HP 6930p owner's lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by przemke, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn't receive any email notifications about this thread for long.. and arghh my entire long post just got wasted because my laptop suddenly rebooted (think my hard drive is dying)
    But during writing I saw "progress saved" messages - can I retrieve that anyhow ?

2. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm getting furious with wifi on this machine. Anyone on winXP and wif link 5100 too?
    Since I switched back to XP from Vista I had connections problems: Every time after sleep/hibernation the card disconnects and I have to turn off wifi and on back again. Usually helps but sometimes have to do it several times or even restart system, sometimes disconnects by itself too. Tried different drivers and messing with cards' settings but no results.
    Today I replaced the card with 4965ag from 6910p and the bios and both windows don't see it at all (double checked). Same with 3945bg. (both are seen in nc6400 so should be fine). It's not the bios whitelist problem because it only appeared when I inserted broadcom and weren't able to boot then.

3. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could be XP's fault maybe? If I understood your post correctly, the problem started after you went from Vista back to XP, so maybe try running Vista again for a while and see if the problem still occurs. Also, I assume drivers are up-to-date?

I had the 5100 in my 6930p for over a year (before upgrading to an Atheros AR9380) and never had such problems. Then again, I'm running Windows 7.

4. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well it is most likely software/driver problem (but maybe hardware driven I only feel), I don't have to install vista just to confirm. And I tried different drivers as mentioned.
    Yesterday in desperation I tried many from both HP and intel because the card after installing it back didn't want to work at all. But it helped (only after reseating the card and uninstalling driver in safe mode). At least for now it doesn't disconnect after sleep. After hibernation though the problem is still here - had to delete connection and connect manually again to router to get around without restarting. It's the case on different routers and networks of course.
    So not sure which driver package it was exactly in this desperation action but main driver version states 14.3.2.1
    Think it may the intel package that I installed - by the way it's a total crapware - about 5 processes/services added to the system for one wifi card to work ? Similar like in one HP connection stuff. Are they all nuts ? Disabled all that unnecessary sh#$t of course right away.

But why the hell it doesn't see other HP cards that work in neither bios nor windows? Maybe if they are not "blacklisted" in bios it will allow to boot but if not "whitelisted" it will not let them work ...only guessing

Regarding your problem with expresscard (asnwered previously in my lost post @#$ !) did you check if in current mobo the usb 2.0 etc card work ? Maybe the slot is totally dead. If not then it might be tough like with my wifi problem :/

Tomorrow I'm planning to install system on an SSD drive (crucial M4 128gb) and hope for a huge boost in system performance. Any of you guys had any issues with SSD in this or similar HP laptop ?

Yes. Whole market of enthusiasts is waiting for them. Same could be for smartphones. I can't guess if they are either so bad not to notice it or have some huge issues/fears in creating it. So many years passed when it could be possible. User switchable graphics, screens, cooling, mobos with different chipsets etc.

Anyways speaking about worn touchpad I highly recommend wireless mouse to you guys (such with "nano" usb dongle) - they are efficient in use - as all mice are ;) - and last long on battery like 1-2months.

Regarding the HDMI it can also be possible with a cheap docking station too - 6930p is compatible with older stations for nc6400/6910p etc.

The battery has to be inserted- it is like that since nc6400 (some of those had also keyboard sensor, so it had to be tighly screwed for the wwan card to be detected).
    But there is no need for "smart discharging" as the laptop will only charge up to 100% and then stops charging until a level of 95 or 96% is reached I think. So no overcharge threat and no need to take out the battery in normal light use. Only thing they could improve is to allow to set that threshold down to 40-50% to optimize battery life - at that level of charge li-ion cells are told to last longest. Some Compals had this feature I think.
    So if you want to be perfect on battery discharge to about 50% and take out if not using battery.

5. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm considering purchasing a 2nd hand 6930p (seen a couple of deals for them under £80 in the UK) - I have spare components (T9400 CPU, 2x4GB DIMMs, SSD, etc) to upgrade it but the only stumbling block I can see is a proven 3rd party BIOS patch to remove the HP hardware whitelisting but potentially to update the SLIC as well.

Any recommendations on a good one to use, with preference given to one that's accessible via a boot up of a USB memory stick (to rule out issues with doing the patching via the Windows OS). Cheers :)

6. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    USB 2.0 cards work, so the slot isn't totally dead. But of course, like I said, such cards are just USB hubs and don't make use of the PCI Express lanes, like USB 3.0 or eSATA controllers.

For what it's worth, I've had an Intel X-25M G2 SSD in my 6930p for over a year now, and no issues whatsoever.

See here for non-whitelisted versions of the F.19 BIOS for both ATI and Intel models:
    This is no request thread! HP COMPAQ bioses, how to modify the bios? - Page 111

przemke: Maybe you could add a link to those to the first post?

7. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Updated useful links in the first post.

Today I got a new ultra capacity battery (95wh 14.8v) and in my case (ATI graphics and CCFL display so worst in battery life) it seems this battery will add 5-7 hours of light use -half brightness with wifi (will confirm when I have a full day to test this). Great thing about this ultra battery is that you can charge it outside of laptop with your regular power supply!
    So if you had two of these, you could stay without power cable all the time, by charging one battery and using the other one :) I also saw once a hP dedicated battery charger for regular batteries but with these you have to swap more often and shut down to replace them if don't want to use power supply for laptop.

Still hunting for my ssd though (this one should also increase battery life significantly if hdd stays out).

8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    dual-IDA no-whitelist 6930P bios is now available

Have created a dual-IDA, no-whitelist 6930P bios. It's available for download at http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...0-87x0-85x0-6x10-27x0p-25x0p.html#post6654683 .

The dual-IDA mod allows a HP installed 1066Mhz T9xxx or P8xxx CPU to run with an extra 0.5 multiplier and any user installed 800Mhz FSB T8xxx or T9xxx CPU to run with an extra full multiplier. . Eg: A P8600-2.4 can run at 2.53Ghz and a T9300-2.5 can run at 2.7Ghz when configured for dual-IDA mode using Throttlestop.

The no-whitelist mod allows no-HP wifi and WWAN cards. This means no error 104-wireless card not supported bios halt occurs.

9. przemke

przemke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nice one brother! :)
    Real-life performance gain seem to be small though, better for enthusiasts I guess.

By the way after I installed system (winXP 32bit) on an SSD now (crucial M4 128gb) I noticed improvement in system and program start up but not that huge compared to a fast hdd when fresh system is installed. I hope to see improvement (mean: operations will slow down less) when windows installation gets older because the drive doesn't get fragmented - do your experiences comply ? :)
    It may not be that good though I think as this ssd's TRIM function is not available in winXP as far as I know.

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    PLL is under the RAM slots -> easy to TME-unlock it to allow software overclocking

If you want more performance then I noted the PLL is accessible under the RAM slots and is the same ICS9LPRS397DKLF one a 2530P uses . So same TME-unlock mod I did to a 2530P here would allow a 6930P to also be software overclocked.

Core2duo CPUs have plenty of headroom so say a P8600-2.4 6930P could be easily overclocked to 2.85Ghz (266->300Mhz PLL + dual-IDA). I was able to get my 2530P PLL to run at over 320Mhz. At that PLL speed, the same P8600 would be clocked at 3.04Ghz. A T9600-2.8 would be running at 3.52Ghz, assuming it could have sufficient voltage to reliably run at that speed.

Feel free to link the dual-IDA mod and PLL pinmod details for the 6930P owners on the first page. They are a nice machine and these mods are pretty much free performance upgrades for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.