*HP 2510p Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by master blaster, Feb 13, 2009.

1. thllxb

thllxb Newbie

Reputations:
    I found this not doable. When I try to install win7 to my RunCore which is in the USB enclosure that came with it, it says win7 cannot be installed to a disk that is connectted through USB.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Can you boot Linux (Ubuntu CD or a rescue USB/floppy?) If so, you could create the initial ntfs *aligned* Win7 partitions using Linux's fdisk as shown here. That might be enough then to allow you to install Win7 from the setup CD?? I say *might* because I have not seen this problem on my setup.

3. vragon

vragon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    is there anyone knows about the free usb port on the mainboard of 2510p.
    I'm very satisfy with my 2510p but I need to add an webcam.
    Any suggestion?

4. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    UPDATE: I believe the only unwhitelisted USB ports are the two free ones. The bios probes the others for the device type attached so may not be able to be tapped. The exception being the internal docking connector pins which has had a webcam added successfully as noted here.

INFO: Adding internal USB devices by tapping USB pins

The following info may help you to tap USB pins from places other than the supplied 2 USB ports.

1. the mPCIe WWAN uses pin 36 and 38 for USB , but did not work when I connected an external USB or WWAN via a PE4L-EC2C. Appears this port is only activated by the bios upon detecting certain mPCIe WWAN cards.

2. the wifi slot has no USB pins connected.

3. the bluetooth dongle comes up as a USB device, so could tap off it's pins

4. the fingerprint sensor comes up as a USB device, so could tap off it's pins

5. as mentioned, the internal docking connector's USB pins has had a webcam successfully added to it.

Path of least resistence: tap the docking connector's USB pins 33 and 34. See below.

[​IMG]
    Above: 2510P internal docking connector pads from the 2510P schematic

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  5. vragon

vragon Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for the quick reply.
    can you suggest me some slim webcam mode pulled out from hp laptop can be stick inside the screen like 2530p that using usb connection?

6. winkosmosis

winkosmosis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are the Newmodeus caddies specific to each laptop brand? I don't see Sony listed

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    INFO: Upgrade your stock 2GB 667MHz RAM to 800MHz for free

WARNING: This mod can brick your system. I take no responsibility for damage. Observe precautions.

This mod is only useful if you intend to use the same RAM module in another system that requires DDR2-800 RAM, eg: a 2530P. Otherwise the system will bootup and use the same 266Mhz RAM timings (or 333Mhz if have a L7700 2510p) yielding no performance benefits. One unusual side effect of this mod was that Everest reported the X3100 graphics Core Render clock runs at 500Mhz rather than 400Mhz. Seems the X3100 graphics is more overclock friendly too once apply this mod.

Warning! If something goes wrong and your notebook will not boot see bad ram flash recovery process. You'll need another notebook with 2 RAM module slots to be able to recover.

Right: Supplied HP 2GB RAM module before and after being flashed. PC2-5300's 200Mhz table entry replaced by PC2-6400's 400Mhz entry.
    [​IMG]
    PC2-5300 (667Mhz)
    [​IMG]
    PC2-6400 (800Mhz)
    This tutorial applies to the 2GB module the 2510P is delivered with. Mine was delivered with a HP Qimonda 64T256020EDL3SC2 PC2-5300 RAM stick for which this tutorial is written. If you have a 1GB or a different 2GB module, you'll need to find a proper flash-dump for your module. Thaiphoon Burner has an extensive database with a high chance it does have an appropriate flash-dump.

1. Download 14-day trial Thaiphoon Burner
    2. Extract and run Thaiphoon Burner
    3. Select 'EEPROM'->'Read SPD at 50h'. If doing this on a system with 2 RAM slots, check info shown is correct.
    4. Click 'Save'. This will save a dump of the RAM that you can reflash if something goes wrong.
    5. Click 'Browser'
    6. Click 'Download'. This will download a list of SPD dumps.
    7. In 'Search String' write 'qimonda', in 'Capacity' select '2048', in 'Architecture' select 'DDR2 SDRAM', click 'Search'
    8. Select '64T256020EDL2.5C2' [this has 266/333/400 timings instead of 200/267/333 as supplied]
    9. Click 'Open Dump'
    10. Click 'Write', select 'Full Rewrite'
    11. Select the right SPD Device Address (see step 3.)
    12. Select 'Use the current SPD dump from Hex Editor', click 'Write'
    13. After completion reboot and enjoy PC2-6400 functionality.

Acknowledgement. Adapted from Timeline tweaks for implementation on a 2510P.

