HP 6930p owner's lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by przemke, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jke

jke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @gouldmine: try eBay in the UK

2. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You'll probably have to get a new top cover, as the touchpad and trackpoint buttons are part of it. While the buttons can fairly easily be removed, even without any disassembly, I haven't seen anyone selling them separately.

The HP part number for the top cover assembly is 486303-001. A quick search on eBay.co.uk shows a number of listings, with prices starting as low as ~£13, though you might have to pay a bit more for one that doesn't have worn buttons.

See the 6930p maintenance and service guide here for information on how to remove and replace the top cover.

3. adriaticnyc

adriaticnyc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there TonyJZX,

I purchased my 6930p Elitebook used last December 2011 on EBay. I upgraded my HDD for the Seagate Momentus XT, upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB max and am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with Intel RST.

Your post mentioned HDMI. I love Matroska media file movies and TV episodes in HD! Especially if I can watch on a 27 to 42 inch 1080p HDTV device!.

HDMI is possible IF you do the following:

1. Get the HP port replicator with DVI-D digital output.
    2. Get a DVI-D to HDMI adapter (you can buy these on EBay and Amazon for very little cost - $2.00 to $9.00 depending on manufacturer).
    3. Get an Audio cable 3mm to connect from the port replicator audio "out" to the HDTV input
    4. Connect your HDMI cable to the DVI-D to HDMI adapter (going from HP port replicator into the HDTV).
    5. Adjust your HDTV so that it finds your PC display

The port replicator is a good tool and excellent workaround for getting HDMI connectivity to a HDTV.

My 6930p came with existing HP warranty and I had the lid latch problem "fixed". I did my own upgrade to the RAM and also installed a Gobi1000 3G WWAN into my 6930p (got it working with TMobile 3G UMTS webconnect after applying the early 2012 AT&T "fix"). I am going to extend my HP existing warranty with another year's protection via getting a Care Pack.

I am very happy with this machine. For $212 plus the cost of legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Office 2007 Professional Plus, pair of lifetime warranty 8GB RAM, and my Seagate Momentus XT SSD hybrid and Gobi1000...I am very happy, indeed. ;)

HP port replicators with DVI-D are very inexpensive - you can find them on EBay gently used.

Happy HP Business laptop user - this is laptop #4 since 2003. My first HP Compaq laptop with a business N800, then NC6000, followed by a NC6400. I used the NC6400 for a long time (more than 3 years) first with a clean install of Vista ultimate 64 and did a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB clean install of Windows 7 ultimate 64.

happy HP computing,

- Mary -
    adriaticnyc

4. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From a quick look on eBay, it might even be cheaper to get the entire top cover assembly than just the touchpad. Depends a bit on where you live and what the shipping costs are like, of course. But as long as the touchpad is in good enough condition, you can replace it, then re-sell the rest of the assembly with your current, worn touchpad to recuperate some costs.

Also, it's possible that the 8530p/w touchpad is compatible with the 6930p. I have a 8530p top cover assembly here (bought it some time ago to try and see if I could fit its 3 touchpad/trackpoint buttons into my 6930p and haven't gotten around to selling it yet), and at least visually the touchpads seemed identical. If you're interested and can find a 8530p touchpad cheaper, I'd be willing to check if it actually works. I'll be disassembling my 6930p soon anyway, for a motherboard swap.

Actually, that's not true. I'm using the fingerprint reader for logging in to Windows without any ProtectTools software. What you need is the AuthenTec drivers and TrueSuite software. Specifically, I'm using TrueSuite 2.0.0.57. If I recall correctly, I got it through Windows Update, as part of the "AuthenTec Inc. driver update for AuthenTec Inc. AES2810" update. See also this blog post.

Alternatively, if you don't mind paying some money, you can get the latest version of TrueSuite at AuthenTec's store for $20.

Edit: ProtectTools also enables you to log in using a smart card. I've found that EIDAuthenticate works well as an alternative. You'll need a smart card, of course; the website I linked to includes a list of compatible cards. One very neat feature is the ability to automatically lock the computer when the smart card is removed.

There are non-whitelisted versions of the F.19 BIOS for both ATI and Intel models here:
    This is no request thread! HP COMPAQ bioses, how to modify the bios? - Page 111

5. TonyJZX

TonyJZX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just a warning

don't upgrade to bios f.20

changelog: - Provides improved security for the BIOS flashing process.

its rsa signed and wont allow downgrading or whitelisting etc.

6. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Heads-up to 6930p owners looking to switch to a half-size mini-PCIe WLAN card - you may find, as I did, that two of the three antenna leads are too short to reach the connectors on a half-size card:

[​IMG]

(The arrows show where the leads should be plugged into. The WLAN card is an Atheros AR9380.)

Luckily there's a way to make the leads just long enough. You'll need to remove the screw in the bottom right corner of the display bezel (covered by a rubber bumper), and lift that corner of the bezel up. You'll see three antenna leads (two for WLAN, one for WWAN), plus a wider cable in a grounding sleeve (for the webcam) running underneath a metal tab and going into the hinge cover. Find the two WLAN leads, gently lift them up and tuck them into the next slot to the right:

[​IMG]

Then, just as gently, pull on the ends until the leads are long enough to reach the connectors on the WLAN card:

[​IMG]

Success! Now re-assemble everything and test that your new WLAN card works.

The only little problem is that the slot that the leads now occupy was meant for a plastic tab on the display bezel. Personally I just snapped it off - the bezel is also secured by mild adhesive and the nearby screw in the corner, so there should be no danger of it becoming loose.

7. ipkryss

ipkryss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today I got a used 6930p off from my work. This model uses the integrated Intel GPU and not the ATI card.

I just disassembled my old FL90 laptop which had a Nvidia 8800m GPU in it. Does anybody know if it is possible to stick this card in my 6930p? I dont want to have to disassemble this one just to find out...

Thanks in advance :)

8. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry, no. The GPU in the 6930p is soldered to the motherboard. If you want to change the GPU in your 6930p, you have to change the motherboard.

Also, your only upgrade option is the ATI HD3450, with either 128 or 256 MB of video RAM. Depending on what kind of games you want to play, it can be pretty decent - I got pretty smooth framerates in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Drakensang with medium settings and some tweaking with the 256 MB version.

For reference, the motherboard part numbers are as follows:
    Intel UMA graphics: 486301-001
    ATI w/ 128 MB VRAM: 486299-001
    ATI w/ 256 MB VRAM: 486300-001

Alternatively, you can try an eGPU setup. See the dedicated eGPU subforum for more information. According to the implementations and results table, at least two 6930p owners have done this successfully.

9. ipkryss

ipkryss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your quick and informative answer.

What a bummer! Would be great if they created laptops with standardized sockets and form factors so that we could pick and choose components to replace, just like we currently do on desktop computers.

10. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Question to 6930p owners with an Intel GPU - can you get PCI Express-based ExpressCards to work? For instance, USB 3.0 or eSATA controllers. I can't, the cards simply aren't recognised. The cards themselves work fine (checked in a few other laptops), and also worked in my 6930p when it had the ATI motherboard. USB 2.0 cards still work, but of course those are just hubs, rather than separate controllers, which makes me think that maybe the Intel GPU motherboard only has USB leads in the ExpressCard slot, while the ATI motherboard has PCI Express leads as well.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.