links for both are embedded above) and did the upgrade. The good news is, that the guy who sold me the color board sells entire brand new screen assemblies, that you can basically get and swap your entire laptop screen against and simply plug the 40-pin lvds connector, wifi antennas and what not to your existing mobo and get a complete new DC screen with as little as like 15 screws to take out and put back in. The whole joy costs somewhere around $200, without shipping, which in my case was another 80RMB(or abt 12 bucks). :)

Hope that clears things up a bit.

edit: hmm, I now see you've got a 8770w - not sure yours uses SLB3 panel as the 8760w does. May be someone else would be able to tell ya whether these assembleis would work for you (I'm 90% certain they would, but still...) Cheers!

xexexex likes this.