[HowTo] SO-DIMMs Extreme: Boost 1600 to 2133 and beyond / JEDEC & XMP

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by James D, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    Finally received my Vengeance sticks!!!

install went down without a hitch, funnily stock speed wasnt at 1600 but at 1866 Mhz 10-10-10-28-1T, so less manual overclocking for me to take care of :D

first step was to set them via intel xtu 2.1 to the corsair-specified 2133 Mhz 11-11-11-31-1T and check if my memory controller could handle it. boot and memtest86+ didnt show any issues, so this is what ive got thus far (CPU-Z and HWInfo64):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the moment im tightening the timings one by one, CL is stable at 10, even managed to boot my rig at 9 but it wouldnt stay stable in memtest. next stop: tRCD! :D

2. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Wait wait.. So you basically increasing the bus clock from 800MHz to 1064MHz and this mean you max CPU frequency is 5.7GHz.. How does this not increase the temps of the CPU when its running at that freqency? :)

3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    haha nooo, that 5.9 Ghz shown in hwinfo is just the max. multi u can set! of course my cpu aint stable at that speed, it only goes up to 4.9 :p (stable at 4.7 ;) ) also, the ram gets a different divider with each speed step, so at 2133 mhz that would be 10.67, whereas busclock stays at 100 mhz ;) for everyday usage i keep my cpu at 2.7 ghz, since im also using a smaller 120w psu at work, which in turn maxxes out at that specific cpu clock.

btw, making progress with the timings here, these modules truly are beasts! ill give an update later once i nailed the tightest memtest-stable timings :)

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    done aaaand DONE! :D

look at this tRAS timing!!!! i just couldnt believe my eyes when i found this as the stable value :eek::err::D

[​IMG]

and this is what i got in MaxxMEM2 :cool:

[​IMG]

totally happy with these results and i must say i can actually feel the difference when comparing the overall system snappiness with my previous RAM config! especially at work when handling those bigass excel files with tons of raw data i have to wait a little bit less when opening them a bunch at a time :D:thumbsup:

PS: question to the RAM pros - would it make sense, performance-wise, to try and tweak the "further down the road" RAM timings? such as tRRD, tWR, tRTP, tWTR, tRFC and tFAW....?

Attached Files:

5. SeasideGR

SeasideGR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello to the community and greetings from Greece.

I bought 1 year back the following laptop

HP DM4 Beats Edition 3099se from EBAY (came from the States)

Since i decided to keep this piece berause i like it a lot i was thinking to add memory and i need for sure few tips.

I bought the laptop with the i5-2450m/35TDP but 2 weeks back i upgraded to i7-2820QM/45TDP , msata SSD i530 and a HGST 1TB HDD 7200RPM. At the same time i upgraded the psu (genuine) from 65W to 90W (genuine)

The price difference between the 2820QM and the 2920XM was not so high but this laptop is not designed or not equiped/vented properly to run a 55TDP CPU. That's why i bought the 2820QM for 129USD regarding the 189USD of the 2920XM

I have now 2x4GB 1600Mhz so-dimms from diff manufacturers. I was surprised when i installed the 2820QM and i saw the memory at 1333. The sticks are 1.50v and the chipset is HM67

From what i've heard and seen/read around here Corsair + GSkill so-dimms are oriented mainly for Clevo/Sager/Eurocom or Alienware machines since those have unlocked BIOSes and few of them use even desktop hardware.

I don't want to mess with TBurner (since i don't own it) and i want a plug and play solution. Please advise which kit i must search or buy in order to gain few MHZ in my memory setup.

1)Old Hyper-X at 1.50v ?
    2)New Hyper-X Impact 1.35v/1.50v ?

or something different. Thanks in advance.

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    important thing is to go for PnP (plug and play) so-dimms instead of XMP (xtreme memory profile) sticks. the former run at their advertized speed (e.g. 1600), while the latter need to be overclocked manually via bios or intel XTU. iirc the hyperX series are always PnP so u should be good to go with either kit :) although the 1.35V ones would potentially have more headroom for overclocking, in case u decide to go for that...

cheers

7. TURBODUDE!!!

TURBODUDE!!! Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Prema and unityole like this.
  8. Rhadamanthis

Rhadamanthis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, i have a kingston hyper x KHX1600C9S3/8G, Total 16 gb ram (2x8gb), anyone have a better spd to share to flash?

9. SeasideGR

SeasideGR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to thank jaybee83 & TURBODUDE!!! for their answers / replies

I hope my DM4 don't have locked BIOS or something like that. I will go for the New Hyper-X

10. Oxford_Guy

Oxford_Guy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have just ordered 16GB (2*8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3L@2133Mhz for my new XMG P505, should get both next week. Think I need to use the Prema Mod Bios to get over 1866Mhz speeds, will post the outcomes here. The Kingston HyperX 2133Mhz was a little cheaper, but the Corsair has better CAS timings.