HP 17 G5 Owner lounge

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by man4mopar, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, my PSU gets very hot as well. I think HP should have supplied a 230W PSU instead of 200W. I tried one of the older (huge) HP 230W PSUs with an adapter to see if it would work but the laptop did not detect the power supply.

If the exhaust air is cool that sounds like the heatsink isn't conducting heat away from the cpu. I wonder if the heatsink was seated properly? Or it could be that bad HP paste. When I first got the laptop the cpu would thermal throttle at 99 deg C. After a repaste and thermal pad change I can't get it beyond 88 deg C no matter what I do. No more thermal throttling. On my machine the vented air is definitely hot.

I dunno. All of the manufactures seem to have had problems with their pro machines. The picture isn't too pretty on the Dell, Lenovo and Apple side either. There are MSI, Boxx, Clevo etc. to think about, but we won't get pro support from them.

2. Eclipse2016

Reputations:
    Just an update. I was noticing that my machine had a pretty ordinary Cinebench score of 1987. I then noticed the CPU was only using 35W at the time. I went into Throttlestop and set Speedstep to '0' and locked turbo boost to a power draw of 61W on my CPU. Well, good grief, that turned things around. The Cinebench score shot up by almost 1000 points to 2740. Wow. The only sad part is that it took me ten months to finally realize what this machine can really do.

triturbo likes this.
  3. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    edit

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  4. man4mopar

man4mopar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have had the replacement for awhile now, things are running well and stable. Feeling air temp changes on this one when benching now. Running Cinebench R15.038 my package power is staying at rough 70w instead of dropping in the 20-30w ranges. Scores are steady 1300-1330 cpu which compared to other 8850 cpu scores is meeting my expectations.
    Keeping this one as it is delivering the performance I was after for photo editing and light gaming. Love the dream color screen and ability to work in sRGB and aRGB color spaces for web and printing.

Added ram and storage spec as using- 8850H cpu, P3200 gpu, 48gb ram, OS on 500gb nvme, 2tb Intel 660p nvme and a 2tb hdd.

Eclipse2016 likes this.
  5. Eclipse2016

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update and congrats on getting a properly working machine. I just ordered a couple parts from HP Parts Surfer which, surprisingly, was a smooth experience. At least now we can be sure of getting replacement parts as needed.