*HP 2510p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Feb 13, 2009.

1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    INFO: 200MHZ_bclk- a hardware based overclock for U7x00 2510P systems

[​IMG]

It is possible and very easy to do - disassemble the system. Then can either draw a track with a conductive pen OR solder a track over the R1041 and R1038 resistor pad locations as shown in red in the above image, derived from 2510P-Quanta-OT2-schematic.pdf. Then re-apply thermal paste to the CPU and reassemble. WARNING, the CPU will be locked to the x6 multiplier running at 0.85V, the lowest VID, no dualIDA capability. These parameters get locked and cannot be changed using rmclock/throttlestop, being Intel's anti-overclocking feature when the chipset and CPU set BSEL signals do not match. At 200x6, the CPU is in effect running like a 1.2Ghz SU2300 or SU9300. Since the CPU is running at the lowest VID, the CPU will average less power consumption than under stock bootup CPU voltage/divider settings. The I/O is running faster so may cause a small battery life decrease.

Observations? X3100 graphics is noticable faster, the CPU slower than my 1.6Ghz(160x10, or 178x9) overclocks. I used setfsb to overclock further, getting a stable 240Mhz PLL overclock bringing the CPU up to 1.44Ghz. 1.44Ghz was the point I had previously established was the highest my CPU could run at 0.85V. WEI results for a U7600-1.2 below show X3100 desktop results are faster than with any overclock possible when booting up the with the standard 133Mhz BCLK.

WEI@1.20GHz (133x9): 3.9/4.2/2.8/3.0/5.9 <-- stock BCLK=133Mhz bootup
    WEI@1.20GHz (200x6): 3.9/4.6/3.2/3.1/5.9 <-- bootup with BCLK=200Mhz
    WEI@1.44Ghz (160x9): 4.3/4.5/3.1/3.1/5.9 <-- stock BCLK=133Mhz bootup + setfsb overclock
    WEI@1.44Ghz (240x6): 4.3/4.9/3.5/3.2/5.9 <-- bootup with BCLK=200Mhz + setfsb overclock

Running the 200Mhz FSB sets different video timings as shown here and uses the stock 333Mhz spdtable RAM entry for timings. So there is no need to mess with SPDTool or Thaiphoon Burner.

I did a brief test with the VID2 pin to force the voltage regulator to deliver 0.9V volts to the CPU and increased the 333Mhz RAM SPDtable entry to use CAS=6 in an effort to provide greater overclockability. I could still not overclock beyond 245Mhz so likely it's a internal CPU cache or a chipset overclocking wall.

Overall we see the 200Mhz_bclk overclock gets great RAM and X3100 performance at the expense of keeping the CPU < 1.47Ghz. Since I prefer to have a higher 1.6-1.65Ghz CPU overclock, I've reversed this mod and just use a stock 133Mhz bootup + setfsb overclocking. If I was running < 1.44Ghz CPU speed then I'd do this mod for the noticably faster I/O. U7500-1.06 owners would get a nice overclock over stock speeds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. Ayori

Ayori Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I just got a cheap 2510p from ebay (like literally 45 mins ago) and would like to replace the hdd. So I've been reading around and the suggestions I've seen so far are the mtron 32gb ssd and renice k3vlar ssd. However, the links provided don't work and I couldn't find anything from ebay. Then I saw this Samsung HS122JC which is a 5400rpm hdd which should be faster than the MK4009GAL - 40 GB that my 2510p will come with. My questions are:
    -is it worth getting the samsung for $120~? or
    -just find a faster zif ssd?

Thanks!

3. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the 2510P Owner's Lounge.

Any ZIF HDD isn't going to improve things much since the PATA interface can't do NCQ. To see performance improvement consider going a ZIF SSD, examples below, or a 2.5" sata SSD via optical bay caddy. newegg recently had a 2.5" OCZ Agility 60GB for US$100AR. An ebay sata-to-pata caddy to host it can be had for < US$20-delivered.

64GB SuperTalent ZT2 ZIF SSD has been snagged for US$110 which is the cheapest ZIF SSD I've seen. I've made enquiries to identify what controller it uses.

Though I'd recommend a US$190 60GB Renice K3VLAR-E ZIF SSD. It uses a native PATA EWS720 controller giving a great balance of performance, low running temperature and battery life improvements.

4. krabich

krabich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I've flashed F.0F (267) Modified HP 2510P BIOS. Flashing was susscessfull, no errors in .log
    The laptop work's fine but i have "Your BIOS failed to complete the update, Please ensure that you follow the correct procedures and try again. This may require two sequential BIOS updates to complete the process." message every time at start-up.
    What may be wrong? Any ideas to fix it?
    Thanks

5. Ayori

Ayori Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering my question and the quick response. I'm going for k3vlar as you've suggested. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

6. Ayori

Ayori Newbie

Reputations:
    Lol. Just found out that I bought the K3VLAR without the native PATA EWS720 (that's the only product I saw in MDD by the way). Anyway reading your reviews, it should be fine for me.

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Added the following to the modded_bios section:

Bootup error after flash

If you get a message on bootup Your bios failed to complete the update. please ensure that you follow the correct procedures and try again. This may require two sequential bios updates to complete the process then apply mike60's fix here of flashing back to F.0E, flashing the non-modded F.0F then flashing a modded F.0F bios.

8. krabich

krabich Newbie

Reputations:
    nando4
    sequential bios updates
    "flashing back to F.0E => flashing the non-modded F.0F => flashing a modded F.0F bios"
    solved my problem
    Thank you!

9. zlewton

zlewton Newbie

Reputations:
    Help! Here is the deal (so far HP and 2 of their repair centers have been no help). I have a 2510p with the solid state hard drive from the factory (60GB). My 2510p suddenly lost all video output - black screen, power lights and stuff come on, but no screen, external monitor also doesnt work. I am told it is a failure on the motherboard of the video chip (resocketing the memory did not help) and would cost more than the laptop to replace.

1) If anybody recognizes this problem and has a fix cheaper than that, let me know, please. This is a depressing failure of what I thought was an awesome computer.

2) If I cant fix it, I need to get the data off the hard drive. The problem is, I am told the SSD has a special HP connector so there is no adapter to stick the drive in another machine. Does any body know of some way I can get this hard drive put in another computer so I can get the data off? Is there some kind of adapter to let me use this in another computer as a second hard drive?

thanks for any help - Zach

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear the bad news. First thing is to pull all power, reseat RAM/HDD, press and hold the power button for 30 secs, replug back together and hope the system now does power up. Also ensure the BIOS chip itself in the 1.8" drive bay is securely in place.

If no go consider purchasing the base U7700-1.33 2510P on ebay for US$72 with 2hrs to go. Just rip out the systemboard and replace your current one. Invest in a T10 screwdriver and some thermal compound (eg: Artic Silver) to be able to pull your existing system apart and reassemble again. Disassembly guides are linked on the first post. If doing such an operation, consider incorporating in 200Mhz_bclk overclock as well.

If instead you wish to retire the 2510P then to get the data off your ZIF HDD you'll need to invest in a US$7-delivered ZIF-USB enclosure.