8. ixc_

ixc_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

help me. I baught a new HDD (toshiba MK1214GAH) for my 2510p. When i insert to my machine and i'm lost the DVD-RW.
    If i unplug the hdd, then dvd-rw works fine.
    hdd is master on ide bus, dvd-rw is slave

what can i do?

sorry for my bad english

9. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Disclaimer: FSB overclocking means faster running frequencies which can result in higher operating temperature. Observe decent cooling precautions. I take no responsibility for any damage.

Saying that, my observation of implementing the steps below found the overclocked state has no noticable increase in cpu or gpu temperature. Certainly not getting anywhere near tjmax of 105 degrees. The DC undervolted/overclocked state runs lower temperatures than default.

INFO: 2510P Performance Toolkit 1.0c for Windows

This toolkit integrates Throttlestop, setfsb, baredit and hdparm from articles below into a set-and-forget automated installation to increase performance and extend battery life.
    Features being: an overclocked AC and undervolted DC profiles, automatic switching between them depending on power source and re-applying the profile when resuming-from-standby/hibernate.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In AC mode, Throttlestop will show in the system tray
    In DC mode, Throttlestop will remain active for 5 seconds in the system tray during which it will setup your specified voltage and dividers, then exit so as to consume as little resources as possible. The audio device is disabled by default in DC (Win7) to save even more power.

u7600@1.6 2510P's results above show it delivering SU7300 1810T/SU9400 X301. That's an impressve free performance upgrade. More OC benchmark results and suggestions here.

Installation instructions: confirmed working on XP/Win7 64-bit

1. Set your x3100 graphics' Power Settings using igfxtray to the more overclock tolerant "Maximum Battery". The key option that allows higher overclocking being "Intel Rapid Memory Power Management".

2. Download and install a dualIDA modded 2510P bios. This will provide an extra multipler giving more overclocking headroom.

3. Download 2510P-OC-Toolkit-1c.exe and extract it to c:\faster.

4. In Power Options -> change advanced settings -> Processor power management -> Minimum processor state, set "On battery" = 100% and "Plugged in" = 100%. This ensures then that Win7 will not interfere with the Throttlestops' multiplier selections.

5. (Optional) Edit c:\faster\params.bat setting the div specific to your 2510P's CPU divider. Defaults should be OK.

Code:
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    :: CPU table params=[dualIDA on/off, cpu multiplier, freq_ac, freq_dc] 
    :: The multiplier is the native one of the CPU                       
    :: Appears video driver kicks up power consumption with FSB > 160
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    :: For U7xxx ensure FSB < 166 and total freq < 1600
    :  For L7xxx ensure FSB < 222 and total freq < 2000 (guess)  

if %cpu%==U7500 set params=on,   8, 166, 166
    if %cpu%==U7600 set params=on,   9, 160, 160
    :: if %cpu%==U7600 set params=off,  9, 178, 178
    if %cpu%==U7700 set params=off, 10, 160, 160
    if %cpu%==L7500 set params=on,   8, 222, 222
    if %cpu%==L7700 set params=off,  9, 222, 222
    Optional: unset audio_dev if don't want it disabled when switch to DC mode. Unset wifi_dev if don't want it restarted on
    AC<->DC switch. Placing "hdd_set=off" in c:\faster\params.bat disables hdd_set.bat. hdd_set sets the slave channel to work at full > 30MB/s write performance plus can set standby parameters of your second HDD.

Code:
    set audio_dev="HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1981&SUBSYS_103C30C9"
    set wifi_dev="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&CC_0280"
    set hdd_set=on
    6. Place a shortcut to c:\faster\resume-faster.vbs in your Startup Folder to provide automatic AC/DC profile switching on startup and after a resume-from-standby/hibernate. This will be seen as a process wscript.exe in task manager running as a loop consuming very little cpu.

7. Place a shortcut to c:\faster\2510P-restart.bat on your desktop. Use this to restart your system. This will downclock your system to the 133Mhz default FSB, then restart your system. Restarting without this will otherwise see you lose your wifi. setfsb takes 10 seconds to downclock (!!).

8. If using "hdd_set=on" then install BarEdit now, which will require a system reboot.

Now just enjoy the higher overall cpu/ram/x3100 and full slave PATA performance, including longer battery life :)

Optional Steps for tweaking the default params.bat overclocked settings

1. Test your overclock by using Orthos or Everest System Stability Test. Consider too setting lower dividers in TS so can increase the FSB without hitting CPU overclock walls.
    If wanting to try > 178Mhz FSB, suggest writing CAS=5 in the 267Mhz SPD RAM table using Thaiphoon Burner as otherwise it will be flakey.

