HP 6930p owner's lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by przemke, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jke

jke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for part numbers: sorry, don't know. eBay is the best option, imo. You could also just get the display cover with the integrated webcam and all antennae/s.

Yes, unfortunately normal with the ATI gfx - too weak for real games (back in 2008/09), too demanding for battery runtime. The worst part though is the CCFL screen, which is responsible for about 1h less battery runtime vs. the LED version (which was already available for Dell E6400 and Lenovo T400 back then, even in WXGA+ size). To increase battery runtime on the HP 6930P, I'd do the following: 1. SSD instead of HDD, 2. LED (WXGA) screen instead of a CCFL screen (WXGA, WXGA+), 3. get the version with an integrated Intel (on board) gfx.

2. mikespears

mikespears Newbie

Reputations:
    I can actually play games pretty decently on this. CS:S, TF2, Civ5 work well on this. I'm gonna get more batteries. Also, does the swap to LED require a mobo swap? I'll keep the ATI gpu. I'm running an SSD already.

3. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, the ATI HD3450 is not that bad, I used to play games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Drakensang on mine, they ran pretty well with some tweaking. I've since switched to the Intel iGPU version, though.

No. You'll need some other parts, though. See this post for more information:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...litebook-6930p-owners-lounge.html#post9091386

The panel mentioned in that post is one with WXGA+ resolution from a ThinkPad T410i. The only LED panel offered for the 6930p had WXGA resolution (known as Illumi-Lite), which in my experience is pretty hard to find (both as a standalone panel and as part of the display assembly). The only reason to go with that would be if you can find one for a reasonable price and don't mind the lower resolution (not sure which resolution your current CCFL panel is); otherwise, consider a WXGA+ LED panel from a ThinkPad T400/T410, Dell E6400/E6410 or similar contemporary laptop (make sure it's 16:10 aspect ratio, though). Note the 6930p's successor, 8440p, is 16:9 and thus unsuitable as a panel donor.

4. mikespears

mikespears Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahh okay. I think I'm gonna buy a more recent elitebook when I get my tax refund. Needs dedicated graphics or an Intel HD4000. I'm also open to a Dell E-Series. i-series proc would be great, but I need ddr3 ram so I can drop 8gb of ram in for cheap.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

5. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Save $30 on a new bezel.Locate center of webcam on bezel and drill hole with sharp pointed knife just slightly larger than cam lens.If you spend a lot of time in the rain,glue a small piece of cellophane to the inside of the bezel.Clean and replace double sided bezel tape to keep your rig "All Weather".Waterproof.

Cheers!

6. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    sorry doubled post

7. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi there guys again,

I have a question but first i see no one replied to mikespears questions
    From my experience of occasional laptop repair you'd better get whole display, not worth the hassle&potential screw-ups (assuming about the same prices on used)
    Regarding battery on ATI it should last much longer in battery-saving mode conditions (like 3-4hours i guess, check specs)
    But that's on a new one. I recommend ultra-capacity battery - if cost is acceptable for you - you can charge it independetly too

Do you have any experience in replacing these gelly thermal pads from gpu/chipset ? Anything like that below serves the purpose ?
    Fujipoly Thermal Pad High Quality for Laptop GPU Shin Etsu Thermal Paste | eBay
    today I just used thermap paste on everything, hope it will be fine. Not sure if i asked this question long ago, but this forum works so slow ;)

By the way watch out for the ZIF connector for the cable of the front button (wifi volume etc) - it broke easily on one side without a good duck tape that is a problem!

8. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Looks like those gelly thermal pads are needed. From today I get artifacts and then screen gets messed totally when I launch a game and the gpu reaches about 50degrees celsius

edit: regarding the pads, looks like originals can be obtained only through cooling, processor and mobo replacement kits so way too expensive. So universals are available. But problem is no manual says about the default thickness for them. Same for HP support when I called them ;)

Anybody has a clue more or less what the thickness of the pads should be ?

9. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Coming back to the topic: don't use thermal paste instead of the thermal pad !. My ATI graphics broke just after I got the thermal pad and was replacing it lol (no boot).
    Got it replaced cheap by local service but with no warranty because to the guys experience these chips may not last long after replacement (can work just couple of days or months). So far it's about 2months with games and no problems for me.

Another thing you need guys to be aware with this model: HDD password set from bios on this model is linked with the mobo's TPM chip. You won't be able to use it with a different (at least older) HP or other laptop - the password will not work ! I tried on HP 6910p and nc6400
    HP representative on the phone line in my country claimed it won't work at all unless its exactly same motherboard, but fortunately he was not right (I was able to enter& clear password on same 6930p model ). Anyways they don't warn you that you risk no access to your disk when you set the password without same laptop! Shame on them !! In my case it was couple days of unnecessary nerves & additional hassle with current work unavailable.

Now another thing: screen flickering issue. Unfortunately the same model I got as a replacement (before mine ATI was fixed) developed this and I've seen many people on the net saying it's the lcd cable. Did you encounter the LCD to be glued to the bezel or in other ways problematic to replace the cable ? Vids on YT suggest it shouldn't, I'll give it a try :)

The second piece I got also is older and it was true in some reviews that the battery is loose there ! I guess a proper thick piece of tape will fix this ;)
    Will update the main thread post about those.

10. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have bought this nice HP 6930p some months ago, second hand. I like it as I am coming from his small brother 6910p, so this one is some improvement.
    First thing I did was to replace the keyboard for a new one, from my home country (Spain).
    Then I removed all RAM and installed 4 Gb from Crucial. A few days ago I got 4Gb for a total 8 Gb RAM.
    It is running Win7 Ultimate SP1 x64.

Next step will be a new hard disk, larger than stock one. Perhaps I go for a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 750 Gb.

The graphics card ATI Radeon HD3400 is running last Sw version with OpenGL v3.3

Screenshot - 04_11_2014 , 15_01_35 002.png

Screenshot - 04_11_2014 , 15_01_58.png

Screenshot - 04_11_2014 , 15_03_40.png

Screenshot - 04_11_2014 , 15_04_15.png

Regards, Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.