HP 8760w/8770w: Replacing GPU and Switch Non-Dreamcolor monitor for a Dreamcolor

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by mcsey2k1, Oct 20, 2012.

1. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am using a 27" Dell P2715Q 4K monitor with my 8770w. It worked fine with the original K4000M that was in it, and also works fine with the GTX 980M that replaced it.

2. xTesla1856

xTesla1856 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to swap in a 8770w board in a 8760w chassis? I'd like Ivy Brdige and the ability to add a DC display, as I'm pretty spoiled by it in my 17 G2. Also, I have a Quadro M2000M on the way.

3. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Finally I made it. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

triturbo and TenGauge like this.
  4. PAVZO

PAVZO Newbie

Reputations:

HI kamilo23,

And Merry Xmas!! All the best!
    Any chance you can provide a bit more info on the exact DC you got, any
    links, price, store or any info at all?

I am looking for one to change my TNT panel with
    but the overall info is so confusing that I am afraid not to get the wrong one.

Cheers,
    PAVZO

5. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have sbl3 screen bought on Allegro and found there after few months lvds cables.

triturbo likes this.
  6. ZaratUstra

ZaratUstra Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know why may occur compression/posterisation in dark areas? Middle tones and highlights looks good, but not dark zones. Output color depth in Nvidia control panes set to 10 bpc.

Model: 8770W
    Display: DreamColor LGD02FC
    VideoCard: Quadro K5000M
    Driver Version: 385.73

[​IMG]

7. nl_dave

nl_dave Newbie

Reputations:
    I was forced to switch from my 8760W to a 8770W because I killed my perfectly working 675MX upgrade which I reported in 2014 and cannot find a different 675MX at the moment ..

In the end I now bought an used 8770W with FHD panel. I was hoping to switch around the DC2 screen from my 8760W to the 8770W. The first thing I did was swapping around the panels including cables/bezel. No fiddling with modded videocards, I used the original 8770W K3000M card. But, the 8760W DC2 does NOT work on a 8770W. It shows the BIOS information and Windows logo at startup but when it goes to Windows it produces a black screen (with the backlit turned on though).

I think I am done with this whole Dreamcolor addiction and going to stick with FHD for a while. All this hassling with parts, driver mods and testing works on my nerves too much.

8. ShunHax.exe

ShunHax.exe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I just picked up my 8770w (complete base model i think) with the 900p screen, I've been doing a couple hours of research into the screens (i spent 1 hour alone trying to track down the DC screen and assembly and cables and such). What i'm wondering is.... well since I can't seem to find a straight answer... is am i able to upgrade to a 980m 8GB with modded inf with the 900p display????(EDIT: Or will I have to upgrade to a FHD display?) I'm not sure if the resolution matters...but since i've given up on my DC dream.... i'd like to use just a 980m.... If I've missed something please point me in the right direction...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018