2. Once satisfied with your highest stable AC overclock, set your preferred AC and DC frequencies in params.bat. The DC frequency will be limited by (i) how far can downclock (ii) highest overclock at lowest stable voltage. On my system I've just set Throttlestop to run a DC profile with the same FSB as used for AC but limited the multipler to x9, so it's 1.44Ghz@0.85V (160x9).

BUG #1: Frozen PLL after standby/resume workaround

A resume-from-standby/hibernate might result in an Frozen PLL Error, unique to the TME-locked 2510P PLL. Clicking OK then do another suspend/resume to unfreeze the PLL.

After applying grub2 bootloader OC [I OC to 1.44Ghz there] and the quiet_fan ACPI mod, and 2510P Performance Kit I now no longer get the frozen PLL after resume-from-standby in XP/Win7. This suggests to me that the PLL state is saved by ACPI during startup.

BUG #2: Must have battery installed: if don't have battery in the system when resume-faster.vbs starts up, then will have a startup error line 26, char 1: Invalid procedure call or argument, since it requires the PowerManagement module to do AC/DC profile switching. Install the battery to correct this error.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    [Advanced Users] Details about the AC/DC profile of my u7600-1.2

Kit above is designed for any user to be able to install and benefit from. For advanced users wanting to know more...

- my u7600's default CPU voltagers/dividers are x6=0.85V x7=0.875V x8=0.9V x9=0.9V. The CPU can accept voltages: min=0.85V and max=0.1V in 0.125Mhz increments. Voltages above 0.9V are unlocked by Throttlestop.

- I have used another 2510P that had higher tolerances. With CAS=5 set, it was able to overclock up to 1.75Ghz when it would BSOD. A 1.65-1.7 stable overclock being possible. It's higher idle power consumption meaning it supplied more power to system components. Higher power means higher overclockability. I believe my systems is on the lower power/lower overclockability end of the spectrum.

- Under Linux I run a 1.42Ghz overclock. 1.5Ghz will freeze under heavy load. Appears related to the X3100 graphics. The xorg driver doesn't offer a more overclock tolerant "Maximum Battery" X3100 option.

I would anticipate each system having a unique set of parameters, with the ones supplied a good general purpose fit to do further investigation from. Specific voltage requirements and dividers can be setup by "turn off" Throttlestop, applying settings, then turning it on again.

highest u7600 overclocking settings found

Previous OC testing using a x9 multiplier found my U7600 cpu hits an instability wall at > 1.67Ghz. Stock RAM timings were good for up to 1.6Ghz (178Mhz FSB). Any more required CAS=5 written to the RAM. I found that the 178Mhz FSB would also intermittently freeze the X3100 graphics on startup. Seems like it needed time to warm up to get a 100% consistent overclock. For that reason I reverted to a 160x10 dualIDA overclock instead with no such inconsistencies.

I did further FSB overclocking limits testing. The cpu multiplier was locked in rmclock at x8 so the CPU was not the wall, and RAM's 266Mhz SPDtable set for 200/400Mhz operation so could go beyond 200Mhz FSB if the system could do so. I found the rest of the system (northbridge/X3100 graphics) becomes unstable > 195Mhz FSB, parameters which cannot be tweaked. So my particular 2510P's profile is:

- u7600 CPU is unstable > 1.65Ghz
    - stock RAM timings are OK for up to 178Mhz FSB. Any more needs *just* CAS=5 written to SPDtable.
    - rest of system can support up to 194Mhz FSB. Any more gets random reboots.
    - x3100 graphics needed to warm up if want > 160Mhz FSB.

These three constraints then mean I have the following stable maximum u7600 overclock options:

* 1.60Ghz@FSB=160 (CPU multilpler=x10, RAM: no changes -> required dualIDA modded bios)
    * 1.60Ghz@FSB=178 (CPU multiplier=x9, RAM: no changes)
    * 1.63Ghz@FSB=181 (CPU multiplier=x9, RAM: CAS=5)
    * 1.55Ghz@FSB=194 (CPU multiplier=x8, RAM: CAS=5)

The first is the easiest to setup as works with stock RAM timings and is stable. The second is slightly faster but might be problematic. The third and forth require the RAM SPDtable to be modified with Thaiphoon Burner to have CAS=5. Compared to 1.5@166Mhz FSB, 1.5@187Mhz sees Win7's WEI desktop video and ram increase by 0.2 points as shown on the top of this post.

10. ixc_

ixc_ Newbie

Reputations: