HP 8760w/8770w: Replacing GPU and Switch Non-Dreamcolor monitor for a Dreamcolor

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by mcsey2k1, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mcsey2k1

mcsey2k1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HP NBR Team:

I have two quick questions and hopefully I can get some goods replies which will have the ultimate answers. A quick background. I have an 8760w that is basically used for parts, which has a DreamColor Monitor and I just purchased a "quick ship" model 8770w (B8V69UT#ABA) should be arriving 10/23. With this said, here are my questions:

Questions 1: Is it possible to take the 8760w DreamColor Monitor and install it on an 8770w, which has the M4000 GPU (The 8760w has the M5950 GPU, so it still a Firepro variant)? Do I need to buy any additional parts?

Questions 2: Is it possible to replace the M4000 GPU in my 8770w with a M8900 GPU (The 8900 GPU is from Dell M6600)? I have seen a lot of people inquiring about this option for the 8760w, but they never seems to get a reply. Has anyone tried this before or have any relative information to share? Is it worth it or should I just keep the M4000 installed. (Lite video editing and photo editing with Adobe Elelements 10; No Gaming)

Thanks in advance for all replies. :thumbsup:

2. Dysprositos

Dysprositos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1) Yeah, that should be pretty easy to do as long as you're comfortable with opening up things. I assume the fitting-together of the display assemblies in the 8760W and 8770W are very similar so you may simply be able to take out a few screws and remove the display assembly in its entireity from the 8760W and just swap it with the 8770W, or you can go the more complicated way of removing the panel and the colour mapping board for the DC unit from the 8760W and mod that into the 8770W. I would go by the former route if possible. You can always swap the bezels if you don't want plebs to mistake your 8770W for an 8760W :).

2) If it's a Dell card, it's probably VBIOS locked to Dell so it won't work in your HP system. I'm not sure if anybody's hacked some ways around this, somebody else might be able to help you if that's case. I'm not sure if HP offers any of their own M8900 cards (probably not) with the HP VBIOS so, if you can't hack it, you may be able to buy one of those.

3. mcsey2k1

mcsey2k1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dysprositos,

Thanks for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. I took apart my M18x R1 and R2 and replaced the GPUs so I am pretty comfortable. Yeah, I wasn't sure on the M8900 either so I will just stick with the M4000 which should be good enough for my lite Video and Photography needs. Thanks once again :thumbsup:

4. Dysprositos

Reputations:
    No probs.

I would assume the 8760W DC2 setup is fully compatible with the 8770W, I have played about with things in the past and the 8760W DC board + panel hooks up fine with the 8740W and vice versa, so there's no reason it shouldn't here, especially given that the 8760W and 8770W are the same refresh. I think there's no ambient light sensor on the 8770W system, but that should not be an issue if you swap the entire assemblies, may not be an issue even if you don't.

5. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    typo?? the 8740w is 16x10 ( 1200 ) and the 8760w us 16x9 ( 1080 ) and wont fit. it may interface though.
    although I agree the 8760w and 8770w are the same, my panel ID's are even the same in the two.

6. Dysprositos

Reputations:
    Yeah, like I said I was playing about with things. Wasn't trying to mod one panel into the other notebook (although I wish I could put the 16:10 panel into the newer Elitebooks). We had an 8740W with DC screen coming in, but the monitor parts were coming in separately. The lads wanted me to test the panel before the main unit arrived (cause they thought the supplier was dodgy for some reason...), so I hooked it up to an 8760W just to test it.

7. KCETech1

Reputations:
    good info to know, I may try to convince my modification obsessed husband to mount an 8740w panel into an 8770w now

8. Dysprositos

Reputations:
    If I recall correctly, you can either swap the panels directly between two DC2 units (without swapping the color mapping boards, although I don't know what impact this has on the default stored colour profiles for each unit), or you can just swap the whole shebang, the connectors are the same and everything works just fine.

Haha, if I had the DIY skills (and equipment) to mish mash an 8740W and 60W I'd do it in a heartbeat. Please do convince him, I'd like to see pictures of this hybrid notebook on NBR.:).

9. KCETech1

Reputations:
    certainly has the skills and tools. as soon as I can part with a 70w for a week or two, it will possibly be complete.
    he used to enjoy screen transplants and put many old r50 uxga screens into other thinkpads even when aspect ratio changed

10. Dysprositos

Reputations:
    The 17.0" panel should fit the 8760W chassis if the bezel is trimmed shouldn't it? Also, re. the 70W, can you confirm HP is still using the LP173WF3 SLB1/2/3 panels? I note that you said the panel IDs as reported by MDA or HWInfo are identical.

The easy way to tell is if the monitor audibly beeps all the time with the AC unplugged, that's the only reason the 8760w annoys me, but I think I'm very odd in that regard, most people don't seem to notice the noisy DC2 panel in the 60w.